Qualification timeline for Podiatry Externship/Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IronTalus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new to SDN and thought I would see if anyone has good information about Residency requirements (i.e minimum GPA, class rank etc..) and if these requirements are due when we apply for Externships or when we apply for Residency? Do students get accepted at programs for Exterships before they qualify for that programs requirements for Residency? I am looking for more than simply opinion here. I couldn't find info on this online. Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. I am new to SDN and thought I would see if anyone has good information about Residency requirements (i.e minimum GPA, class rank etc..) and if these requirements are due when we apply for Externships or when we apply for Residency? Do students get accepted at programs for Exterships before they qualify for that programs requirements for Residency? I am looking for more than simply opinion here. I couldn't find info on this online. Thanks for the help

CASPR Directory, American Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine

Residency Directors, American Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine

Don't think you looked hard enough. First link should answer your first question.

Weirdy.. That doesn’t answer my question. CASPR shows the residency requirements. I want to know if those programs allow student doctors to externship if they are below their requirements. Obviously their requirements apply to residency entrance.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Programs are variable in whether they adhere to their minimum requirements. Programs may offer you a clerkship and allow you to visit, but decline to rank you because of your class rank. Its annoying (for everyone involved), but you have to ask.

Reactions: 3 users
Just to further add onto what Weirdy posted earlier.
Here is the AACPM Clerkship handbook that my class used when searching through clerkships.
It details the various program requirements, provisions etc for the 2018 calendar year.
Unfortunately because I mostly lurk here, I do not meet the requirements to post a link so...
Go to the AACPM website where you will find the clerkship link at the top right border, scroll down and you'll find the links to the handbooks available.

Reactions: 1 user
Just to further add onto what Weirdy posted earlier.
Here is the AACPM Clerkship handbook that my class used when searching through clerkships.
It details the various program requirements, provisions etc for the 2018 calendar year.
Unfortunately because I mostly lurk here, I do not meet the requirements to post a link so...
Go to the AACPM website where you will find the clerkship link at the top right border, scroll down and you'll find the links to the handbooks available.

Application, American Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine

I'm not trying to be "That Guy" Haha but this is still a link to the CASPR handbooks/requirements which are regarding actual residency requirements.
The requirements for clerkships are slightly different depending on the program, the clerkship handbook also supplies information regarding housing, food, and other fees that may be provided by the clerkship of choice.

If you click on Dexter's link and then click Home in the top left hand corner, you will see the clerkship link in the top right hand corner next to "Becoming a Podiatric Physician" Scroll down after clicking on that and you will find the clerkship handbooks.

Reactions: 1 user
The residency requirements are a good gauge of the clerkship requirements. If you don't meet residency requirements, don't clerk there.

Contact the contact person on the residency info page on CASPR and they can answer the clerkship question or point you in the right direction.