This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sirgizmo84

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
50/50 is fine and meets that example requirement. I personally would want more general practice hours though. Most schools want primarily general practice shadowing hours since that is what you're going to school for.

What exactly am I trying to do shadowing? I asked my personal dentist if I could shadow and he shrugged and said “I guess”. It was really non productive since there’s not really room for me to see what’s going on in the patients mouth, with the dentist and assistant in the room.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh. I guess my dentist doesn’t have many patients because it is SLOW. He only had maybe 15 patients all day, and we mostly just sat there and I asked him questions basically interviewing him, but I ran out of questions so it ended up just being me standing there. Maybe I need to find a busier dentist.

Oh. I guess my dentist doesn’t have many patients because it is SLOW. He only had maybe 15 patients all day, and we mostly just sat there and I asked him questions basically interviewing him, but I ran out of questions so it ended up just being me standing there. Maybe I need to find a busier dentist.
Definitely. I dont recommend doing all 100 with the same dentist. Try out several different offices perhaps in different cities and different practices (solo vs group etc)

I saw a list somewhere maybe ADA about questions and topics to discuss during shadowing.
Questions like, if you could change one thing about the Dental Profession what would it be ?
If you run out of questions, ask:
When you first opened your practice what was one thing that happened that you did not see coming ?
When he/she goes on vacation who covers his practice?
Sick Day policy for staff and you ?
Personal Day policy for the staff ?
Do you or another dentist accept emergency calls on weekends, holidays ?
What made you pick this location for your practice ?
What are the biggest changes you have seen in your practice and the Dental Profession ?
Is it difficult to hire dependable, reliable staff ? Do you do all the hiring and firing ?
Do you have an in house bookkeeper or is it contracted out ?
If you had it to do all over again about opening your practice what would you do differently?

Reactions: 1 user