Question about practicing in CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClockworkDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is questions from my girlfriend:

If I get my PhD or PsyD from another state, how hard will it be to practice in CA?

Are there certain states that it would be easier to transfer to California after getting my degree?

Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

This is questions from my girlfriend:

If I get my PhD or PsyD from another state, how hard will it be to practice in CA?

Are there certain states that it would be easier to transfer to California after getting my degree?

Thank you for your help.

It depends on your schooling and their accreditation, and among other things, if you are licensed in that state. I am not sure what else is a requirement, but from what I have heard, transferring to California is about as same as other states, IMO.

Also, I think CA requires 3000 hours. In am unsure, and you may want to check all that with someone who is a little further in grad. school or has actually made that transition. But if you do get your license and complete your hours, I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to transfer it over to CA.

Check with the CA Board of Psychology (http://http://www.psychboard.ca.gov/) as they will have the last say when it comes to licensure. The info you're looking for may or may not be on their website. Email or phone.....they'll also be the first to tell you that anything they tell you can change at any minute. :)

Currently, CA requires 1500 hours postdoc -- they are specific about who is qualified to do the supervision. Actually, they are also very specific about who qualifies as an intern supervisor as well.

CA requires doctoral level courses that not all schools require (this is true for both APA and non-APA programs). I've had friends/colleagues who have graduated and when applying for their license in CA learn they need to take more courses (typically they need more units/credits in the areas of ethics, sexual abuse tx, drug tx....and for some reason I'm thinking psychopharm) in order to meet state requirements. At present, these can NOT be done as CE units -- they must appear on your transcript.

Members don't see this ad :)
your post touches on an important topic which is often not discussed at the graduate student level but very important to know once practicing. ASPPB has established a system of license reciprocity among a number of states (the majority of them), off course, you'll have to pay them for it but it makes the process of mobility of practice much easier. take a look, I believe california is one of the states that accepts CPQ:

http://www.asppb.org/mobility/cpq/states.aspx

I think the psychology register does something similar as well but i'm not very familiar with them. good luck

If anybody has any more information about which specific courses California requires that would be great. From their website, it looks like there are certain continuing education credits required, but I don't see anything about psychpharm. courses required etc. Thanks