Question for former/current interns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hajenkin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work at CVS as a P3 intern, however I hardly ever get to do intern responsibilities. Almost 99% of my shift is spent at drive thru or pick up checking people out. Is this normal? It angers me being so close to having a doctorate and I’m learning how to master a cash register. I feel in no way prepared to work as a pharmacist. I never get to fill or handle medications. The rare times I’m given a phone transfer, the other techs get angry at me and tell me to go ‘up front to ring’.

is this a common thing to experience as an intern?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I work at CVS as a P3 intern, however I hardly ever get to do intern responsibilities. Almost 99% of my shift is spent at drive thru or pick up checking people out. Is this normal? It angers me being so close to having a doctorate and I’m learning how to master a cash register. I feel in no way prepared to work as a pharmacist. I never get to fill or handle medications. The rare times I’m given a phone transfer, the other techs get angry at me and tell me to go ‘up front to ring’.

I certainly wouldn't allow a technician to dictate to you what you should be doing. Having said that, my previous employer was really pushing for pharmacists to spend more time up front at the register which will allow you to offer and give counseling on the spot. Take the opportunity to do that.

Reactions: 1 users
I certainly wouldn't allow a technician to dictate to you what you should be doing. Having said that, my previous employer was really pushing for pharmacists to spend more time up front at the register which will allow you to offer and give counseling on the spot. Take the opportunity to do that.
How would you approach the techs, as at my place two or so of them pretty much dictate what everyone else does? If I’m in the middle of a task handed to me by the pharmacist, they actually get upset with me that I’m not at the register checking people out and tell me that it’s my “number one priority” despite the pharmacist giving me a responsibility that requires that I don’t walk away... the pharmacist doesn’t even stand up for me most of the time.

Sorry, this is all new to me. At my old store (also CVS) I almost exclusively filled and worked alongside the pharmacist, then just jumped in to help at the register when needed. I don’t know which one is considered the “normal” for an intern.

Members don't see this ad :)
How would you approach the techs, as at my place two or so of them pretty much dictate what everyone else does? If I’m in the middle of a task handed to me by the pharmacist, they actually get upset with me that I’m not at the register checking people out and tell me that it’s my “number one priority” despite the pharmacist giving me a responsibility that requires that I don’t walk away... the pharmacist doesn’t even stand up for me most of the time.

Sorry, this is all new to me. At my old store (also CVS) I almost exclusively filled and worked alongside the pharmacist, then just jumped in to help at the register when needed. I don’t know which one is considered the “normal” for an intern.

Intern duties definitely vary from place to place and even from store to store based off of your preceptor/pharmacist on duty. If I were you, I'd discuss the situation with the pharmacist and go from there. Me personally, I'd tell them you're currently busy and you'll be there once you've finished your task unless its something that can wait. Techs are not your boss, so you don't need to follow orders given by them.

You have to remember you are an employee and while you have the title of intern, you are using technician hours.

You can talk to the pharmacist if you want but it sounds like a busy store. If you are doing more pharmacist tasks that means the pharmacist would have to do your task or the other technicians would have to pick up the slack.

Up to you, at least ask if you can do more during any slower periods of the day.

Oh and technicians hate being at drop off, filling is so much easier. You should at least be getting your rotation at fill station where you might get to do more pharmacist tasks.

You have to remember you are an employee and while you have the title of intern, you are using technician hours.

You can talk to the pharmacist if you want but it sounds like a busy store. If you are doing more pharmacist tasks that means the pharmacist would have to do your task or the other technicians would have to pick up the slack.

Up to you, at least ask if you can do more during any slower periods of the day.

Oh and technicians hate being at drop off, filling is so much easier. You should at least be getting your rotation at fill station where you might get to do more pharmacist tasks.
Yes, I completely understand that. However, I’m exclusively doing cash register work and most shifts I don’t even get to look at a medication, while the other techs are only doing production all day and never help at the drive thru or pick up. Usually the pharmacists give me tasks like transfers and such, things that slow them down from verifying. Occasionally they’ll pull me aside when it’s slow and show me tasks regarding narcotics, management, etc. Even then, the techs get on me about stepping away from the register, even though the pharmacist specifically asked me to.

I just didn’t know if this is normal behavior for techs and interns. I’ve worked at 3 different CVS stores as an intern and this is the only one where I feel like the techs control the place and the only role of the intern is to do the jobs they don’t want to do. At the other stores the techs respected the interns and we all worked together doing ALL of the tasks...

