Question about Double majoring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringdentistplshelp

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently majoring in chemistry and wanted to possibly add a human bio major. The credits align very well and I'll still graduate on time. What major GPA would dental schools look at? or would they look at both? also does it look better having another major?

Members don't see this ad.

They'll probably look at your cumulative science GPA more so than each major. I think having two majors looks good if you still perform well academically because it shows you can balance a busy course load and you'll also be more interesting to talk to with expertise in two areas.

Reactions: 1 user
Getting two majors is a waste of time unless you're doing it solely for you not the application. If its for the application get more ECs and work harder on your grades. Or alternatively do more fun non school things in your extra free time.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's worth it if you literally only need a handfull of classes to satisfy both majors. Just know that the only thing you can do with both majors is tell people that you double majored (nobody will care), but it's an extra frame on your wall and kinda cool to say you did. It will not make any difference in your application. They will look at your cumulative GPA or your science GPA.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm currently double majoring. I did it because I would otherwise have to graduate early and I wanted to stay for 4 years. You get two BS and one diploma. So if you ever wanna do a master's, you can pick which one. Doing bio as well will help your bio knowledge when it comes to the DAT.

There's isn't two GPAs. They are combined. There's only one GPA.

Degree doesn't matter. Gpa does and science gpa. If you are thinking of double majoring because it will somehow be an advantage it isn't. Only double major because it is what you want and possibly part of a plan outside of D school. For reference, when I went to school I originally got a degree in Political Science and it wasn't even brought up in interviews, just fyi. Hopefully this saves you some time and effort that can be allocated somewhere else more effectively.

I did it with chem, as it was only a couple more classes and needed to fill my schedule with extra stuff to meet my scholarship's credit requirements.. No one's brought it up, no school seems to care. Only do it if you enjoy it and money ain't no thang. They are on the other hand VERY interested in my work with the underserved and research. If you want to pimp up your app, time is better spent doing that.