Question! Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angelina93

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! So I am having a bit of anxiety so maybe someone can give me some advice. I had no idea what I wanted to do my first two years of college and kind of hopped around to three different schools. I will be finally graduating in May with a BS in AT and have worked my butt off the past four years in the program maintaining a 3.9 GPA. However , I applied to 20 schools and towards the end of applying I checked out my old transcripts from the first two years of college and they are absolutely horrendous! I took chem and received a D however I made it up and got an A. I never realized how ****ty I have done in the beginning. My GRE scores are pretty crappy too - 146 Verbal & 144 Qualitative. The past four years I have built up my resume and have done many extra curricular activities and internships. My PTCAS overall GPA is a 3.35 and my pre-req is a 3.55. Please give me some advice?! Do you think I have any shot of getting in or what can I do to increase my chances this late in the game.

Members don't see this ad.

Realistically, there are those with higher stats that get in to schools, and there are those with lower stats that get in as well. Its pretty much a game we're all playing. Its a matter of applying to the right schools, at the right time, with the right applicants, and with the right admissions committee overseeing everything. A part of getting accepted will rely on your ability to play your cards right. Obviously, amazing GPA can open a lot of opportunities. But high GPA means little when you are trying to get into a field that ALSO requires social skills and great communication. In this example, schools that conduct interviews can work to your advantage if you don't look amazing on paper. SO it my be beneficial to look into schools that do conduct interviews. Public or state schools may be more difficult to get in to due to their cheaper tuition, and thus attract more applicants. There are also many people that you utilize to help you in this process. Many schools' admissions counselors can help you make decisions in regards to the schools you should apply to. Don't be afraid to reach out to them. There are many things to look into. In my opinion, it is worth your time and effort. If you really want it, you will find a way! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I think your GPA is pretty average, but maybe consider re-taking your GRE again. Possibly look into schools that accept the best of all attempts with the GRE instead of one test alone. Your pre-req is a little better than mine and I was able to get in somewhere after trying for 7 years!! Make sure you have awesome recommendation letters and lots of observation hours in various settings. Research which universities would be worth applying to and not applying to based on their average accepted student population (% of in state vs out of state, avg. GPA and GRE scores, cost, location).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! So I am having a bit of anxiety so maybe someone can give me some advice. I had no idea what I wanted to do my first two years of college and kind of hopped around to three different schools. I will be finally graduating in May with a BS in AT and have worked my butt off the past four years in the program maintaining a 3.9 GPA. However , I applied to 20 schools and towards the end of applying I checked out my old transcripts from the first two years of college and they are absolutely horrendous! I took chem and received a D however I made it up and got an A. I never realized how ****ty I have done in the beginning. My GRE scores are pretty crappy too - 146 Verbal & 144 Qualitative. The past four years I have built up my resume and have done many extra curricular activities and internships. My PTCAS overall GPA is a 3.35 and my pre-req is a 3.55. Please give me some advice?! Do you think I have any shot of getting in or what can I do to increase my chances this late in the game.

You've already applied, so there's not a whole lot you can do except do well at any interviews you're offered. How much of a chance you have of getting in depends heavily on how competitive the schools you've applied to are and how they weigh different factors in the admissions process.

If you end up not getting in this round and want to try again for next cycle, I would suggest studying hard to raise your GRE score (search the forum for GRE study material suggestions), and also looking into schools that look at last 60 credit hours instead of cum GPA. If you're super motivated, you could also look at retaking prereqs to raise your prereq GPA if there's any courses that you got Bs or Cs in. Some schools take the higher grade rather than averaging them, so your prereq GPA would be higher for those schools.

Good luck!

Thank you everyone! For now I am just staying positive and hoping for at least an interview. @DPThopeful1859 I give you props for trying after 7 years and not giving up! I feel I might need to take a year off and really improve my GPA and GRE!

Thank you everyone! For now I am just staying positive and hoping for at least an interview. @DPThopeful1859 I give you props for trying after 7 years and not giving up! I feel I might need to take a year off and really improve my GPA and GRE!

I think if you can still work in the field of PT or AT and retake those classes and schedule to take the GRE again....you should be just fine.