Question for the residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grandslam521

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does one have to pay tuition as a resident like in medical school? I know residents get paid, but someone told me that residents also pay tuition.

Members don't see this ad.

Does one have to pay tuition as a resident like in medical school? I know residents get paid, but someone told me that residents also pay tuition.

They don't pay tuition, but they probably should, since they're such a huge financial burden on our health care system . . .

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry, couldn't help it. :D

Hi Grandslam,

Maybe the person who told you residents pay tuition wasn't from the USA? In Canada, residencies are part the post-grad medical education office of universities. At some schools, you do have to pay some tuition but it isn't much.

Why? Is this a touchy subject over in the residency forum? I am premed so I don't come over here too much.

Nah, its not a touchy subject its just that the others here forget how ignorant they once were and like to pounce on the newbies.

Don't worry about it. Residents in the US, at accredited programs do not pay tuition. Besides the Canadian programs, every now and again you hear about an FMG who pays a US program for a residency; this may also be what your source was referring to.