Question about program probation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psyman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the procedure when a program gets put on probation by the APA? Does probation last one year, two years, or what? There are some rumblings about my program and I'm curious to know how long I have before I need to finish and still be all clear. I haven't been able to find information about the process.

I made this post in another thread, but I think it's only going to get buried.

Members don't see this ad.

Questions like this are best answered directly by the CoA and probably not here. Once you know more about the specifics, you may want to use this as some kind of sounding board, but even that will work better if you get specific answers from CoA. Just email them and way you are concerned about what it means for students who are in progress toward the degree. My understanding is that programs are given specific areas they must address and are usually very motivated to do so. It just can take a long time for the process to unfold.

I know anecdotes are never the most reliable source of information, so take what I say for what it is and follow the above advice for discussing the issue with your school's administration.

My program went on probation in 2010 (maybe even 2009, I'm not really sure exactly when it hit). The APA gave recommendations to the program and they are being implemented currently. The site visit is not until Spring 2013 however, and I am not how much time after that the school will gain its full status back (IF it does).

Unfortunately this will once again affect me the next round of internship apps :uhno:
But at least I hope maybe it will fully instated by my grad date? To be continued...

Er, on the other hand (another purely anecdotal account), there were apparently rumblings around my program for years that we were in potential trouble of being placed on probation at our next site visit. Even some of our faculty were cautioning students about this. APA came last year. We received word not too long ago . . . Passed with flying colors. :sleep: I'd wait 'til you hear something for certain.