Yes, I completely understand that. However, I’m exclusively doing cash register work and most shifts I don’t even get to look at a medication, while the other techs are only doing production all day and never help at the drive thru or pick up. Usually the pharmacists give me tasks like transfers and such, things that slow them down from verifying. Occasionally they’ll pull me aside when it’s slow and show me tasks regarding narcotics, management, etc. Even then, the techs get on me about stepping away from the register, even though the pharmacist specifically asked me to.

I just didn’t know if this is normal behavior for techs and interns. I’ve worked at 3 different CVS stores as an intern and this is the only one where I feel like the techs control the place and the only role of the intern is to do the jobs they don’t want to do. At the other stores the techs respected the interns and we all worked together doing ALL of the tasks...

There are pharmacists out there that take full advantage of interns. They know they are short term employees and would rather burn them out at drop off so they can keep their technicians happy.

Is it wrong? From the interns stand point yes. However, in the long run it is probably better for that pharmacy.

Do I do it? No

On the plus side you should be able to do what should be considered the most important part of the pharmacist job...... Counseling.

Also, what is so important about filling for you? At least you are in contact with customers. Filling doesn't give you any experience.

Finally, you aren't expecting to actually be standing by the pharmacist and watching them are you? Because that never happens except during rotations.

Oh and a store ran by techs is actually the dream for an rxm.

If they are doing it correctly,. I enjoy not having to tell them what to do ever and have everything done correctly.

If they are getting on you, it means you are getting behind and that actually goes on the pharmacist too.

There are pharmacists out there that take full advantage of interns. They know they are short term employees and would rather burn them out at drop off so they can keep their technicians happy.

Is it wrong? From the interns stand point yes. However, in the long run it is probably better for that pharmacy.

Do I do it? No

On the plus side you should be able to do what should be considered the most important part of the pharmacist job...... Counseling.

Also, what is so important about filling for you? At least you are in contact with customers. Filling doesn't give you any experience.

Finally, you aren't expecting to actually be standing by the pharmacist and watching them are you? Because that never happens except during rotations.
I completely understand all of this. I don’t expect to be exclusively at filling, however I also don’t expect to be only ringing out groceries all day either. While at filling, the pharmacist talks to me and quizzes me, I also get to speak to doctors’ offices and take transfers. However, I also don’t expect to be watching a pharmacist all day long. That’s completely unreasonable.

I’ve also been scolded at by the techs for counseling patients and taking time to answer questions. That’s why the entire point of my question is if it’s normal for interns to be equivalent to a front store employee (aka only checking people out) as every time I’ve ever done anything else at this specific store I get lectured by the techs.

I completely understand all of this. I don’t expect to be exclusively at filling, however I also don’t expect to be only ringing out groceries all day either. While at filling, the pharmacist talks to me and quizzes me, I also get to speak to doctors’ offices and take transfers. However, I also don’t expect to be watching a pharmacist all day long. That’s completely unreasonable.

I’ve also been scolded at by the techs for counseling patients and taking time to answer questions. That’s why the entire point of my question is if it’s normal for interns to be equivalent to a front store employee (aka only checking people out) as every time I’ve ever done anything else at this specific store I get lectured by the techs.

If they are doing it correctly,. I enjoy not having to tell them what to do ever and have everything done correctly.

If they are getting on you, it means you are getting behind and that actually goes on the pharmacist too.
They actually get on the pharmacists too. From what I’ve heard, the techs (just a couple in particular) have been so bad that they have driven off many pharmacists at this store. One of the pharmacists I’ve worked with actually left his position here because of the personalities.
Is this just a poorly run store, or do techs tend to have this attitude at most locations?

They actually get on the pharmacists too. From what I’ve heard, the techs (just a couple in particular) have been so bad that they have driven off many pharmacists at this store. One of the pharmacists I’ve worked with actually left his position here because of the personalities.
Is this just a poorly run store, or do techs tend to have this attitude at most locations?
The rxm or staff?

Is it a poorly ran store? What are the statistics?

The metrics tell you how well a store runs.

I don't know CVS but we follow workflow guidelines, you should talk to your rxm if you want to fill more.

If you live in an area with a lot of CVS around consider going to a different store. Interns can pick up shifts anywhere at Walgreens.

The rxm or staff?

Is it a poorly ran store? What are the statistics?

