Question about Louisville School of Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bu2008

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard this school was one of the better schools in the country, top 10 or so, is this true? I went for a visit in the fall and have been accepted there, I liked the school, but was wondering if I could get an unbiased opinion from someone who knows. Obviously they told me great things and I was impressed with their school. I am about to decide on them, Tufts, or Ohio State. By the way I live closest to Louisville, so location is pretty important. Thanks for any input. Also if anyone knows where I can find rankings or reviews of dental schools Id appreciate it to!!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there a couple of years ago. I was very impressed. I've heard very good things about this school. :thumbup:

bu2008 said:
I have heard this school was one of the better schools in the country, top 10 or so, is this true? I went for a visit in the fall and have been accepted there, I liked the school, but was wondering if I could get an unbiased opinion from someone who knows. Obviously they told me great things and I was impressed with their school. I am about to decide on them, Tufts, or Ohio State. By the way I live closest to Louisville, so location is pretty important. Thanks for any input. Also if anyone knows where I can find rankings or reviews of dental schools Id appreciate it to!!

Hi...I'd be happy to help you out. I actually go to the University of Louisville for undergrad and have worked really closely with the dental school over the last couple of years. Its a really great program...awesome faculty, very supportive environment, not cut-throat at all. Clinically, they are also very strong, and they do score very well on the boards. Louisville is also a nice, stable city to live in while attending dental school. Its really convenient, and has a lot to offer. Needless to say, you'll get your money's worth at UofL, and the students that currently go there are really happy with their decision to attend. I'm going to UMDNJ, just because I've been here for 11 years, and I'm more of an east coast kind of girl...but it was a really tough decision to make. Also, if you're from out of state, you must have some nice stats...its a pretty competative school to get into, and I know lots of very deserving ky residents that got waitlisted this year. So, I would definetly recommend this school, from an unbiased perspective. Like I said, I'm only an undergrad, and the faculty there have been really supportive and accomadating toward me for the last couple years...and I'm not even a student there! In all honesty, though...hurry up and make up your mind...I've got friends who are going CRAZY b/c they are still waitlisted! ;) Hehe, just joking...its a huge commitment and very important decision...but Louisville is definetly deserving of all the consideration in the world. Sorry for the novel, haha, but I hope that helped! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, and by the way, Bu2008, if you don't mind my asking, where are you from?

bu2008 said:

As someone who doesn't attend any of the three (which may make my input therefore seem irrelevant) I believe Ohio State is generally regarded as the "best" of the three school you mention here (PLEASE, this isn't meant to draw anyone's ire) in an all-around context on a national level. I do know the Dean at Louisville is leaving for North Carolina in May, so that may be something you want to consider as a part of your decision. But talking to friends of mine at Louisville, they love it. Same goes for the other two as well. I don't know that I'd say Louisville is top 10. US News is supposedly coming out with dental school rankings again soon, though, so that should be interesting fodder for future posts. I think you'd be happy at U of L...great hoops school (though nothing on our Tar Heels. :) )