Question about Updating a School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bap2qwrq7

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was put on a wait list for a school that I would really like to attend and plan on sending a letter of intent/update. Luckily, I have managed to get in at some other schools but I would really like to attend the school I'm waitlisted at.

My main question for the letter of intent is:

1. Should I mention the schools that I have gotten into to show how serious I am in attending their school? I'm leaning on jsut saying that I just got into some schools but not name any names.

2. I want to update my activities but the problem is I haven't done anything new since I sent in my application. I basically have been continuing in the clubs/activities that I listed but have been doing more for them (getting more invovled). Should I just write about that? I don't really want to join a club or do something new just for the sake of a letter.

Members don't see this ad.

1) I would say do whatever your comfortable with. Whether you name the schools or not, the focus of the letter should probably be on why School X is such a good fit for you and why you are so committed to attending there. Of course, come next week, the schools will know where you've been accepted anyway.

2) Why do you want to update your activities if you feel that you have nothing substantial to update? If you feel that your increased involvement is worth mentioning, then by all means mention it, but by asking this question it seems like you don't think it is. There's nothing wrong with writing a LOI without adding anything new to your app--that's what I did (and it worked too...found out I was accepted to my top choice a month and a half before they announce their decisions).

Vomitonme said:
I was put on a wait list for a school that I would really like to attend and plan on sending a letter of intent/update. Luckily, I have managed to get in at some other schools but I would really like to attend the school I'm waitlisted at.

My main question for the letter of intent is:

1. Should I mention the schools that I have gotten into to show how serious I am in attending their school? I'm leaning on jsut saying that I just got into some schools but not name any names.

2. I want to update my activities but the problem is I haven't done anything new since I sent in my application. I basically have been continuing in the clubs/activities that I listed but have been doing more for them (getting more invovled). Should I just write about that? I don't really want to join a club or do something new just for the sake of a letter.

1) Generically mention that you got into some other programs, but avoid naming names. It comes off as a bit pompous.

2) Explicitly detail your current involvement in clubs/activities that you mentioned on your amcas... schools appreciate seeing students that maintain a level of commitment to different organizations, despite already getting into medical school.

best of luck with the LOI... while I don't think they mean all that much in the admissions process... i'm sure they still come into play for many applicants who are on the line between rejection/waitlist...