Question regarding Math requirement for Ohio State Applicants/Students

Started by jamiepb
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jamiepb

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I contacted one of the admissions counselors yesterday at OSU and was told that precalculus was the only prerequisite.

Did anyone take precalculus online? Or for that matter, did you find taking a more advanced math course helped your application?

I took precalculus in high school, but the only math I took in college was statistics.

Any suggestions would be great. thank you!
 
Is precalc required for OSU? Their website says algebra and trig. I took college math 1, which is how it printed out on my transcripts but the website now says Pre-Calc. We covered algebra and trig in the class. It was a pre-calc. type class. I am now wondering if it counts or not. I think I will be sending OSU a copy of my transcripts this summer to make sure I have everything covered and that it is all squared away, I'd hate not to get in because of missing a pre-rec. :scared:.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Higher level math classes also work - I had Calc I-III and Diff Eq, so I wasn't required to show proof of pre-calc.
 
I had no issues with OSU, taking general Calc I and Stats in my first year of school (goodbye formal math studies 👍:laugh:). I didn't touch a pre-calc type class in undergrad.
 
Look into whether you actually want to take precalc or just take calc I. I took both in high school, and they're not as related as the titles make them seem. Pre-calc reflects the craziness that was math before graphing calculators and calculus involved more actual equation solving. I was HORRIBLE at pre-calculus but aced both AP Calculus & Calculus II. You couldn't pay me enough to touch pre-calculus again.

ETA: This reply is just intended to help people decide which class to take as it seems established that OSU counts pre-calc or anything higher. I'm not applying to OSU so no firsthand knowledge here.