Yale M.D. says all doctors should be forced to wear BODYCAMS because of racist “medial violence” against patients she personally witnessed by ED staff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Birdstrike

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Discuss

Members don't see this ad.

Discuss

I would love to be able to provide footage of some of the racist, toxic, bigoted, verbally and physically violent **** that my patient population directs towards our medical staff.

• Love
Reactions: 32 users
Discuss

If patients get to dictate what is done with the footage: No.
If patients are allowed to request the footage but I am similarly allowed to do so and release it publicly: Sign me up.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This seems like the exact person I would never want to work with.

The body cam footage has the same issues as all the yelp reviews of physicians. HIPAA prevents us from defending ourselves. Some POS patient gets this and they can edit and release whatever they want but I cant release anything to defend myself or give my narrative.. Heck no.

Reactions: 12 users
There are a lot of issues with body cams in the ED / on physicians.

I do agree with her underlying premise that systemic racism and individual racists can cause medical harm.

I also get almost weekly complaints about “racist” care in my own ED that usually do not appear to be racist (eg you didn’t get a lumbar mri bc we don’t have an mri and there was no indication, not because the doctor is a KKK member). That said do people of color get put in hallway beds more often? Get less analgesia for the same complaints? Wait longer in the WR for the same esi/complaint? Studies have said yes, and we should be aware of this and attempt to fix it.

But I don’t see cameras helping those issues. If we could release the footage of the massive abuse we take daily i would agree to wear one :)

Reactions: 12 users
There are a lot of issues with body cams in the ED / on physicians.

I do agree with her underlying premise that systemic racism and individual racists can cause medical harm.

I also get almost weekly complaints about “racist” care in my own ED that usually do not appear to be racist (eg you didn’t get a lumbar mri bc we don’t have an mri and there was no indication, not because the doctor is a KKK member). That said do people of color get put in hallway beds more often? Get less analgesia for the same complaints? Wait longer in the WR for the same esi/complaint? Studies have said yes, and we should be aware of this and attempt to fix it.

But I don’t see cameras helping those issues. If we could release the footage of the massive abuse we take daily i would agree to wear one :)
Ill point out of all your examples the only one that is MD related is the pain medicine piece. I dont decide when/which patients get pulled and i dont decide where they go.

Reactions: 1 users
Ill point out of all your examples the only one that is MD related is the pain medicine piece. I dont decide when/which patients get pulled and i dont decide where they go.
Well the operations of the entire department ARE MD related, but if you are just shift working / per diem I understand your POV. Just easy examples of systemic bias which have been published.

And having read thousands of complaints, the captain of the ship gets blamed for everything regardless. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Woke politics gone haywire.

• Dislike
Reactions: 8 users

ARTICLE said:
Amanda Joy Calhoun is an adult/child psychiatry resident at Yale School of Medicine/Yale Child Study Center. She is an expert in the mental health effects of anti-Black racism, with a focus on medical racism, and is currently writing a book.

popcorn-dance-gus-psych-67q25t3r8qxwumdt.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Doctors can be sued for medical negligence, but medical malpractice claims require time, money and substantial evidence. Even with strong evidence, a study found doctors still win 50% of the time. Further, even if medical negligence is proven in courts, it does not automatically mean the doctor responsible will lose their medical license. A doctor who engaged in racist care resulting in the death of a Black patient might still carry on treating Black patients.

They definitely require time but not evidence. Or at least, substantial evidence. Some of the lawsuits in my group make my soul hurt for how frivolous they are.

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

house is paid off in 6 more years, the exact amount I'm going to tolerate this work...............in the meanwhile my goal is to not kill any black patient due to florid self-neglect despite multiple warnings how important going to dialysis is or taking blood pressure medicin---I mean, racism

This is also gold:

Amanda Joy Calhoun is an adult/child psychiatry resident at Yale School of Medicine/Yale Child Study Center. She is an expert in the mental health effects of anti-Black racism, with a focus on medical racism, and is currently writing a book

I like how she claims to be an expert but is still a resident. So she's....one of those people. We all knew one of those people in residency.

Even if it is a powerhouse.

Reactions: 11 users
A) racism does exist within medicine

B) this psych resident is an idiot who is confabulating. She’s done 2 years of psych residency and apparently has a million anecdotes of working with the KKK in the emergency department at Yale after maybe 15 shifts?

