Question about Medicare Funding Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkelton

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I am in a position where I likely need to repeat my intern year in a primary care residency, and had a couple questions about Medicare funding of residency (in the event my current residency doesn't work out).

1. In regards to Medicare paying for a 3 year primary care residency, I am unsure which of the following two scenarios is correct.

a. Medicare pays for the first three calendar years of training (no matter what PGY level a resident is at), and any additional calendar years the payment is reduced.

b. Medicare pays once for PGY-1, once for PGY-2, and once for PGY-3.

2. Since I am currently on my second year of PGY-1, is my program able to collect the full medicare payments on me this year?

3. If I end up taking two years to complete PGY-1 at my current program, and I were to start at new program as a PGY-2 next July, would the new program get paid the full amount on my PGY-2 and PGY-3 years?

Any information on the matter is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

This has been asked an answered innumerable times.

You started a 3 year categorical residency, therefore, you have 3 years of "full" CMS funding. Regardless of the program or how long it takes you to complete training. After that you have partial funding that will amount to somewhere between 70 and 90% of what your "full" funding was (50% DME + 100% IME...never mind that that means, it's irrelevant to you).

A bigger question is, why would you want to repeat your R1 year at the same program but then jump ship to a different place for R2/3? The funding will be essentially the same either way. But you'll be more likely to be able to stay put than you will be to find another program to take you.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for the information, it's very helpful! Good point on your last question, I would plan on staying at my current residency if offered a position for 2nd year.

Thank you for the information, it's very helpful! Good point on your last question, I would plan on staying at my current residency if offered a position for 2nd year.
Why would they let you repeat R1 if they weren't planning to offer you an R2 spot?

The OP is categorical. Just has to repeat intern year.
Mea culpa. I misread the OP.

Yeah, it's a pretty unlikely circumstance anyone would ever repeat intern year a third time. After your second chance, you're either better (and get promoted) or you're out.

Why does it matter as its just a hospital and system deficit and not due by the Resident? Though they do get the cheap/trained labor for the second year.