Question

Started by urmaddyaps
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

urmaddyaps

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question about applying to MST programs and grad schools in general: is one favored more (or less?) when they apply to their UG university for grad school? Like, for example, I go to UR, and if I apply for the MST program at UR, will I be favored more because i did my undergrad studies here? My friend said that schools usually don't like to pick their own students again, and that they try to diversify anf stuff, but I think it works the opposite way. Any thoughts?
 
I know of 3 people (including myself) who are UR undergrads that applied to UR MSTP this year. All three got accepted, and all three are going elsewhere next year.

Like dr.z, I doubt it matters one way or the other to MSTPs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree with them. MSTP seem to not care about it, but some schools have specific policies against taking their own UG for grad school (the inbreeding issue).
 
Since MSTP classes are small, I think it makes sense that they want to diversify the group so they won't take too many of their own undergrads. I applied to my UR MSTP along with 2 others and we all got waitlisted, presumably because others from the same UR were offered spots first. Two of us declined our spots on the waitlist and are going elsewhere and I think the third is waiting because he only interviewed there. I guess your chances might be better if you apply early so that you're offered an acceptance rather than waitlisted.