Question about moonlighting at an Urgent Care (salary)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joedo

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there, I was offered a moonlighting position at an urgent care office. The guy I would be working for has never hired a resident before. He has no idea how much to pay me for an hourly rate. Whats a normal salary per hour?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

$75 per hour is a ballpark figure

Not at all unreasonable. Moonlighting (night coverage) jobs I've worked in the past 3 years have ranged from $65-100/hour. I think anything in that range would be reasonable for an urgent care gig.

Make your offer a little higher than you'll accept though. If he says yes to the first number you put out there, you left money on the table.

Agree with the above. A few years back I did a poll here on SDN and the majority (including myself) made between $50 and $100 per hour.

This assumes:

you are not paying for anything else out of pocket (ie, malpractice rider)
you get a meal allowance (mostly important for in house call)
does not include holidays - if it does, prices go up

I'm in LA-- even finding ANY urgent care moonlighting job has proven to be very difficult. I'm a third year resident, but I'm not in a general type of residency either though (FP/IM/Gsurg/EM).

Is this because of the competitiveness of the location? My specialty? Or do you just have to keep trying until you find some "in" somewhere?

Thanks for the info, i appreciate it. I'm going to have to cover malpractice so I may have to ask for a lot..

Figure out how much malpractice WITH A TAIL is going to cost, then add that onto the $60-75/hr.