Question about AMCAS coursework

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phyozo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi peoples,

I'm starting to fill out my AMCAS and I had a couple quick questions:

1) If I took summer classes at a junior college that transfer over to my four year university, do I list the coursework in both the junior college section and the respective class that was covered in the four year university?

2) Even though I enrolled in fall of 2004, my transcript shows AP credit from spring of 2004 (the 2003-2004 year); should I enter the AP credits as the year prior to entering the university (as it says on my transcript), or put it along with all my other classes the very first quarter of my first year?

Thanks for all your help and best wishes to all of you guys who are applying!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know the bump rule on this forum so I hope this is an appropriate amount of time.

Does anyone know the answers to these question? It's confusing to me because on the one hand, we need to verify transcripts as accurately as possible...on the other hand, listing a class from one college that transfers to another college seems like you would get the GPA benefit from both colleges which doesn't seem right.

1) If I took summer classes at a junior college that transfer over to my four year university, do I list the coursework in both the junior college section and the respective class that was covered in the four year university?

Given that these were both U.S. schools, you have to send transcripts from both to AMCAS. Therefore, simply list the courses as they appear on each transcript.

Phyozo said:
2) Even though I enrolled in fall of 2004, my transcript shows AP credit from spring of 2004 (the 2003-2004 year); should I enter the AP credits as the year prior to entering the university (as it says on my transcript), or put it along with all my other classes the very first quarter of my first year?

Most schools award AP credit on the transcript during the semester you took the exam. As above, list it exactly as it appears on your transcript. The AMCAS reviewers will have a copy of your transcript to look at when they verify you. Even though your attendance was from FA 2004 onward, you report the AP credit during the semester in which it was awarded.

Good luck,
-z