QOL during residency

Started by etoilee
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

etoilee

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question to all the current pharmacy residents. Compare to life as a student , how would you rate the QOL when doing a residency? Do you still have time to go to the movie on the weekend, work out during week days, or cook a decent meal when you go home? I'm thinking about applying for residency, but I don't know if the stress is worth it. Please share your opinions😛
 
HUH?? 😱
Residency and all that???
It all depends...where you work, what rotation you are doing, how much effort you are willing to put in your residency. I don't even look at the clock when I go or get out of hospital. After coming home, all i want is some sleep. If you can manage going to gym at that time, or going to movies, or cooking, then you are super man 😀
Good luck.
 
You should really try and talk with residents at programs you are interested in. I would consider myself to be in a competitive residency program, but I also definitely have time to do all of the things you mentioned. I go to the gym 5 days a week, and I come home almost every night to cook dinner with my husband or go out to eat with him, plus we have to play with the dog, too! And I love going to the movies 😍.Now tomorrow I do have to work my evening shift (1 every other week), and this is also my weekend to work (1 weekend every 3 weeks), but I really try and leave work at work when I can. Of course I have some reading to do every night, but it's all manageable. Just work hard when you are there, and you will be surprised at how much you can get done in the extra time you have during the day. I personally would not recommend residencies that require an "on call shift", nor would I recommend the residencies that work you every other weekend. It really does wear on you and can make you cranky. It does require more time committment than being a student, but yes, there is balance if you make time for your life outside of pharmacy. Don't let the fear of losing free time scare you away. Just watch out for programs that seem more interested in having residents as cheap labor for lots of staffing!