question concerning LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

40YardDash

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
from reading through the PM&R threads, the consensus seems to be that two LORs from PM&R docs is ideal when applying to a PM&R residency program. So far, I have a LOR from my OB-GYN rotation and one from IM. I also plan on getting an LOR from my rheumatology elective this august . my earliest scheduled PM&R elective is this sept and I'm currently still in the process of scheduling another PM&R elective in october... Im starting to worry that these LORs from sept and oct will be too late.... especially the LOR from the october PM&R elective. how close to the cutoff am I in turning in these PM&R LORs (assuming I get them)... any advice? Appreciate any replies guys... thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I will tell you what I tell the students (M3s and M4s) that I advise in the medical school from which I graduated. You absolutely need a good letter from a PM&R doctor to submit with ERAS before you interview...if you want to get any quality interviews at the good programs.

You can get a letter before you even rotate. I had a letter from my mentor in PM&R and pain/spine medicine before I ever did my first externship because I took time during off days on my M3 rotations that were easier to shadow her and start doing research with her. This totally helped me get exposure to the field, and I was not scrambling for letters when it came time. I had letter from 5 Physiatrists (including the head of inpatient rehab unit at my #2 program and the PD director from my #1 program and the program I matched to) when it came time for applications. I used 3 of these letters with each application and 1 letter from my Cardiology attending who I knew loved me and rec me for Honors.

I matched to a top 5 program, and I had interviews from the arguable top 10 programs in the country as ranked publicly and within the field. I know that my letters made a huge difference, and programs knew me on a personal/professional level much better because of my strong letters.

I would not use an OB/GYN letter unless it is just stellar and the doc knows you very well. OB/GYN does not relate as well to PM&R as Neuro, Ortho, IM, Peds, Psych or even Surgery. Peds, IM, Neuro, and Ortho are best bets for outside letter IMHO.

Hope this helps. PM me if you need any further advice. I would be happy to read Personal Statements or give any advice to help good students be more successful matching into our field. :D

thank you for the reply medbronc.. very cool of you and helpful! I wasn't aware that I could get a LOR from a mentor that I haven't done a rotation with. I actually know a great PM&R doc in Texas who would be willing to let me shadow him and work in his outpatient office during my off month of july while I study for the usmle CK.... I know he would write me a stellar LOR... He isn't affiliated with a university, but he does have some strong connections with program directors at baylor and UTsouthwestern. I also know another doctor who is an interventional radiologist who would write me a great LOR as well. Would it look bad if I turned in these two LORs? Of course these wouldn't be an "official" rotation because I would just be shadowing during my free months of june and july. thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
If that rheum letter is stellar and they comment on some of your procedural skills (injections) then that may be helpful to add but definitely get the PM&R letters. The ob/gyn letter could be helpful for internship so don't totally dismiss it.

Try to get a letter from an inpatient PM&R doc as well so that you don't come off as only interested in the outpatient side of things.

J

Do your best to obtain one. However, there are no rules set in stone. Some people still interview at top programs without ANY letters or rotations in PM&R. Maybe not a common occurrence. With that being said, I'm sure you would still obtain interviews, but maybe not to your place of choice, without a PM&R LOR.

Do your best to obtain one. However, there are no rules set in stone. Some people still interview at top programs without ANY letters or rotations in PM&R. Maybe not a common occurrence. With that being said, I'm sure you would still obtain interviews, but maybe not to your place of choice, without a PM&R LOR.

But do they match there?

From what I remember about the match, I doubt you'd be ranked at all without any PM&R letters in your file. I was denied an interview at what many consider a "top" program for no other reason than I didnt have the necessary letters on file in a timely manner (not all of my letter writers had their letters in by ~November).

Last edited:
From what I remember about the match, I doubt you'd be ranked at all without any PM&R letters in your file. I was denied an interview at what many consider a "top" program for no other reason than I didnt have the necessary letters on file in a timely manner (not all of my letter writers had their letters in by ~November).

So November is the absolute latest to have a letter in? I'm taking a rotation in September that I think would be good for a LOR (pain medicine). That won't be too late for a LOR? It would be my fourth one for PM&R, and only one program I am applying to requires the fourth.

I am planning on doing a PM&R rotation in late August through mid/late September to get a letter from an attending. I know ERAS opens on September 1st, so will I be hindered much by not having a PM&R letter on file by late September/early October at the latest? Could I still potentially receive other interview invites with my other application pieces turned in, but without a PM&R letter until later?

Also, I won't be taking step 2 CK and CS until mid/late October. Will not having these scores in similarly hold me up at all?