Question Regarding Licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

terptherapy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently am applying to jobs, however I am applying in multiple states and am unsure as to where I will end up working initially. I want to get licensure in both states either way because I like to have the flexibility. I am curious if I can apply to two different states before I take my boards.

I also need to know if I need to register in a specific state to take my boards in another state. Basically I am hoping for a job in NY, however my family lives in MD and I plan to take my boards in MD. Which state should I send in my licensure information to. Does it matter? Do I send it in to both? Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied for licensure in two different states before taking my boards (Texas and California), and it worked out fine (though it was expensive). Another option is to apply in one state, then once you get your license, you can transfer your license to the second state. I had heard how California can take months to transfer your PT license, so I decided to apply as a new licensee while I still was living in Texas. I had to take two different jurisprudence exams, which was no big deal. When I registered for the boards, I just picked Texas. Once I took my exam and passed, I made an online request to send the results to the California. Taking the boards in Texas while applying to CA was not an issue at all, and I didn't need to register that information anywhere. Each state had a different process for the application and steps to take, and I had to make a spreadsheet for myself to keep track of all the requirements for each state, so it was a little complex but very doable. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 user
I applied for licensure in two different states before taking my boards (Texas and California), and it worked out fine (though it was expensive). Another option is to apply in one state, then once you get your license, you can transfer your license to the second state. I had heard how California can take months to transfer your PT license, so I decided to apply as a new licensee while I still was living in Texas. I had to take two different jurisprudence exams, which was no big deal. When I registered for the boards, I just picked Texas. Once I took my exam and passed, I made an online request to send the results to the California. Taking the boards in Texas while applying to CA was not an issue at all, and I didn't need to register that information anywhere. Each state had a different process for the application and steps to take, and I had to make a spreadsheet for myself to keep track of all the requirements for each state, so it was a little complex but very doable. Hope that helps!

Yeah transferring license can be very quick or very lengthy depending on the state. I applied for a Tennessee license at one point after already having an Ohio license and it took 8 months, no joke, to get the Tennessee license approved. Indiana on the other hand happened in just a couple weeks.