QUERIES about DDS as Indian student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

time xyz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I apologise if this thread already exists but since i am a new member here so please redirect me if so .....
as an Indian BDS degree holder i've few questions about DDS in US or CANADA. i think it 'd help many others also so please reply.
* which is a better choice- US or canada: considering factors like getting PR , economical education. , as international students and then settling n earning
* how much can one earn from part time jobs when on study visa in US/CANADA..... is it sufficient for paying back living expences n loan payback?
* educational loans ?
* which course should be taken up by an international student and meanwhile prepare for NBDE , which university to opt for?
* how can one acquire PR( immigrant status) in US while studying as international student and how much time does it take?

please reply i shall be very grateful

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I would have had some great advice, but reading this post took so much extra energy and time due to superfluous and irrelevant contraction usage.

Come on, is "den" really easier to write than "then". . .

Does "fa" really save you time compared to "for"

Okay, now I'm going to take a nap. :sleep:

Hi every1
i apologise if this thread already exists but since 'm a new member here so plz redirect me if so .....
as an Indian BDS degree holder i've few questions about DDS in US or CANADA. i think it 'd help many others also so plz reply.
* which is a better choice- US or canada:rolleyes: considerin factors like gettin PR , economical edu. , as intrntnl students n den settling n earnin
* hw much can 1 earn frm part time jobs :( wn on study visa in US/CANADA..... is it sufficient fa paying bak livin expences n loan paybak?
* educational loans:confused: ?
* which course :confused: shd b taken up by an internationl stdnt fa meanwhile prep fa NBDE , which univ 2 opt fa?
* hw can 1 acquire PR( immigrant status) in US while studyn as intrntnl stdnt n hw mch time does it take?
:confused: :confused:
plz reply i shall b very grateful :thumbup: :)

Members don't see this ad :)
"You are not supposed to behave like this........"

:)

I agree with Jaybe, it is really irritating to read that kind of language. If you want to save time by typing half of the words, how can you expect someone to spend time on answering your questions.

Well, I would have had some great advice, but reading this post took so much extra energy and time due to superfluous and irrelevant contraction usage.

I agree with Jaybe, it is really irritating to read that kind of language. If you want to save time by typing half of the words, how can you expect someone to spend time on answering your questions.
This is probably the most elegant response I've come across. Me gusta muy mucho.

I admit my mistake and I feel sorry for that . Thanks for correcting me JAYBE . I've made some improvements.:oops:

WHAT THE ''F.....' IS GOING ON WITH YOU?

help if you want to otherwise please do not post useless replies:mad:

hi even i am from india.i can answer 50% of ur questions.u can mail me at [email protected] which state r u from in india.

I think all of those 477 viewers are mostly aspirant Indian students like me only. No one bothers to answer , cant believe that no one knows the answers. I am not trying to snatch anyone's degree , show me the light and i will find my way .... thats all i expected from sdn but by now i've found my own ways .... thanks all those who posted here .... it really helped:D :D :laugh:

I think all of those 477 viewers are mostly aspirant Indian students like me only. No one bothers to answer , cant believe that no one knows the answers. I am not trying to snatch anyone's degree , show me the light and i will find my way .... thats all i expected from sdn but by now i've found my own ways .... thanks all those who posted here .... it really helped:D :D :laugh:
Hi, Just came across your thread. I'll try to give you some answers sincerely. Anyone who wants to correct me or knows better is most welcome.
Before you make a choice between Canada and the US, here is what might interest you.
The Canadian exams are tougher, seats are very few as compared to the US for the Foreign trained dentists, Canadian PR is much easier on the other hand.The Canadian education might be more economical but then you will definitely earn better in the US.
In the US if you come here on the F1 ie. the study Visa, it allows you to work only a certain hours in a week on the campus. This small pocket money is no where sufficient for the repayment of study loans which would be near 1 lakh dollars minimum for even the 2 Yr advanced standing program. Also, on a student visa you must have a US cosigner to even be eligible for the loans. The interest rates are high and the interest is accrued from day one when you take the loan.Cost of living varies according to the city you live but do not expect the part time in campus job on student visa to cover all expenses.
The DMD program here is exhaustive and demanding, it would not give you much time off to work anyways.Even your weekends would be spent mostly studying, preparing seminars, for tests and doing lab work.It is stressful and strenuous but again you know your capacity and ability so you can judge how much you can handle.
If you come here on a study visa, after you finish the advanced standing program, you need to shift to a H1 visa to be able to work here. After you get your degree you have one Training year (opt) whereby you can work on F1. After that you must shift to H1 if you want to stay in this country and work. It is not easy to find H1 sponsors. You cant file for a green card on a student visa. And green card or PR is a long process in the US specially if you are from India(there is a long waiting).....might take 6-9 yrs to get processed and getting your employer to file your green card is not simple.

