Quadriplegic acceptance into medical school: please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:cry:

I don't think anyone signed up for being a quad either. :idea:
And? Nobody chooses to be mentally ******ed, but I've never met any physician with a severe cognitive disability. His point is that physical disability will either limit you or those around you to some extent. Either you will have to change, or the rules/institutions around you will have to change. If the school is willing to do so, then that's fine, but it's disingenuous to suggest or insist that everything will be the same.

Members don't see this ad.

People here are having a hard time between separating a feel good story with reality. Sure, it's a feel good story someone with such adversities was able to overcome their problems, we all feel it, we're not heartless. But at what point does this feel good story become an impairment to OTHER PEOPLE? Let's get one thing straight here. His impairment DOES effect other people and that's NOT FAIR to the other person/resident that has to do MORE work because of it. For those of you who have worked a day of your life. Imagine a coworker that has a disability and can't pull his/her weight and the boss dumps that extra work on YOU. Would you still be so happy that this person is there following his dream and affecting yours? I bet most of you would be really annoyed.

The other thing is that this person started pursuing a career in medicine after becoming a quad. It's a terrible thing for anyone to go through, and I can see residents taking on more work when one of their own goes through a tragedy (even when a med student becomes disabled... they were already invested in this career). Nevertheless, doctors switch specialties when their physical health does not allow them to continue in their original specialty (an orthopod went back to train in anesthesia after losing enough eyesight).

Just discovered this thread, and it blew my mind. Thanks, OP, for introducing me to your amazing story and to the stories of S.B. Lee and other quadriplegic doctors whom I'd never heard of before. And congrats on your achievements thus far.

I just wanted to put in my two cents. I'm a PGY-1 resident who's nearing the end of a transitional-year program before embarking on a radiology residency at another hospital. For the sake of context, my current hospital is a small, suburban-ish, reputedly "cush" place to work: e.g., there isn't a large amount of codes, and, when there is a code, half-a-dozen doctors (not to mention all the nurses) immediately come pouring into the patient's room; thus, if one particular doctor couldn't make it, I don't think they would really be missed. So, it's a bit hard for me to relate to the posters who portray internship as a time when you'll be running one code after another.

Anyway, there were definitely times this year when colleagues of mine didn't pull their own weight, and yes, it pissed me off at the time, but I'm sorta over it already, and next year, when I've moved on to my chosen specialty, I'll definitely be over it. By the time I'm an attending, I think I'll barely remember what it was like. I do understand where the other resident posters like Blaine and Law2Doc are coming from, but as someone wisely said earlier in this thread, "Medicine is for the patients, not the doctors." I.e., the question of whether a quadriplegic doctor's co-interns will be transiently miffed at him pales in comparison to the question of whether his patients will be benefited by unique perspective and skills. A survey group of PM&R patients would probably be more supportive of the OP than a survey group of disgruntled residents, and arguably the patients are the ones whose opinions on this topic matter the most.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just found this thread.

I am the Chair of a biology department at a US institution. One of our seniors was just accepted into 3 US medical schools (April, 2011). He too is a quad and I am gathering that quadriplegic medical students is a VERY small group.

If you would be willing to share your experiences with him (he may already be known to you) I would be delighted to put the two of you in contact.

You may write to me at [email protected] and I will respond from my official university email account.

Best regards,
mafarmerga

"Medicine is for the patients, not the doctors."

I wasn't too sure where you were going with this. I originally assumed that you were going to refer to how a quadriplegic doctor, with his/her limitations, wouldn't be to the benefit of a patient. Yet, I agree that this doctor, with his own set of perspectives, can be quite the benefit to a hospital and to a patient. Maybe he can be the antithesis to the stereotypical doctor with a God complex.

OP was scheduled to graduate in 2012. Would be interested to hear how clerkships went, and how residency went. After reading through this thread, I felt like I read an entire book only to discover the last few pages ripped out.

Reactions: 1 user