The metrics tell you how well a store runs.
Both. The precious RxM left because of the techs, as did the latest staff pharmacist. Both of which I worked with and was told personally by them that they’re leaving because of the tech staff

No, the metrics here are terrible. Customer reviews are horrific. We’re currently the worst in the district. That’s why I’m surprised the technicians get away with what they do and the pharmacists just allow it instead of changing how things are done. It’s almost like the technicians are the boss of everyone here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both. The precious RxM left because of the techs, as did the latest staff pharmacist. Both of which I worked with and was told personally by them that they’re leaving because of the tech staff

No, the metrics here are terrible. Customer reviews are horrific. We’re currently the worst in the district. That’s why I’m surprised the technicians get away with what they do and the pharmacists just allow it instead of changing how things are done. It’s almost like the technicians are the boss of everyone here.
Not customer reviews but all the other metrics.

Best advice is go to a different CVS.

That RXM needs to grow a pair.

No worries, that is exactly what is going to happen within the next 10 years in retail pharmacy. Death of the retail pharmacist...

I have some techs that can't even run 50 yards without wheezing, much less a pharmacy

Not customer reviews but all the other metrics.

Best advice is go to a different CVS.

That RXM needs to grow a pair.
Yeah, I meant our metrics are the worst in the district and have been for years. The customer reviews are just the icing on the cake haha.

I think that’s what I’m going to end up doing eventually, as I see that it’s only going to get worse.

thanks for your insight - I really appreciate it

Yeah, I meant our metrics are the worst in the district and have been for years. The customer reviews are just the icing on the cake haha.

I think that’s what I’m going to end up doing eventually, as I see that it’s only going to get worse.

thanks for your insight - I really appreciate it

If you guys are allowed to pick up shifts at different CVS, find a place you like then see how much help they need and just drop that other store slowly.

Talk to the rxm, let them know what you are looking for and you aren't getting it there.

No worries, that is exactly what is going to happen within the next 10 years in retail pharmacy. Death of the retail pharmacist...
10 years, that's $750,000 in salary at $45/hour @32 hours.

That's about $575,000 after taxes depending on the state you live in. (Not California)

$150k towards loans, live off 42.5k per year.

Congrats you are breaking even!!!

Make good choices people.

The reality is you are usually put to work where you're the most dependable without guidance. Training an intern is somewhat of a time luxury, and even after training it's hard to consider someone "dependable" until sufficient experience under guidance takes place (which means more time). Dependable meaning you can manage your responsibility without mistakes, quickly, thoughtfully, proactively, and resolve most spontaneous issues independently using your problem-solving ability. It's a tall order for many...hence why the cash register or drive-through ends up being a popular place to put the intern. It's fairly low risk and easier learning curve. If you're an intern that can become reasonably dependable without guidance after being shown something once...you'll likely be assigned more high value responsibilities. Otherwise, I think most pharmacists believe that no matter what your current level of intern experience - you're going to eventually learn how to be a pharmacist one way or the other once you start working as one, in a sink or swim way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
There is no one size fits all solution but I think it is normal for a new intern (and tech for that matter) to be put at pickup at first. But if that’s all your doing for months that isn’t acceptable. Does CVS still have an intern coordinator? Talk to them if so.

Personally I just decided one day I wasn’t going to do pickup anymore and from that day on whenever I worked I would go straight to drop off and tell whoever was there that I was doing drop off. Once the techs got the idea that I wasn’t going to be pick up slave anymore I got more flexible and just worked wherever I was needed.

My advice is to be direct with techs. Tell them you are there to learn and you aren’t going to just do pickup. Put yourself at whatever station you want to work at and refuse to be reassigned from it. Expect confrontation but they will get used to it if you don’t leave them a choice.

And personally I don’t think production is a great station for an intern. You shouldn’t really have time to do transfers or other RPh work b/c you should be too busy filling. So if you are doing a bunch of other stuff at production I could see why techs wouldn’t appreciate that. Drop off is the best station to learn at imo. You get to see all the orders coming in and learn how to process them efficiently. Not to mention learning insurance is invaluable imo.

Reactions: 3 users
There is no one size fits all solution but I think it is normal for a new intern (and tech for that matter) to be put at pickup at first. But if that’s all your doing for months that isn’t acceptable. Does CVS still have an intern coordinator? Talk to them if so.

Personally I just decided one day I wasn’t going to do pickup anymore and from that day on whenever I worked I would go straight to drop off and tell whoever was there that I was doing drop off. Once the techs got the idea that I wasn’t going to be pick up slave anymore I got more flexible and just worked wherever I was needed.

My advice is to be direct with techs. Tell them you are there to learn and you aren’t going to just do pickup. Put yourself at whatever station you want to work at and refuse to be reassigned from it. Expect confrontation but they will get used to it if you don’t leave them a choice.

And personally I don’t think production is a great station for an intern. You shouldn’t really have time to do transfers or other RPh work b/c you should be too busy filling. So if you are doing a bunch of other stuff at production I could see why techs wouldn’t appreciate that. Drop off is the best station to learn at imo. You get to see all the orders coming in and learn how to process them efficiently. Not to mention learning insurance is invaluable imo.
I’ve been an intern at CVS for 2 years and a tech for them a year before that, which makes the situation that much more laughable.
The problem at this store is that one of the problem techs parks herself at drop off the entire day and won’t do any transfers or entering of the transfers, so production (or the RPh) is only option to take a transfer, etc.

• Wow
In all likelihood you are almost certainly going to need to transfer to a different store. But you can at least try to work it out with the staff first. Just be direct and tell her you aren’t going to do pickup, period.

I cannnot stand techs with lead feet that just stay at drop-off or production and who need constant prompting to go help pick-up. We all know those techs who are asked to go do something and then they immediately pick up the phone, making an 'urgent' call to a patient or insurance, often waiting 'on hold' for minutes. If there are more than 3-4 people waiting in line to pick up prescriptions, someone should go help out. OP, if you are in your last year of school, you should ask the pharmacist if you can verify a few prescriptions once in a while if the workflow permits it; I let all of my 3rd/4th year interns verify scripts and handle some of the manager duties, even though the store did > 4,000 scripts per week.

This definitely sounds like a store that needs a leader in their rxm.

My apologies also I thought you were at drop off too. If you are just selling scripts solely, yes get out of there 100% but still talk to them first.

I cannnot stand techs with lead feet that just stay at drop-off or production and who need constant prompting to go help pick-up. We all know those techs who are asked to go do something and then they immediately pick up the phone, making an 'urgent' call to a patient or insurance, often waiting 'on hold' for minutes. If there are more than 3-4 people waiting in line to pick up prescriptions, someone should go help out. OP, if you are in your last year of school, you should ask the pharmacist if you can verify a few prescriptions once in a while if the workflow permits it; I let all of my 3rd/4th year interns verify scripts and handle some of the manager duties, even though the store did > 4,000 scripts per week.

Techs like that are the worst. They're the first to yell at someone to "GO HELP UP FRONT!" and the very last to actually move away from product dispensing or data entry.

The true key to social dominance in a CVS or a wags is to be tight with the store manager.

Everyone here gave sound advice. It's different from location to location and all dependent on the people you work with and their personalities. Unfortunately, having a doctorate doesn't exclude you from the register. Even as a pharmacist you will need to be a team player and take the register/drive-thru every now and then. If you are truly worried about not getting any experience in before graduating, I would not worry too much, APPEs will help you get more pharmacist-focused experiences.

No point in getting confrontational with the techs....not worth the drama. Make the best of your situation. You can learn as much at a terrible store as you would at a great store (namely, what not to do/how not to to run a store). It may seem terrible, but being at the front will get you a lot of experience in troubleshooting problems, counseling succinctly, etc. Ignore the techs for getting onto you about counseling and absorb what you can. This is their chance to feel superior and boss around a future pharmacist...dont let it bother you too much.

Verifying doesn't take a lot of time to pick up...ask the pharmacist on duty to let you know when an interesting case comes up/there's a verification judgement call to be made for you to see and learn from. Get used to ringing up groceries....Im a pic and its still something I do a lot. Trust me, these are all things you need to do to be well rounded.

Id just make sure you let the PIC know you really want to work data entry at some point during your shifts to learn that side as well. Processing insurance is a key tool to learn. You may have to remove a tech with a crow bar, but just let them know you want to learn all you can. Try to see if you can start out at off peak times there and work your way up as you go.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
techs just sound like Aholes and the pharmacist has no control of the store, these are the real issues
everyone is telling you to talk to the RXM, Thats not going to do jack **** because it sounds like the 2 techs are controlling everything due to the lack of leadership
soooo what you should do is transfer stores
or I mean pick up has the least responsibility, so you can just view it as a relaxing work day and not stress so much
and as for CVS workflow... esp at busier stores, the production tech absolutely can not leave and do other things, they are the bottle neck