Question for current anesthesiologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nick29

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I have a few questions and would appreciate honest answers.

I am a nurse (don't hate me!). As I want to learn and do more, i started shadowing Dr.'s and other professionals. I shadowed a couple of anesthesiologists and CRNA. I love the profession and I am really excited about pursuing a career in it. If I choose to become an anesthesiologist i have 8 more years of school (i'm still young so time is of no concern). If i decide on CRNA i'll be done in 2-3 years.

1. My question is do anesthesiologist/surgeons/other MD respect CRNAs?
2. In a clinical setting where CRNA's can work independently what can a CRNA not do vs. an anesthesiologists?
3. What is you opinion on the future of CRNAs? (seems at this time they are paid well) will it continue? pay for crnas and mda decrease over time?

Thank you for your opinions, I really appreciate it. THANKS!
SORRY.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well, you can start by not referring to anesthesiologists as "MDAs".

-copro

Hello Everyone,

I am a nurse (don't hate me!). As I want to learn and do more, i started shadowing Dr.'s and other professionals. I shadowed a couple of anesthesiologists and CRNA. I love the profession and I am really excited about pursuing a career in it. If I choose to become an anesthesiologist i have 8 more years of school (i'm still young so time is of no concern). If i decide on CRNA i'll be done in 2-3 years.

2. In a clinical setting where CRNA's can work independently what can a CRNA not do vs. an anesthesiologists?
3. What is you opinion on the future of CRNAs? (seems at this time they are paid well) will it continue? pay for crnas and mda decrease over time?

SORRY.

If you want to sit in the OR all day, and nothing more, become a CRNA. If you want to do it in a rural setting, with the most routine surgeries, you can currently do it independently.

If you want to potentially do critical care medicine, attend in an ICU, run your own pain clinic, learn and perform TEE, become an expert in peds, neuro, or cardiac anesthesia, setup your own research projects, teach residents and medical students, or leave yourself open to the possibility that you may wish to enter another completely different field of medicine, become a physician.

edit: I fundamentally disagree with indepedently practicing CRNAs, but my post doesn't portray them in a good light. I know for a fact that by and large they universally enjoy their work and take great pride in the care they give to patients. To answer your questions, I'm sure they gain respect from MDs. You'll learn over time that if you've earned respect in other jobs you've held, it'll be no different in medicine. If you get along with others, work hard, know your stuff, and approach things humbly, you'll gain respect. As far as the future, no one knows. Right now CRNAs make more than some MDs. That's not appropriate and will hopefully change.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
P.S. If you're already a nurse, go get a CRNA certificate. It'll be faster and less frustrating in the long run. Likewise, this will provide you the opportunity to participate in anesthesia care and, before you know it, further encourage you to someday believe you are every bit as competent and capable as a doctor (if not more so) and/or that our "extra" training doesn't make a difference anyway.

-copro

Hello Everyone,

SORRY.

I'm just finishing up med school and waiting to match into anesthesiology (March 19th can't come soon enough!). And I would say that if there is any chance you would consider another field of medicine (or want to do additional training in anesthesiology like the fellowships mentioned above), you should consider going to med school to give yourself all potential options. That being said, it is DEFINITELY a rougher process both in time AND effort!

It's definitely a big decision and you should look at in terms of the rest of your life. If you think you would be happy in the OR doing relatively uncomplicated cases for the rest of your life, then definitely just become a CRNA. Otherwise, you should consider becoming an anesthesiologist. Basically, I'm trying to emphasize that you should think about your career in terms of "the rest of your life" not as "what's easiest", etc. Once you've determined what you want to get out of work then you'll have your decision.

Let's keep the replies kosher everyone. I know, I probably haven't been exposed enough to become "jaded", but still, we don't always have to "pounce" on the nurses... :rolleyes: Best of luck with your decision!

Well, you can start by not referring to anesthesiologists as "MDAs".

-copro
I agree.. What the hell is an MDA..Who created that ridiculous nickname..So stupid honestly..Are surgeons MDS, Radiologists..MDR..So frustrating and annoying...

Thank You Dr.'s and future Dr.'s. I am sorry for the MDA thing. Thanks!

Thank You Dr.'s and future Dr.'s. I am sorry for the MDA thing. Thanks!

Nick,
I am not sure if you are actually serious or just trying to start another one of those entertaining discussions about the difference between CRNA's and physicians.
Either way I have to agree with Coprolalia on this one (to my regret) and strongly advise you to become a CRNA, this is what I would do if I were you.
Most of us actually respect CRNA's and work very well with them.
The only problem is the dishonest politics and the illegal unionization being inflicted on our profession by the AANA.

Thanks PlanktonMD. I am trying to make a life changing decision and wanted to get all the information I possibly can.

Likewise, this will provide you the opportunity to participate in anesthesia care and, before you know it, further encourage you to someday believe you are every bit as competent and capable as a doctor (if not more so) and/or that our "extra" training doesn't make a difference anyway.

Zing!

Nick,
You've got a tough decision to make. I've worked with great CRNA's and bad too, respect you'll earn over time. I do agree that the CRNA route would be MUCH easier from where you are right now as a nurse but with a limited scope of practice vs a physician.

An aside...I have a good friend whose dad is a CRNA and absolutely hates it. Sure, he has a nice job with good pay and time off, but says it's the most mindless 8-10 hours every day. He works well with the Anesthesiologists at his hospital (even vacations w/2 of them) but he doesn't do anything all day but sit there and chart...occasionally raise the table for the surgeon. The MD/DO does the pre-op, talks to the patient/family, starts the case, finshes the case and handles anything emergent that comes up during surgery. My buddies dad just sits there (beep...beep...beep, etc) and pages if he has a problem. About a year ago he was going nuts after years of just sitting there that he came home, pounded some whiskey and drove his truck through a tree and ended up in ICU...which he contributed from going crazy just sitting in the OR.

Go back and re-read Guitarguy's post...it's right on the mark.

Anesthesiology is def. the better job by far but be cautious of new health reforms. The 300k loan and 8 years to become one might start you in a totally different era of medicine. One where you can potentially be a government slave. And if Gas docs go down, CRNAs go down with them.

Last edited:
I hope you are taking all this with a grain of salt. After all, you are asking a bunch of anonymous people on a public forum what to do with your life.

I'd ask myself a few questions if I were you.
1) Am I smart enough to be a doctor
2) Am I driven enough to be a doctor
3) Do I have the time to become a doctor
4) Do I want to spend the money necessary to become a doctor
5) Will I have enough time after training to successfully fulfill my needs
6) Do I want to give up at least 8 yrs of my life.

This list goes on and on but only you can answer these questions, not us. We can only help you get a grasp of the task. Just remember that many here will have an agenda and you won't see it.

I hope you are taking all this with a grain of salt. After all, you are asking a bunch of anonymous people on a public forum what to do with your life.

I'd ask myself a few questions if I were you.
1) Am I smart enough to be a doctor
2) Am I driven enough to be a doctor
3) Do I have the time to become a doctor
4) Do I want to spend the money necessary to become a doctor
5) Will I have enough time after training to successfully fulfill my needs
6) Do I want to give up at least 8 yrs of my life.

This list goes on and on but only you can answer these questions, not us. We can only help you get a grasp of the task. Just remember that many here will have an agenda and you won't see it.
I think a few people are making themselves pretty obvious about it. :rolleyes:

Otherwise, I agree.