Question about Podiatry School, Job Oppurtunity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

malikadnanm

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi. I just had an interview at TUSPM and have a few more coming up. I had a couple of questions that I was really hoping someone could answer for me.

1. Had anyone on this forum applied to MD, DO, and Podiatry schools and then ended up going to Podiatry School? If so, any regrets?

2. When asked about specialties in podiatry, the 2 DPM's i shadowed told me there wasn't really such a thing and that all Podiatrists were basically general practitioners that did everything from cutting toenails to performing surgery. Can you specialize in for example just surgery?

3. The DPM's i spoke to didn't seem too thrilled about their salaries or job opportunity for new DPM's. They didn't tell me what they were making, but they definitely indicated they weren't getting enough. It was a 2 doctor private clinic. And the only other people I could ask were the professors, advisors, and DPM's at Temple and they all said job opportunity was great. However i took that w/ a grain of salt since why would they say otherwise when recruiting new students? So is there decent job opportunity out there for new DPM's (outside of starting your own clinic)? And what is a common starting salary for a DPM right out of residency (a person who was perhaps an average student in pod school, on boards, and residency - aka not at the bottom and not the top either)?

...i'm not lookin for millions of dollars, i'm just worried that w/ loans of $200,000 after 4 years of schooling, if i only make $60-70k i'll be in trouble and all this wouldn't be worth it.

Thanks to whoever helps.
 
Hi. I just had an interview at TUSPM and have a few more coming up. I had a couple of questions that I was really hoping someone could answer for me.

1. Had anyone on this forum applied to MD, DO, and Podiatry schools and then ended up going to Podiatry School? If so, any regrets?

2. When asked about specialties in podiatry, the 2 DPM's i shadowed told me there wasn't really such a thing and that all Podiatrists were basically general practitioners that did everything from cutting toenails to performing surgery. Can you specialize in for example just surgery?

3. The DPM's i spoke to didn't seem too thrilled about their salaries or job opportunity for new DPM's. They didn't tell me what they were making, but they definitely indicated they weren't getting enough. It was a 2 doctor private clinic. And the only other people I could ask were the professors, advisors, and DPM's at Temple and they all said job opportunity was great. However i took that w/ a grain of salt since why would they say otherwise when recruiting new students? So is there decent job opportunity out there for new DPM's (outside of starting your own clinic)? And what is a common starting salary for a DPM right out of residency (a person who was perhaps an average student in pod school, on boards, and residency - aka not at the bottom and not the top either)?

...i'm not lookin for millions of dollars, i'm just worried that w/ loans of $200,000 after 4 years of schooling, if i only make $60-70k i'll be in trouble and all this wouldn't be worth it.

Thanks to whoever helps.

I will briefly answer your questions. I applied to DO schools and did not get in because my MCAT verbal section was dismal. I have a MS in Biological Science and have a first author publication and it still didn't make up for my lackluster verbal score. I turned to Podiatry as an alternative. I shadowed a Pod and I loved it. I think there is great opportunity and that this is really for me. I applied and was accepted to Scholl and I can't wait to start. No regrets!

Pods can specialize if they choose to. Their specializations are usually pre-determined based on the training they received in their residency programs. If you really want to do surgery then it is necessary that you do well in school so that you can land one of the coveted high volume surgical residency spots.

There are pods who primarily do sports medicine, diabetic wound care, surgery, etc. I believe I read that there is a Pod in the Midwest who strictly treats children with clubfoot. Whatever you want to "specialize" in you must realize that you will most likely still be providing chip and clip and other palliative care means to your patients.

I can tell you why those two private practice Pods don't like their jobs because starting a private practice is really not all it's cracked up to be! It's a tremendous financial risk (especially these days). Sure you get all the revenue but you also have to pay for equipment, your worker's salaries, insurance, etc. Overall, starting a private practice is becoming less mainstream. Joining a current medical practice is your best bet. In most cases, you don't have to worry about the above expenses because everyone in the practice shares the brunt of the expenses. There really are great job opportunities for the above avg students. The better student you are, the better residency you will get, the better training you will receive, and the better skills you will acquire. This opens the door so much wider.

Lastly, if you are already concerned with salary then medicine is not for you. Granted, I know you are concerned with your student debt but it can be paid off with hard work and using common sense. You may be living on a tight budge in the beginning of your career but eventually you will transition into a more comfortable lifestyle.

I feel students are under the false presumption that they deserve a certain salary and a certain amount of success when they graduate. When they don't get these things these are the docs who bash the profession. If you love what you do and are compassionate towards your patients you can & will have great professional success. Your patients will believe in you and believe that you actually care about them. They will come back to see you when they have a problem, they will tell their friends about your professional and courteous service, your practice will grow larger, and this will result in the salary you desire. If you act like a robot and are a complete prick I guarantee you will be the next in line to bash this profession.
 
Last edited: