Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LBJLA23

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Long time lurker. First time poster. Quick question: If I'm a good student (250 step 1, AOA) at a good med school and I go to a top 5 big name program (ie MGH, Brigham, UCSF, Stanford, etc) and do a in-demand fellowship (derm, GI) at above institution, will I be able to secure a well paid (>200k) job in a non-academic setting that's not in the middle of nowhere? I love pathology so I'm trying to get an idea. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

yes

We just went through a hiring binge. We had a decided lack of good candidates, and we are not in the middle of nowhere (but not in the northeast or southern cal).

Reactions: 1 user
I was AOA with a step 1 >250 and went to a top 5 west coast residency and did heme path. I got an amazing job that I love in a medium sized city in the northwest/mountains. I was in your shoes a few years ago and Im glad I didnt listen to the debbie downers on this forum. I have always been a firm believer that if you do what you love, are passionate about it and are a normal person who can effectively communicate (applies to any job in any field), people will trip over themselves to offer you a job. As someone said in another thread, if you have a decent pedigree and are a normal person, you will dominate the competition.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Yaah and Deucedano! Your posts make me feel much better. Appreciate the feedback.

Hey guys,

Long time lurker. First time poster. Quick question: If I'm a good student (250 step 1, AOA) at a good med school and I go to a top 5 big name program (ie MGH, Brigham, UCSF, Stanford, etc) and do a in-demand fellowship (derm, GI) at above institution, will I be able to secure a well paid (>200k) job in a non-academic setting that's not in the middle of nowhere? I love pathology so I'm trying to get an idea. Thanks!

Yes !! You will do just fine and will get paid much more than 200K if you are a decent pathologist and have good social skills. Don't listen to the doom and gloom. I was in your position some time ago and I am so glad that I didn't give up. I love pathology and won't be happy doing anything else. I am in my 7th year of practice now doing dermpath. If I want I can exit right now without getting worried about the money in future, however, I have realized that nothing makes me more happy than doing pathology. Pathology is a great profession and I can tell you from personal experience that job market is definitely improving. Our group just recently hired and it wasn't easy to find a a good candidate. Don't worry. You will do just fine !

Yes !! You will do just fine and will get paid much more than 200K if you are a decent pathologist and have good social skills. Don't listen to the doom and gloom. I was in your position some time ago and I am so glad that I didn't give up. I love pathology and won't be happy doing anything else. I am in my 7th year of practice now doing dermpath. If I want I can exit right now without getting worried about the money in future, however, I have realized that nothing makes me more happy than doing pathology. Pathology is a great profession and I can tell you from personal experience that job market is definitely improving. Our group just recently hired and it wasn't easy to find a a good candidate. Don't worry. You will do just fine !

Thank you!! You sound like you found great success. Hope it works out for me too like it did for you! Appreciate the vote of confidence.

Not to hijack the thread, but is it possible to get into a top 5 program with a 240 step 1 and strong research but no AOA? Really interested in Stanford if I decide on path.

Not to hijack the thread, but is it possible to get into a top 5 program with a 240 step 1 and strong research but no AOA? Really interested in Stanford if I decide on path.

Apply and see what happens. If peeps say no will you really not apply? But I figure you are probably looking for psychological reassurance. So the answer is yes.

Do an away at Stanford and be normal and you'll have a solid shot at getting in. I did 2 aways and places that Ireally wanted to go and I'm glad I did.

:eek: NO AOA?! Oh lordy, what will you do?:nailbiting:

Just trying to gauge my chances for a top program, and I know some of my competition at those programs will be AOA (OP for example), so I think it's a valid concern.

Do an away at Stanford and be normal and you'll have a solid shot at getting in. I did 2 aways and places that Ireally wanted to go and I'm glad I did.

Doing away rotations can be really helpful and ensure you get ranked highly or make sure you get put on the bottom of the list. When I was at Stanford I saw multiple rotating med students who looked really good on paper completely screw themselves by being lazy, brown nosing too much, throwing your resident under the bus in front of attendings, being arrogant, ect. If you are a normal person who is outgoing (well for a pathologist), communicates well, works hard and is engaged it could help tremendously. If you are shy or have a tendancy to do any of the above, I would not recommend it.

Reactions: 2 users
Doing away rotations can be really helpful and ensure you get ranked highly or make sure you get put on the bottom of the list. When I was at Stanford I saw multiple rotating med students who looked really good on paper completely screw themselves by being lazy, brown nosing too much, throwing your resident under the bus in front of attendings, being arrogant, ect. If you are a normal person who is outgoing (well for a pathologist), communicates well, works hard and is engaged it could help tremendously. If you are shy or have a tendancy to do any of the above, I would not recommend it.

Agree. Being respectful of ALL those around you is the key, now and in the future.

I was AOA with a step 1 >250 and went to a top 5 west coast residency and did heme path. I got an amazing job that I love in a medium sized city in the northwest/mountains. I was in your shoes a few years ago and Im glad I didnt listen to the debbie downers on this forum. I have always been a firm believer that if you do what you love, are passionate about it and are a normal person who can effectively communicate (applies to any job in any field), people will trip over themselves to offer you a job. As someone said in another thread, if you have a decent pedigree and are a normal person, you will dominate the competition.

Wow...you make the average pathologist out to be a sociopath.

The average pathologist is not a sociopath. But there are an awful lot of people who manage to graduate med school despite being awful people, arrogant, self-promoting, poor teammates and colleagues, etc.

Reactions: 1 users