C) encouraging people to take an adversarial attitude towards their medical staff is going to lead to WORSE care not better, which is the thing that pisses me off the most about “advocates” like this. Arguing about why you are being treated unfairly when you are a layman who has no concept of “standard of care” leads to less attention/care, no matter who you are. If she actually cared about the groups she is supposedly standing up for she would recognize this.

D) I have no idea what the solution is to fixing some of the biased behavior towards minorities/women among medical staff, but releasing edited video footage obviously isn’t going to undo 100s of years of oppression

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Birdstrike is a prophet.

I don't doubt her account that there are some racist nurses and doctors out there, but body cam is a bad idea. I mean, that would be my trigger to quit emergency medicine.

I cannot imagine being on camera whenever I answer a code, intubate, place a central line, or do a routine patient interview. Having to worry every time I leave my shift if I missed something that could be handed to a malpractice attorney.

I don't see this happening since that would make us uninsurable. Police can wear body cams since they are basically indemnified and can't get sued. Taxpayers foot the bill for their misdeeds.

I have heard racists comments from all races AND most of the time it’s just crude jokes not intended to hurt.

Put cameras on everyone and you know only “select” woke jokes would be investigated.

Well the operations of the entire department ARE MD related, but if you are just shift working / per diem I understand your POV. Just easy examples of systemic bias which have been published.

And having read thousands of complaints, the captain of the ship gets blamed for everything regardless. :)
Yes and I have been involved in leadership and I can say no one ever asked me at any meeting or on shift, hey can we put this patient there other than it relating to their complaint/acuity etc.

Reality is at few places do docs really have control. I have worked 2 jobs since I graduated. I am not a locums/per diem type doc. I was and have been very involved at both my jobs. Again, no one asks me about when to pull patients from the WR or where they are placed. Perhaps your experience is different.

Reality - society is racist, people are racist and docs and nurses are human. I grew up in a very very diverse part of the country, very few white people. My HS was 12% white and that was generous. My HS GF was half white and half columbian and her demographic was white. My HS Fball team had 3 white guys.. thats all.

That being said the racism that flowed was insane. Black vs black, hispanic vs hispanic, black vs hispanic and vice versa.

People have since the beginning of time tried to elevate themselves over others, be this race, religion ethnicity, hair color etc. Where my wife grew up the lutherans and catholics hate each other. In India there was the caste system (which while unnamed still exists).

In an ideal world these things wouldnt matter but humans are like crabs trying to climb out of a boiling pot of water.

We legitimately have thousands of other more pressing issues in Medicine than this woke nonsense.....

Reactions: 7 users
It’s kinda funny/sad that she sees bodycams as a method to end racism in medicine through the mass stripping of licenses that she sees as the natural of regular bodycam use.

If you read the original oped piece, that’s her belief. That racial disparities in outcomes are the direct result of explicit racism that can be objectively proved with video footage. And that footage will lead to the offending doc losing their license in the same way that shooting an unarmed kid in the back should get a cop fired.

She then backs her case for explicit racism in healthcare by citing the case of a relative who had unrecognized anaphylaxis by a triage nurse, an older physician that admitted for COVID that was discharged despite subjective SOB then bounced back and ultimately died, and a post partum hemorrhage where CT delays led to a death. Not smoking guns.

Last edited:
Yes and I have been involved in leadership and I can say no one ever asked me at any meeting or on shift, hey can we put this patient there other than it relating to their complaint/acuity etc.

Reality is at few places do docs really have control. I have worked 2 jobs since I graduated. I am not a locums/per diem type doc. I was and have been very involved at both my jobs. Again, no one asks me about when to pull patients from the WR or where they are placed. Perhaps your experience is different.

Idgaf about ED operations.

Admin won't give me any control about the operations I might actually care about, yet they want me to be involved in the things that idc about.

Pay me profit sharing, then I'll care.

This is one of the biggest problem with our society. If you look for something you will find it. Shocking right?

If you want to prove there is racism, throw a body cam eventhough 99+% of Americans are good people.
If you want to prove there is hunger, ask some kid that missed a meal eventhough we have the fattest population in the world.
If you want to prover there is homelessness, go into the woods in any Major city.

Some want to make America perfect, completely equal. Not gonna happen. Time to move on and accept we live in one of/if not the best country in the world. Want me to prove it? Check out how many want to come and how many are leaving.

The evidence is clear that the US has a race problem in medicine. Outcomes for Black Americans are worse than they could be. We can do better.

