Question for D.O.'s doing ACGME residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EmergDoc2B

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What if any extra steps, if any, did you have to do to get credit for PGY 1 in the eyes the AOA. I ran across this article:
AOA Recognition of ACGME PGY1 Year

I'm currently preparing for my PY1 at an ACGME and was just curious.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Members don't see this ad.

What if any extra steps, if any, did you have to do to get credit for PGY 1 in the eyes the AOA. I ran across this article:

I did nothing extra. Why do you even need the AOA to recognize your ACGME training? You'll be boarded by ABEM. Is this a Resolution 42 thing?

Reactions: 1 user
Yep. Resolution 42. Still a few states that require an aoa intern year or equivalent for DO students. Fortunately, most acgme pgy1 years are going to count if you either do an osteopathic lecture or go to an osteopathic conference.

The good thing is, several states that had such a requirement recently changed their laws. Since the AOA will no longer accredit residencies in a few years "aoa interships" wont exist, so the remaining states will have to repeal their laws too.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
From what I read a conference will get it done. Hopefully, by 2019-2020 it won't be a requirement. Thank you for the responses.

for what.. to take the DO boards? to pay extra AOA fees and MOC every year? why not just take the ABMS boards that you will be eligible for

for what.. to take the DO boards? to pay extra AOA fees and MOC every year? why not just take the ABMS boards that you will be eligible for

Some state medical boards require you to complete an "AOA-approved" intern year in order to get your medical license.

Hopefully these regulations go the way of the dodo and we can be rid of the AOA for good (with regards to graduate medical education).

Some state medical boards require you to complete an "AOA-approved" intern year in order to get your medical license.

Hopefully these regulations go the way of the dodo and we can be rid of the AOA for good (with regards to graduate medical education).

You should move somewhere more civilized. ;)

I plan to take ABMS. The question was about intern year reqs and my state, FL.

Having gone through the process. You need to look at the AOA website and the recognition of ACGME PGY1 year and just make sure that during any time during the 3 or 4 years of residency, you satisfy their requirements (It doesn't have to be during your PGY1 year only). I cannot recall all of them specifically but some 3 year residencies don't have "12 weeks" of an internal medicine or family medicine based rotation. I chose MICU and my cardiology month but we didn't have another 4 weeks built in so i used one of my electives to do another MICU month.
Also, look for a conference to go to that gives at least 8 of those credits you need ( I think theyre called A-1 category). I'd find it on the AOA website or google for your state to see if there is a cheap/good one to do.
You need your program director to fill out a letter saying you've done the requirements, the conference to send the certificate for the credits and fill out the online application. It's not a bad process and relatively easily granted if you do those things.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 users