Question about FSU med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bwells46

MD, MPH, MSM
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend told me that FSU gives a tablet PC to all incoming students. Is this true? If so, do they expect you to lug around a freaking tablet PC while you're seeing patients?

I'm think they could do it cheaper and better with a Pocket PC.

Can anyone verify this for me?

Members don't see this ad.

FSU COM gives free laptops and PDAs for the time when you are in med school. When you leave the med school you are expected to return both the PDA and laptop to the school.

So I assume you'd be using the PDA for when you are seeing patients. Isn't that what the doctors use, well besides the office computer.

gujuDoc said:
FSU COM gives free laptops and PDAs for the time when you are in med school. When you leave the med school you are expected to return both the PDA and laptop to the school.

So I assume you'd be using the PDA for when you are seeing patients. Isn't that what the doctors use, well besides the office computer.

Ah, you have to give them back? What would FSU want with a four year old laptop and PDA? Especially when it's someone like me carrying it around :laugh: .

Yeah, I've seen plenty of doctors use PDAs. It was the thought of using a tablet PC that concerned me because it didn't make any sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
bwells46 said:
A friend told me that FSU gives a tablet PC to all incoming students. Is this true? If so, do they expect you to lug around a freaking tablet PC while you're seeing patients?

I'm think they could do it cheaper and better with a Pocket PC.

Can anyone verify this for me?

theres an incentive for med school... free computers and pdas...

oh wait you have to give em back? boooo

they may use the PDAs when seeing patients, but i dont think the white lab coat pockets are big enough for tablet pcs......

bwells46 said:
Ah, you have to give them back? What would FSU want with a four year old laptop and PDA? .

They have deals with manufacturers...return them and get a discount on new replacements.

Tigerstang said:
They have deals with manufacturers...return them and get a discount on new replacements.

Thanks for clearing that up. That's what I suspected but never asked anyone about.