But bodycams will not make things better. There's a huge difference between policing, where body cams could make you think twice about whether that use of force is warranted, and medicine, where a decontextualized chuckle can make a really wonderful person seem like a monster.

Reactions: 7 users
Black Americans typically are sicker, more medical problems, less preventive, more obese, etc. No doubt they will have worse outcome.

How much is from race issues, who knows but its smaller than most make it to be from my experience.

Yale doc is brilliant. By stating this, she has become untouchable. She essentially has become tenured at 28.

• Wow
The evidence is clear that the US has a race problem in medicine. Outcomes for Black Americans are worse than they could be. We can do better.

But bodycams will not make things better. There's a huge difference between policing, where body cams could make you think twice about whether that use of force is warranted, and medicine, where a decontextualized chuckle can make a really wonderful person seem like a monster.
Is it a race problem or is it because some people are more prone to poverty and many other issues that correlate with poor health?

This resident is a shining example of where some people want medicine to head. I suspect if she got her way, the people who she thinks she is trying to help would get worse care and have worse outcomes.

I've noticed a lot of clickbait articles like this are written by residents. Not counting of course the epic GI bleed from that old IM doc.

• Love
I've noticed a lot of clickbait articles like this are written by residents. Not counting of course the epic GI bleed from that old IM doc.
lol, i'm just waiting until she gets wind of this thread and starts b*tching sanctimoniously on here about comments made on this thread like the other guy.

• Haha
lol, i'm just waiting until she gets wind of this thread and starts b*tching sanctimoniously on here about comments made on this thread like the other guy.
I know someone that has interacted with her for a consulting side gig. Take what you expect a third year psych resident’s knowledge of how an ED functions to be then go lower. She had feels about the fact that we don’t consent patients for gene therapy studies in the ED.

But as emergent pointed out, she has positioned herself beautifully. She’s parlayed a couple of first author low impact articles into a low effort consulting gig worth tens of thousands of dollars and adopted a scorched earth stance that means she’d be untouchable at whatever institute hires her as an attending. And since she’s child psych, she gets to have as little participation in the system she’s an “expert” in as she wants.

Idgaf about ED operations.

Admin won't give me any control about the operations I might actually care about, yet they want me to be involved in the things that idc about.

Pay me profit sharing, then I'll care.
Hospitals havent been doing so hot since COVID so you may as well consider you are getting profit sharing the amount is the same unless you work for HCA. those scam artists know how to make a nickel.

Tripping all over herself on the way to play the victim card on the uno table.

Lol.
Next.

• Haha

after claiming she stood and watched black teen die in ER as white colleagues 'chuckled​

I mean - back of the napkin estimates I have been to over 2-3000 codes in my career. Do people laugh and make jokes during a code? definitely, it is a coping mechanism after you watch people die so much. Does it mean they are racist? not at all. (and this is coming from someone who is definitely to the left politically of the majority of this site I am guessing)

Body cams are such a horrible idea and I seriously doubt wont do anything to solve actual racism

How many codes have I ran where the 80 YO NH pt dies. We do a "weak" code, call it, and joke that it was for the best.

I guess we are just Agiest!!

This resident is a shining example of where some people want medicine to head. I suspect if she got her way, the people who she thinks she is trying to help would get worse care and have worse outcomes.
The most obvious outcome being that docs will just cherry pick white patients.

But I'd be in urgent care nearly immediately after an announcement like this was made in my ED. I'm currently in process taking on casual urgent care and locums EM positions such that I can't be trapped as easily.

She's a psychiatry resident. I originally thought she was an emergency medicine resident.

As others have pointed out, I'm sure there are racist physicians and nurses out there. I doubt that her sister was made to wait over her allergic reaction because she was African American. Probably had to wait because she didn't have a life-threatening emergency. My last shift I saw a white person who waited 6 hours before being seen because he wasn't serious.

Sounds like somebody just wants to get attention.

Black Americans typically are sicker, more medical problems, less preventive, more obese, etc. No doubt they will have worse outcome.

How much is from race issues, who knows but its smaller than most make it to be from my experience.

Correction:
Poor people typically are sicker, more medical problems, less preventive, more obese, etc. No doubt they will have worse outcome.

You are conflating class with race.

Can you imagine these scenarios though? Your body cam footage in front of 12 lay-people, your "peers"...

