Navy MODS rank list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j4pac

Prior Flight Surgeon PM&R attending guy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys/gals,

I was wondering how the Navy is currently doing their rank list. I know about 5 years ago they were making us only list 4-5 selections and the first three have to be programs from the same specialty, then you can list a specialty after that. I was looking online and saw this form: https://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmpd...dical Education Overview/2018 Application.pdf. Are you now allowed to list any specialty in any order, with a longer list?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You can list any specialty, as long as it's one of the three they'll be training in a few years. It's the Henry Ford model of residency selection.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is from @Matthew9Thirtyfive on a different thread. He can probably elaborate.

“FYI, the military match system is changing for the Navy starting this year. You no longer rank individual programs for a specialty, but are required to rank two specialties: a primary specialty and preferred location, and a secondary specialty. You could be placed into either.“

Reactions: 1 user
This is from @Matthew9Thirtyfive on a different thread. He can probably elaborate.

“FYI, the military match system is changing for the Navy starting this year. You no longer rank individual programs for a specialty, but are required to rank two specialties: a primary specialty and preferred location, and a secondary specialty. You could be placed into either.“

It’s in the instruction too, but I originally heard it from friends who just went through the match. You have to list two specialties and then rank your top three locations.

It’s in the instruction too, but I originally heard it from friends who just went through the match. You have to list two specialties and then rank your top three locations.
Went through match this year. The above is correct.

Went through match this year. The above is correct.

So if I was a medical student who wanted to do PM&R, how would I set up my list?

Specialty:
1. PM&R
2. Transitional internship
3. Internal Medicine

2. FTOS
3. Deferment

That way doesn’t give you any opportunity to list Portsmouth or Balboa. Is that correct?

Nope. You have to list all sites for specialty 1, then list speciality two. No way to hide from Portsmouth anymore. This isn’t that new a deal.

Nope. You have to list all sites for specialty 1, then list speciality two. No way to hide from Portsmouth anymore. This isn’t that new a deal.

Then the list would look like:
1. PM&R Walter Reed
2. PM&R FTOS
3. PM&R deferment
4. Transitional year Walter Reed
5. Transitional year Balboa
6. Transitional year Portsmouth

or

1. PM&R Walter Reed
2. PM&R FTOS
3. PM&R deferment
4. Transitional year

???

Then the list would look like:
1. PM&R Walter Reed
2. PM&R FTOS
3. PM&R deferment
4. Transitional year Walter Reed
5. Transitional year Balboa
6. Transitional year Portsmouth

or

1. PM&R Walter Reed
2. PM&R FTOS
3. PM&R deferment
4. Transitional year

???
The first one.

I thought it was after 2011 but the change was requiring a second program. Before the change, you could just put Ortho everywhere and rank nothing else. They have to call people to select them for something that wasn’t listed and non competitive people were only ranking ENT, Ortho, Derm etc.

Way back, you could rank a single program/location combo (which I did, I would have stayed a GMO rather than move).

I thought it was after 2011 but the change was requiring a second program. Before the change, you could just put Ortho everywhere and rank nothing else. They have to call people to select them for something that wasn’t listed and non competitive people were only ranking ENT, Ortho, Derm etc.

Way back, you could rank a single program/location combo (which I did, I would have stayed a GMO rather than move).

Oh. I see. I guess I just ranked a backup specialty to be safe. I think I even put Ortho x3, Gen Surg x1 and then Transitional x1

I thought putting a backup was required, but I guess previously it was just recommended.

Oh. I see. I guess I just ranked a backup specialty to be safe. I think I even put Ortho x3, Gen Surg x1 and then Transitional x1

I thought putting a backup was required, but I guess previously it was just recommended.

Yes, you're now required to list two specialty preferences and could get selected for either of them.

Could you add a third specialty or are you limited to two?

I'll tag @eqkc since he just went through it, but the instruction says:

All PGY-1 applicants must apply for two specialties.

and the people I know who went through it this year all listed two.

Didn't try to list three so I'm not sure. I'll look at the menu when I go in tomorrow.

* Went into MODS today. Looks like two. Though maybe you can add a third and mine is just already submitted/locked...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users