Question about Military Coursework Designations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flyboy3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was in the military before entering a four year college. I received college credit for the training I had throughout the four years, and this credit is shown on a transcript. There was however no term designated for when I received these credits, but they all transferred to my 4 year institution. I was never in a college classroom, never defined as a college student, I was just given these credits due to my training crossing over.

When I got to my 4 year college, they assigned me the status of freshman, even though I had 50 or so credits from the military. When filling out my status in school (freshman, sophmore, junior, etc), can I list these military credits as all freshman, as well as my first year in university? AMCAS says in these types of situations you must go by credit hours, but that wouldn't reflect my true Freshman Year in college GPA wise, especially since the grade I received for all of these military classes is an S. Any non-trad vets go through this? Because AMCAS has given me like 3 different answers.

Members don't see this ad.

You should have a JST.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 8.27.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 8.27.25 PM.png
    177.5 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: 1 user
From what I understand, military P/F courses don't go toward your year-in-school status in AMCAS. I have the same issue. They go into a category that's basically "additional coursework."

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You should have a JST.

I was AF so I have a Community College transcript. I called AMCAS three times and they told me that, since I was enrolled in the CC, I was considered a freshman in college through that time and entered my 4 year university after military as a junior. If they jacked me up and I get my app sent back I'll be salty.

From what I understand, military P/F courses don't go toward your year-in-school status in AMCAS. I have the same issue. They go into a category that's basically "additional coursework."

Wow, AMCAS told me something completely different :rolleyes:

Wow, AMCAS told me something completely different :rolleyes:

:yeahright: I feel like being AF is a fairly common situation. I wish they'd just write it out in black and white, lol.

I was going by this:

"Most courses with the AMCAS Course Type listed below are not included in AMCAS GPA calculations. Instead, the total hours for each of these categories are reported to medical schools under the heading Supplemental Hours.  Pass/Fail – Pass  Pass/Fail – Fail  Advanced Placement (AP) Credit  College Level Examination Program (CLEP)  Other Test Credit"

Your CCAF coursework counts as actual college credit and should be listed as part of your in school status.

The first 35 credits are freshman and the next 30 are sophomore. Regardless of whether your university assigned you freshman status you technically were a sophomore based on credit hours according to AMCAS policy. As a result your university courses should be listed starting as a sophomore until 65, then junior until 95, and then senior for all other credits until graduation. Its essentially the same situation as when someone switches majors and is forced to take extra credits. Even though they might not be taking senior level courses they are still considered a senior based on credit hours according to AMCAS policy.

The above was how I submitted my CCAF credits and I didn't have any issues.

Edit: See page 36 of the 2017 AMCAS instruction manual.

Your CCAF coursework counts as actual college credit and should be listed as part of your in school status.

The first 35 credits are freshman and the next 30 are sophomore. Regardless of whether your university assigned you freshman status you technically were a sophomore based on credit hours according to AMCAS policy. As a result your university courses should be listed starting as a sophomore until 65, then junior until 95, and then senior for all other credits until graduation. Its essentially the same situation as when someone switches majors and is forced to take extra credits. Even though they might not be taking senior level courses they are still considered a senior based on credit hours according to AMCAS policy.

The above was how I submitted my CCAF credits and I didn't have any issues.

Edit: See page 36 of the 2017 AMCAS instruction manual.

Jeez, this means I'll have a freshman GPA, a sophomore GPA, and no junior GPA :(