Question about LOR's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

determined1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have about 2 more years before i apply to medschool. How soon should i start asking for letters of recommendation from professors and doctors? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

It's not a bad idea to ask professors now, so that they don't have the chance to forget you. If you set up an interfolio account, you can have your letters sent there and save them until you need them. Just beware that you have to renew the account every year.

I take it that LORs don't expire after a certain time?

I take it that LORs don't expire after a certain time?

That is a great question. I would guess the more recent the LOR the better as it would better represent who you are "today" as opposed to who you were 2 years ago. But, better to have some letters ready in the que than none at all.

Another thing is you can ask them to write you a letter for you at a future time. I asked a couple of my professors well in advance, if they were willing, I told them I would be in touch with them and provide them with a short resume, my personal statement, and other misc information about myself so they would have something to write about. I made up a nice packet for each of them, including a pre-paid envelope with the interfolio print out for them to send along. It was a very nice way to get it all taken care of.