Hope this is of help.
All the best!

That was helpful indeed. nice of you to take out time to reply that much .but i now want to ask - is there no way i can try for it ....

I agree!!!!
which is a better choice- US or canada: considering factors like getting PR , economical education. , as international students and then settling n earning
ANYWHERE YOU CAN GET IN , BUT THERE R VERY FEW POSITIONS IN CANADA AND THE COMPETITION CAN BE EXTREMELY TOUGH

* how much can one earn from part time jobs when on study visa in US/CANADA..... is it sufficient for paying back living expences n loan payback?
IF YOU CAN FIND TIME TO WORK , F1 HAS VERY LIMITED WORK ON CAMPUS CLAUSE

* educational loans ?
PRIVATE LENDERS , WITH US IMMIGRANT CO SIGNER INTEREST RATE VARIES , INTEREST KICKS IN THE FIRST DAY THERE HAS BEEN A RECENT RISE IN THE INTEREST RATES , IF YOU R A CANADIAN PR THERE IS ACTUALLY VERY LITTLE TO NIL MONEY YOU CAN BORROW FROM THE GOVERNMENT ( BUT TUITION IS LESS IN CNADIAN SCHOOLS AND LIVING IS COMPARITIVELY CHEAPER IN CERTAIN CANADIAN CITIES)

* which course should be taken up by an international student and meanwhile prepare for NBDE , which university to opt for?
NONE , PREPARE FOR YOUR BOARDS , THE COMPETITION IS VERY TOUGH YOU NEED GREAT SCORES , OPT FOR THE SCHOOL WHICH "OPTS" FOR YOU!!!!

* how can one acquire PR( immigrant status) in US while studying as international student and how much time does it take?
THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN APPLY FOR US IMMIGRANT STATUS WHILE BEING ON F1 ....
GOOD LUCK

So does that mean a foreign student (AN INDIAN) cannot do DDS without a co signer coz PR looks a distant task?

Yes if you come here on student visa somebody has to cosign for 180k students loans on an average including living expenses if you study at boston and more than that if you study at NYU.I f you have somebody who has green card can cosign if you convince them.But they keep getting your loan amount everymonth till you start paying your loans:sleep: If your dad is rich ask him to pay:laugh:

Hey time xyz.........I know it is really hard to go through all this....especially when u try to think about all the things at the same time............but its not impossible.......there are people who have done it...and trust me if u r a go getter, u can and will do it......the initial hurdle is getting the visa, then the exams and interview and then if u r accepted, getting a cosigner......so think about all this, make a decison and stick with it.....good luck.....remember to have positive attitude.....

thanks buddy for that optimistic reply .... sorry to bother with few 'if' and 'but' i never want to just enter this course and realising a hurdle which is impossible to cross and then telling my dad that everything is gone down the drain. so reconfirming everything and want to take a calculated risk and dont just want to be left behind my friends n batchmates who will be doing there masters here in India .
if i go on a study visa for 2 yrs and clear exams then how do i get it extended?

my toefl ibt score - 88
aggregate in 4 yrs BDS - 62% ,without any backlogs
I viewed the acceptance thread where the scores are definitely better than mine . but since i cant post a question there so i want to ask those INDIAN students on acceptance thread , those who 've made it to DDS that -
1.What chances do i stand ?
2.Which course should i take up - MHA or MPH?