Question regarding PA's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SirAsksAlot

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

First of all, please excuse my grammar and language etc as English is not my primarily spoken language. And secondly if this post as been posting in the wrong section, but my gut told me that this forum was somewhat related to my question.

I've since a about a year back thought of a career in the medical section, mostly as an physician.

But recently I've discovered that in the US Physician Assistants are becoming a more and more popular. As I read more about Physician Assistants i realised that they can do almost anything that a physician can.

I've thought about this and by doing so I've come up with the following questions:

1. How come that the education for a PA is only 2 years when the education of a physican takes 6 or 8 years (depending on country) years less than a physician but in the end, they end up doing almost the same thing. And how come that they earn almost as much as a physician?

2. How does physicians today look upon PAs? Do you feel like they're "stealing their jobs" seeing as it's seems to be alot easier to become a PA than a physician and that salary is lower for PAs, thus making them more popular amongst employeers.

3. Will PAs in the future be able to take over most specialities that physicians today are working in thus decreasing the need for physicians dramatically.

4. Why should i educate myself to become a physician that takes 6 years in my homecountry (Sweden) instead of a PA that only takes 2 years?

I probably have more questions that I will add to this thread, but not anymore that I can think of atm.

The question that I want an answer to most is if you think that PAs will become more attractive than physician thus drastically decreasing the need of physicians.

P.S

It's very well possible that I'm missinformed when it comes to the educational process and working conditions for PAs and for that I apologize. I'm basing my questions on "stuff" that I've read on the internet which may not reflect reality. Please forgive me if I've offended anyone out there, that was not my intent.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
PA education is only two years because it's not as in-depth as physician training. PAs study the basic sciences for one year and do rotations their second year. Physicians take two years to study the basic sciences, followed by two years of rotation. PAs begin working immediately after the second year, under the supervision of other PAs as well as physicians. Physicians do a residency for additional training in one specialty and then begin working on their own, sometimes opening up their own practice.

The PA route is a good one. You just have to remember that in many cases, as a PA, you won't have the autonomy a physician will. As of right now, PAs generally can't start their own practice without hiring a physician to audit their charts. You have to decide what's right for you. For many people posting in pre-allo, the more in-depth knowledge of disease and illness coupled with the independence that comes with a medical degree is worth the extra years of training.

Thanks for your answer Revilla!

So basically PAs always have to work under the supervision of a physician, thus living up to the name Physician Assistant?

Members don't see this ad :)
1. How come that the education for a PA is only 2 years when the education of a physican takes 6 or 8 years (depending on country) years less than a physician but in the end, they end up doing almost the same thing. And how come that they earn almost as much as a physician?

2. How does physicians today look upon PAs? Do you feel like they're "stealing their jobs" seeing as it's seems to be alot easier to become a PA than a physician and that salary is lower for PAs, thus making them more popular amongst employeers.

3. Will PAs in the future be able to take over most specialities that physicians today are working in thus decreasing the need for physicians dramatically.

4. Why should i educate myself to become a physician that takes 6 years in my homecountry (Sweden) instead of a PA that only takes 2 years?

1. PA's are, as stated "physician's assistants." They don't have to pay malpractice, but they do not earn nearly as much as a specialized physician. They operate under the supervision of the physician and not independently.

2. No, they are not "stealing doctor's jobs." They do help in primary care and other lower-intensity specialties, but ultimately there MUST be a doctor to supervise their practice. Think of it like business. A manager operates independently over his/her employees.

3. No. You will never have a PA remove your grandma's brain tumor. Physicians would not be as well trained as they are just for the hell of it. There is too much medical knowledge and training that physicians get and PA's do not for them to EVER take over for a physician. Refer to Pandabear's blog for this: http://pandabearmd.com/blog/2007/05/23/other-medical-careers-physician-assistants/

4. It's up to you. I'm not going to convince you either way.

Alright. I'm just a little worried that the PAs and similar professions will make the job outlook for becoming physicians worse and worse. It's probably not true but its just something I worry about.

But thanks for your replies!

Physicians will always be in the picture. PAs are increasing in prominence but they will always be working in conjunction with MDs/DOs.

I've heard it explained as "independence through dependence." You build up a relationship with a physician, gain a skillset, and as you get more experience you are allowed to "spread your wings." But you have to think about your personality: do you have to be "top dog"? do you have trouble asking others for help?

Please, everyone, be mindful of your 's. It's Physician Assistant.

I am in the PA field so let me give some input ...

1) While some PA's earn well into the 100,000 bracket the average salary is around 90,000 US Dollars. This is not what a physician makes in any specialty in the United States. Even if you take into account loans and the low salary of a residency, MDs will eventually net a higher salary somewhere down the road. It may take awhile however.

The two year education compared to 4 for medical school is due to a few less clinical rotations and certain foundation science courses being reduced. Many of the courses and professors are the same at medical institutions in the US.

2) I am not sure how the PA career will influence the MD job outlook. I can say with confidence that the utility of the PA profession has extended a physicians ability to practice and serve his/her patients. Most PA's and MD's enjoy a collegial relationship despite what this board portrays. I find the SDN attracts some of the more dissatisfied, jaded, and unprofessional physicians.

3) Specialties require knowledge and skills that require long residency and often in depth scientific knowledge (i.e neurosurgery, CT surgery) which PAs do not have. I do not feel PAs will take over specialties. Many PAs are in specialties. Also, many residency programs exist around the country (johns hopkins, yale, to name a few) specifically for PAs where they can learn advanced knowledge in specialties.

4) First off PA school is difficult to gain admissions. They require an undergraduate degree and prerequisites that you may not of met in preparation for your swedish medical education. This includes clinical experience (often aboive 1,000 hours) and numerous undergraduate level science courses. I am glad I became a PA, i enjoy the intimate bond I share with patients, the knowledge I have and the freedom to pursue my academic interests and maintain close ties with family/friends. If I was stuck in a residency and fellowship that would not be the case. However, had I accomplished those two along with the MD I would have greater knowledge of medicine and more autonomy (especially if I wanted to move into surgery). its your call, good luck.

Hello.

First of all, please excuse my grammar and language etc as English is not my primarily spoken language. And secondly if this post as been posting in the wrong section, but my gut told me that this forum was somewhat related to my question.

I've since a about a year back thought of a career in the medical section, mostly as an physician.

But recently I've discovered that in the US Physician Assistants are becoming a more and more popular. As I read more about Physician Assistants i realised that they can do almost anything that a physician can.

I've thought about this and by doing so I've come up with the following questions:

I probably have more questions that I will add to this thread, but not anymore that I can think of atm.

The question that I want an answer to most is if you think that PAs will become more attractive than physician thus drastically decreasing the need of physicians.

P.S

It's very well possible that I'm missinformed when it comes to the educational process and working conditions for PAs and for that I apologize. I'm basing my questions on "stuff" that I've read on the internet which may not reflect reality. Please forgive me if I've offended anyone out there, that was not my intent.

Paging PandaBear . . .

Edit: I see someone already linked his blog above.