1.) Patient wrenching and moaning asking for dilaudid due to their gastroparesis....neglected because the doc didn't give pain meds
2.) Patient in pain from their sciatica for 6 months demanding an MRI at 3am with no focal deficits...neglected because they didn't call in the on-call MRI team when this could have been an emergency
3.) That psych patient that may be a little organized but still you know they don't need to leave from years of experience and an off-camera phone call from loved ones tell you that you are correct...held against their will and the jury thinks they are competent
4.) That level 1 trauma that you throw a non-sterile fem line in and develops some type of sepsis later but didn't ever crash?..neglected because you probably could've taken the extra few minutes to do it sterile because they weren't crashing YET.
5.) Related to number 4. Any procedure that you do sterile that the patient ends up developing an infection and the body cam footage you accidentally brushed the edge of the table with your pinky...the pinky was obviously the cause of sepsis in the person with 10 co-morbidities on prograf who is has recurrent resistant infections. It was the pinky though.

The list could go on and on. We do a lot of things that a video can't do justice to. We make split second decisions that are life and death and putting a snap-shot video of part of a patient encounter does nothing for us. Sure, we could use it in some cases to show a belligerent patient or whatever but I don't think it would be a good thing overall.

Reactions: 9 users
I’m at the beginning of my career, still have a lot of loans to pay off. I’d quit immediately if body cams were put into the ED. Literally anything else.

Does anyone feel this anti-racism stuff is getting out of hand?

I live in a blue city in a blue state, I am a moderate liberal, I (think I) try to check my bias at the door, etc etc. More and more these days, I'm made to feel like I've committed an injustice just by my existence as a non-Black/non-Hispanic doctor. Should I be sorry that I wanted to become a doctor, worked really hard and got in and as a result, a racial/economic/sexual minority did not get in? Meanwhile we're celebrating all of these anti-racism "activists" (if not celebrating, then at least giving them a megaphone with all this attention)

I guess this is why they ended affirmative action. Maybe I should just vacation in Florida and see what anti-woke feels like.

Does anyone feel this anti-racism stuff is getting out of hand?

I live in a blue city in a blue state, I am a moderate liberal, I (think I) try to check my bias at the door, etc etc. More and more these days, I'm made to feel like I've committed an injustice just by my existence as a non-Black/non-Hispanic doctor. Should I be sorry that I wanted to become a doctor, worked really hard and got in and as a result, a racial/economic/sexual minority did not get in? Meanwhile we're celebrating all of these anti-racism "activists" (if not celebrating, then at least giving them a megaphone with all this attention)

I guess this is why they ended affirmative action. Maybe I should just vacation in Florida and see what anti-woke feels like.

It got out of hand a long time ago.

Teachers then: "Time to learn how to add two digit numbers."
Teachers now: "Your whiteness made you evil before you were born, now who's ready to learn about my weird fetishes?"

Come on down, bro.

It's hot AF right now, so bring your swim trunks.

Critical Race Theory is certainly not helping

Critical Race Theory is certainly not helping
I'm asking you, since we've found common ground on issues in the past. It's a term I see thrown around, but I don't know what people are actually criticizing when then use it. What is Critical Race Theory in your mind, and how is it hurting the country?

I'm asking you, since we've found common ground on issues in the past. It's a term I see thrown around, but I don't know what people are actually criticizing when then use it. What is Critical Race Theory in your mind, and how is it hurting the country?
At its very core is the idea that to be a white person in this country is to be inherently oppressive and one pushed by hardcore marxists at the highest levels of academia.

Critical Racists, Jordan Peterson interview with Mark Rufo

The interview video from the link above I think goes over the roots of this theory and problems associated with it in much more detail.

At its very core is the idea that to be a white person in this country is to be inherently oppressive and one pushed by hardcore marxists at the highest levels of academia.

Critical Racists, Jordan Peterson interview with Mark Rufo

The interview video from the link above I think goes over the roots of this theory and problems associated with it in much more detail.
Ahh, well that idea is problematic indeed. I'll say that it's not how I hear anyone who advocates for Critical Race Theory define it though. Seems like a strawman to me. In fact, those who I hear use the term favorably go out of their way to point out that CRT is NOT talking about individuals as racists or oppressors.

I should probably part from the topic there, because the idea of a bunch of ER Docs debating CRT, a theory that comes out of Critical Theory (you know, the discipline housed in Literature Departments on the part of campus I avoided in undergrad) is pretty funny to me. It's kinda like a bunch of Comp Lit profs debating the best way to measure a QTc interval.

• Haha