Navy Question on FTIS vs. MODS Residency Spots Available According to BUMEDNOTE 1524

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LTMCUSN

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m looking at last year’s BUMEDNOTE 1524 for Navy GME, and want to make sure I’m reading this correctly:

When “remaining FTIS authorized selections” are listed (p. 15, below), is that BUMED’s goal for a given year?

And does that mean all FTIS slots have been filled for a given position already if we do not see them on PGY1 selection goals (p. 14)? Take anesthesiology for instance: it has listed that there are NADDS opportunities but no FTIS opportunities (p. 14). Is this just because the community is manned at over 100% right now?

Can anybody demystify this for me? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You probably know this already but just want to make sure; this years BUMED notice came out last week and has more up to date numbers than the 2019 version.

My understanding of the “remaining FTIS authorized selections” is that it doesn’t really apply for anesthesia because there is no categorical PGY1. So all the FTIS spots for anesthesia are open for interns and GMOs to apply for. For specialities like EM, they reserve a portion of the spots for straight through interns and then designate the “remaining” spots for those applying from GMO land etc. At least this my understanding and I could be wrong.

Page 14 is PGY-1 goals. The reason anesthesia is at zero is because there are no anesthesia PGY-1 slots in Navy GME. This would only be relevant to medical students. There is however the option to apply for NADDS as a medical student, and possibly for PGY-2. My guess is that you would have to chat with the specialty leader for specifics on NADDS.

Reactions: 1 user
Knew it was delayed but didn’t know it was finally released.

I don’t have a working CAC reader at the moment- is the CY20 BUMEDNOTE public anywhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
Try this link:

To add another tidbit (I don’t know where you are in your training), assuming you are an intern or GMO. But you can basically ignore the PGY1 numbers if that is the case. If you are a medical student and considering anesthesia, you would apply for any internship ( I would recommend TY although I am biased) and then reapply during your intern year specifically for anesthesia. Other option as a medical student is to see if you can pick up a NADDS spot which has its plusses and minuses.

With regards to the 2020 BUMED 1524, Under PGY1 goals for family medicine it says the goal is 41 interns. Then under FTIS goals it also says 41. Do FTIS numbers refer to interns going straight through when they start residency, or is the FTIS numbers looking at PGY2 goal numbers taken from current interns and incoming GMOs?

Always interesting to see. IM Subs again with very few options unless you want to do critical care. 1 Cards, 1 ID, 2 GI and sports med (I didn’t know that was even an IM option).

With regards to the 2020 BUMED 1524, Under PGY1 goals for family medicine it says the goal is 41 interns. Then under FTIS goals it also says 41. Do FTIS numbers refer to interns going straight through when they start residency, or is the FTIS numbers looking at PGY2 goal numbers taken from current interns and incoming GMOs?

FTIS: Full Time In Service. ie. A program at a military facility.

FTOS: Full Time Out Service. A program at a civilian program where the trainee is paid as an active duty member

Deferred/NADDS: Non-Active Duty Deferred: a program at a civilian program where the member is not paid by the military.

FTIS/FTOS/NADDS: these designations by themselves do not mean anything toward straight through training.

It’s PGY2 goal numbers to include incumbent interns and fleet returnees. As Backrow said the two numbers are not related despite being the same in this instance. If you apply for a family intern year you still have to apply the next year for a family residency spot.

Forgive the ignorance, but how do you interpret number of GME spots every year in any specialty from the BUMEDNOTE? Take anesthesiology for instance.

Also, has anyone seen match statistics published for the specialties from this year?

What do you mean interpret? Anesthesia will have 18 residents and the “by site” breakdown says it’s six each at Walter Reed, San Diego and portsmouth. This is the number the are selecting to start next summer.

I don’t believe the Navy publishes match statistics.

What do you mean interpret? Anesthesia will have 18 residents and the “by site” breakdown says it’s six each at Walter Reed, San Diego and portsmouth. This is the number the are selecting to start next summer.

I don’t believe the Navy publishes match statistics.

I wasn’t sure what “goals” meant. I see now that it’s the number of residency positions (18) but must have missed where it shows 6 positions at each of the big three medical centers. Appreciate you clarifying!

Also worth noting that these numbers can change between now and the selection board in November; in fact, they can even change during the board itself. (Last year the admiral bumped up Cards from 1 to 2 spots).

Apply for whatever you want, make the Navy tell you 'No'. If you can get out next summer, definitely apply civilian as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Always interesting to see. IM Subs again with very few options unless you want to do critical care. 1 Cards, 1 ID, 2 GI and sports med (I didn’t know that was even an IM option).

Been consumed by PCS back CONUS so I missed the 1524 release. Will look in more detail this weekend. I saw sports med billets for family med (common) but also under pediatrics (new) and IM as you mentioned (new). Interesting indeed.

Also worth noting that these numbers can change between now and the selection board in November; in fact, they can even change during the board itself. (Last year the admiral bumped up Cards from 1 to 2 spots).

Apply for whatever you want, make the Navy tell you 'No'. If you can get out next summer, definitely apply civilian as well.

That's always been my experience. If someone says no ask who can give you a yes. Is there someone I should talk to if I want to preference civilian deferment first for family med?

That's always been my experience. If someone says no ask who can give you a yes. Is there someone I should talk to if I want to preference civilian deferment first for family med?

There's no on to talk to per sae. Everyone thinks the GMESB is some mafia, and if you know the right person, you'll get what you want. Many have been burned!

I would just apply for what you want, list the civilian deferment as your first choice (apply civilian via ERAS), but be prepared to do a military one if that's what you end up with.

Of course if you can get out, then you have the option to do so and go completely civilian.

Deputy Medical Corps Chief here...please note a few things:

1. We are offering weekly GME question sessions - Weekly GME Application Assistance Calls Starting Today

2. There are no NADDS goals for civilian deferment for Family Medicine. RDML Hancock, the Corps Chief, strongly prefers military FM programs over civilian programs, so while not impossible it is unlikely we would do civilian deferments for FM.

The rest of the questions seem to have been answered correctly above.