Question regarding the new 2015 MCAT and scoring.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZSVDK_HNORC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that the new MCAT will be graded and scored the same way it is now, it just has the extra sections correct?
Due to the lack of familiarization, resources, and study materials, do you think competitive scores on the new MCAT will be lower than they are now? (27+ being competitive instead of 30+, or something like that) If this does end up happening, will schools recognize this and adjust their admission standards accordingly?
It just seems like the first batch of students taking the new MCAT are at a disadvantage if they are expected to score similar to students taking the MCAT of today.

Members don't see this ad.

It is my understanding that the new MCAT will be graded and scored the same way it is now, it just has the extra sections correct?
Due to the lack of familiarization, resources, and study materials, do you think competitive scores on the new MCAT will be lower than they are now? (27+ being competitive instead of 30+, or something like that) If this does end up happening, will schools recognize this and adjust their admission standards accordingly?
It just seems like the first batch of students taking the new MCAT are at a disadvantage if they are expected to score similar to students taking the MCAT of today.

The search function is your friend. My best guess is the new MCAT is out of 60, and comparing percentiles in a linear fashion, 48 on the new MCAT = 36 on the old MCAT. So, 30 on old MCAT = 40 on new MCAT. Adcoms compare by percentiles in 2015-2017 application cycles before completely switching out to new MCAT 2018 and above. So, new MCATers aren't necessarily at a disadvantage.

Reactions: 1 user