Q for peski again

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seaglass

Quantum Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, what can you do to make yourself more competitive for an US fellowship (particularly your fellowship). Aside from being Roja I mean.

Casey

Members don't see this ad.

Seaglass said:
Hey, what can you do to make yourself more competitive for an US fellowship (particularly your fellowship). Aside from being Roja I mean.

Casey

Casey,

The NUMBER ONE attribute that I look for in a fellow is that he/she is easy to get allong with, my approach to fellowship education is a very close interaction with the fellow. Days, evenings, and nights are all open for education in my program. Tape review is either in our EM US office or at my house on a 92 inch high def home theater, so we have to get along! An appretition of great food, beer and wine is a MUST.

Obviously I think a strong interest in EM US is critical, but significant experience is not a must, as my occuption is train fellows in EM US, EM US research and administration.

With the potential to have exposure by doing an EM US elective rotation at a program with a very active EM US program (with or without) a fellowship, is a positive, as the applicant has a strong understanding of high end US use in the current ED climcate.

EM US research is a big plus but not a mandate as certain aspects of research in EM US are unique and many of us realize that some institutions are not at the point of their EM US programs to perfomr a great deal of US research thus it is not a mandate for many of us, but it is a big plus for me as we perform a great deal of US research.

Feel free to PM me and I'll give you my cell # and we'll talk!
[email protected]

Paul

I guess the real question is whether peksi is correct, or peski?

Members don't see this ad :)
Seaglass-

I'm not sure what, in general, makes someone competitive. I know what our own institution looks for, which tends to have a high number of applicants. Aside from all the regular stuff, what it seems to really boil down to is what Dr. Sierzenski said, personality!

Our new and most recent fellows have all rotated here, thus the directors were familiar with them.

I have found that the best thing, aside from simply scanning alot, that has helped me out is the Ma "emergency ultrasound" text. It is surprisingly easy to read, has great pictures (crucial) as well as simple how to instructions. (ie, I had a patient with very difficult access, refusing any EJ or central line and I had read about u/s guided basilic vein. As he was in CHF and SLNTG were not working, I cracked open the Ma, read it, looked at the pics and viola! Access. I have done it several times since and it works great.

So its a very helpful text that is easy to use. While direction is definately better, you can still really do a lot with the Ma book alone. There is tons of research to be done as well. I did a small research project as an intern and am working on a larger one now...

I am planning to sit for my RDMS in a month or so. Wether or not this makes me competitive is another story. What I do feel comfortable with is having the skills to go and encorporate U/S in my day to day practice.

One has to think seriously as to why you want to do an ultrasound fellowship. It is much more than just learning to scan. Its about CQI, department establishment, learing the details and subtlities of running an ultrasound department.

Chris Fox, MD in california also has a great program, similar to Dr. Sierzenski's, where scans are reviewed on video. Definately something I would recommend if you are going to spend time doing an elective.

Seaglass said:
I guess the real question is whether peksi is correct, or peski?

It is PESKI, the peksi was a typo on my END...again feel free to call me or PM.

I'd be glad to give you direct feedback and info about our program at CCHS, as well as put you in touch with current and past fellows.

For your info, ACEP will be publishing EM US Fellowship Guidlines, to aid applicants on what many of us view as critical components to EM US fellowships.

I'm sure you will find that the majority, if not all EM US Fellowship Directors are pretty down to earth folks, who will gladly discuss their programs, or EM US with anyone who has an interest in these topics!

Paul