Question regarding what to bring up in an interview...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MeatballParmHero

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: I have a standing interest in Emergency Medicine, always have; I am currently an Advanced EMT/Firefighter for an ambulance and fire service and saying I love it is an understatement. My goal coming out of medical school is to go into EM and potentially become a medical director if I have enough interest in it. I am an undergrad sophomore currently.

So my question: Is it worth talking about this interest in entrance essays or interviews if applicable? And if my goal remained the same through medical school would it be more beneficial when applying to residencies instead?

While I completely realize my opinion may change as I continue, I am quite confident personally. I'm unsure if it would be worth bringing it up in an interview as I can see both sides of the argument; one, being that you have long term goals and motivation in mind, along with previous experience; second, being it may come off as closed-minded and not willing to change.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it’s fine to bring up, but acknowledge that EM is your interest now and you are going to use medical school as a chance to explore other fields too. If you go in with the idea that you’re only thinking EM and that’s your 100% plan, I think it could come across as close-minded.
I have a classmate who was an EMT for years and was for sure he was going to go into EM. He’s going into IM now.
I had wanted to be an EM doc since high school. I was almost 100% certain. I am now going into psych.
Of course, I definitely don't want to come across as close-minded and that is my problem with bringing it up. If I did bring it up I would let them know that I still have an open mind(which is true as I still have other interests). Thanks for the input.

Background: I have a standing interest in Emergency Medicine, always have; I am currently an Advanced EMT/Firefighter for an ambulance and fire service and saying I love it is an understatement. My goal coming out of medical school is to go into EM and potentially become a medical director if I have enough interest in it. I am an undergrad sophomore currently.

So my question: Is it worth talking about this interest in entrance essays or interviews if applicable? And if my goal remained the same through medical school would it be more beneficial when applying to residencies instead?

While I completely realize my opinion may change as I continue, I am quite confident personally. I'm unsure if it would be worth bringing it up in an interview as I can see both sides of the argument; one, being that you have long term goals and motivation in mind, along with previous experience; second, being it may come off as closed-minded and not willing to change.

Thanks.
Fine for both, but you indeed have to think on your feet when interviews throw beanballs at your interests.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like a great talking point. If I was interviewing you, I would not perceive this goal as being close-minded. Rather, your experiences support a demonstrated interest in the field. Faculty recognize that many (most?) medical students end up in a specialty different than what they thought as an M0.

Reactions: 2 users
You should definitely bring this up on interviews that you're interested in EM because of your experience. You seem to have a strong clinical experience which is a definite plus. But don't limit yourself. You seem to have already recognized that it could potentially come off as close minded which means that you are self aware, which means that you can talk about your experience and how it drives your interest without being super "I'm going into IM and that's that."

But you should consider other specialties for sure. Pre-hospital care can be very different even from ER care. There are a lot of specialties for someone interested in the acute care setting.

Reactions: 1 users
LOL, what do you mean by beanballs?

beanbag maybe?

Sure bring it up, but say that it's an interest because of your experience. Don't say that you are certain it will be your path because you don't have enough experience with EM to be 100% sure.

Edit: I am embarrassed that I didn't think to google what beanball meant... they should have a dunce cap badge for times like these

Last edited: