Quantity of Letter of Reference Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WasabiAlmonds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have two strong LORs but many schools say they require three. Will that mean my application will be considered incomplete if I apply to those schools?
I have one letter from a healthcare professional/science professor and another from an employer. I do not have one from my pharmacist as I had not been working there long enough. My pharmcas application is already ready to be turned in. I believe myself to be within the competitive range as far as my candidacy goes looks like it can hold me back.

Really my question is if I apply with only these two LORs, will my application be incomplete if I apply to those schools that require three LORs? Should I hold off on my application until I can get another (maybe ask another professor) or only apply to schools that require three?

I apologize if this was asked before, I had trouble finding anything on this question. If there was an answer to this, please send it my way!

Members don't see this ad.

if the school requires three and you have only two, the application is considered "Incomplete" until the the third one comes in

I know someone who only had two LOR when the school he is currently in required three. I don't believe they asked him to provide another. I think they will ask you to provide one more but I don't think they will turn you away because you didn't have all 3. I may be wrong though but I would try with 2 :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools are very strict on the number of reference letters. They will consider your application "incomplete" and won't offer you an interview until everything is turned in before the deadline.

I suggest you ask for another recommendation rather than risk your chance. Actually, you can still e-submit your application on PharmCAS even though you are missing recommendation letters. You can add or delete the reference section after your submission.

PharmCAS will verify and send your application to your Designated Programs first. And when your third LOR is submitted they will forward it to those schools. So in this way, you don't have to wait and delay your time of getting interview invitation from schools that only require 2 LORs

if the school page clearly says "must have three letters of recommendation", your application will be considered "incomplete" until all three are turned in.
if the school page says "should have three", you can try

Thank you guys for all the input! I will continue to look more into it, but seems like the best thing to do is to ask around for another LOR. I didn't know you could do that with PharmCAS as well, that is awesome! Thank you everyone again!