This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

troyafshari

Reaction score
Need some help deciding on a school to postbac at. I'm in the serious reinvention category with a 2.86 undergrad gpa with a few Ds and Cs in my med school prereqs, so I am looking to retake those classes and then add on a bunch of upper level science classes to bump up my stats and show a strong upward, science-heavy trend.

My GPA excludes me from most formal postbac programs, so I'm looking at noncompetetive/unstructured/DIY style programs in Colorado.
My options seem like
- CU Boulder's individually designed postbac
- CU Denver DIY postbac (under the guise of pursuing a second bachelor's)
- CSU DIY
any other suggestions or further advice is greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Whatever is cheaper and gives you enough flexibility to let you take the courses when you want to. If you’re closer to CSU and they have a lot of classes to choose from, then that makes sense for example. If you attended one of these and found some of the classes very challenging due to the faculty as opposed to your methods of studying/learning, then avoid that one.

Reactions: 1 user
You have a good plan, and thus an SMP may be something to address later on. But for what you are doing, I agree with my colleague: whichever program gives you a chance to take the coursework as inexpensively but conveniently as possible. You may have to think about letters of recommendation if you are missing some science references from your previous academic record.

Reactions: 1 user
Need some help deciding on a school to postbac at. I'm in the serious reinvention category with a 2.86 undergrad gpa with a few Ds and Cs in my med school prereqs, so I am looking to retake those classes and then add on a bunch of upper level science classes to bump up my stats and show a strong upward, science-heavy trend.

My GPA excludes me from most formal postbac programs, so I'm looking at noncompetetive/unstructured/DIY style programs in Colorado.
My options seem like
- CU Boulder's individually designed postbac
- CU Denver DIY postbac (under the guise of pursuing a second bachelor's)
- CSU DIY
any other suggestions or further advice is greatly appreciated
Why don't you first try to re-take the classes that you got Ds and Cs in, and see how you do?...not to be mean, but your GPA is not yet of med school caliber. Before you waste your money and your time...just an idea.