Questions about DAT and Applications in September

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sohrabb24

Reaction score
HI,

I am a second time applicant and wanted to get everything in early this year but unfortunately, September is the earliest I can retake the DAT.

Last year, I submitted my application in June and took my DAT in July. I only got one interview and got waitlisted.

I heard a few rumors on SDN and would like to ask about their validity.

I heard that if you need to take the DAT a second time, you should NOT submit your application until you have taken the DAT. Otherwise, dental schools will just judge you by your first score even if you say you are taking the DAT again in your application.

What should I do? I don't want my application to be late but if I submitted it early, it may end up being unfavorable for me even if I score well on my second DAT.

Should I submit my app now or wait till I take my DAT on September 8th? Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What were the scores of your first attempt?

AA: 19
Bio: 14 (Yikes)
Gen Chem: 20
OChem: 18
Pat: 18
Quantitative: 17
Reading Comp: 25
Survey of the Natural Sciences (Total Science): 17

I'm afraid my Bio score in particular will get my app automatically tossed. I remember OSHU sent me an email basically confirming that last cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitting in September is not ideal at all. Tough situation, but thats very late IMO.

Last edited:
AA: 19
Bio: 14 (Yikes)
Gen Chem: 20
OChem: 18
Pat: 18
Quantitative: 17
Reading Comp: 25
Survey of the Natural Sciences (Total Science): 17

I'm afraid my Bio score in particular will get my app automatically tossed. I remember OSHU sent me an email basically confirming that last cycle.

Your bio and TS are well below what most schools will accept. Definitely need to do an exhaustive study of the DAT, which can take up to 6 months if you study at a reasonable pace. However it can be done in 3 months and you can apply this cycle, if you’re studying seriously 5-10 hours a day everyday for 90 days with few breaks. During studying, spend the extra $ and time to thoroughly go through DAT destroyer (For chem/bio/QR, old copy is fine), chad’s videos (for chemistry/QR review), and barron’s AP biology. If you can keep your RC score, that’s great. This will bring up your AA/TS. I also like DAT crack for PAT, since it wasn’t too intense and gave me a sense for tackling the section. I liked bootcamp as a final study tool, since the tests are extremely difficult and hit all subjects. I found that the order of importance in the eyes of schools for the different scores is AA>TS (chem/bio)>RC>PAT>QR, so keep this in mind in your study. This will do you a world of good! No pain, no gain!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I would submit after you take the dat in case you do worse.

I would submit after you take the dat in case you do worse.
Actually I agree with molar bear and have revised my last comment. Study hard over the next 90 days, and bring your scores up and apply if you see an improvement (Your goal should be at least 20-21 in all areas).

Actually I agree with molar bear and have revised my last comment. Study hard over the next 90 days, and bring your scores up and apply if you see an improvement (Your goal should be at least 20-21 in all areas).
yeah I feel like in my opinion there’s nothing worse than two stagnant DAT scores. As least if he does worse he can withhold his application