Questions about the Rosalind Franklin University College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi AJbara... if I take the date you mentioned e-submitting and add the time it takes PharmCAS to verify and deliver your application it's quite possible that we haven't received your application quite yet! Our turn around time from receipt in our office to the initial review and subsequent delivery of the Supplemental Application to you by email is about a week. Make sure you've checked your spam and junk filters for the supplementary application!You can avoid our messages going to spam by adding [email protected] to their safe senders list or address books."

What I have mentioned before is that I anticipate the PCAT scores for our inaugural class to be in the 50th percentile or better... however, without having a class already seated, I can't say what our average PCAT scores will be for fall.. and the last time I took stats, averages were made up of scores that are both higher and lower than the average! Hang in there and allow us the time to review your application!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you - and let me know if you have any other questions!

Ok! Thank you (biting nails)

Members don't see this ad.

Wooo hoooooooo

I got in!! Hope to see some of you next year!! I'm super super excited! :D

I will decline other offers and accept this school since this is my top choice.

Good luck everyone who is interviewing. Let me know if you have any questions.
:xf:

Wooo hoooooooo

Good luck everyone who is interviewing. Let me know if you have any questions. :xf:

Did you receive a call or e-mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you receive a call or e-mail?

It was a call and they said I'll receive the package with acceptance checklist and acceptance letter next week.

What about you? Did you hear back or interview yet?

It was a call and they said I'll receive the package with acceptance checklist and acceptance letter next week.

What about you? Did you hear back or interview yet?

Congrats UyenRita. I Interviewed on Feb 18, I didn't hard any thing.
when you got call

Last edited:
Wooo hoooooooo

Congrats UyenRita! I got in as well =) Hope to meet you when school starts =)

i got in tooooo guysssss im so excited!!!!

Hah! 2 new persons and this is their first post on this forum just saying they got in to RFUMS...? hmmm.... :rolleyes:

Anyways, thanks for the congrats. COngrats to you guys as well. We all made it!! yayyyy

Oh by the way, I got my packet today in the mail. Did you guys get it? There are 3 pages right? They said there is a return addressed envelop that we could use it to send back our declaration of intent form. However, I don't see it in my packet? Is it just me missing it?

@pharmacy001: I got a call on Wednesday and got my packet in the mail today

Congrats to everyone that has been accepted thus far! I was acceped this week too and will be attending. If any of you have any questions regarding the interview process feel free to post or PM me.

I have joined the Facebook group that UyenRita created and if you plan to attend RFUMS this fall I suggest you join too! I believe this is a great way to get in touch and meet one another as well as keep each other informed before class starts this fall.

Best wishes for a great career in pharmacy!

a question for mandy, do you review the whole application again after the interview or do u just evaluate a candidate based on their interview??? thanks

I received a PM re: interview experience and instead of replying directly to this person I am posting it on here so those of you that have upcoming interviews can all benefit from my response. Overall, I truly enjoyed the interview at RFUMS. Everyone, admission staff, faculty members, and students, had a positive demeanor which helped with making the day less tense. They were all very accommodating to all the questions we had. Interviews in general can be tough but just try to relax that way you as a person and your interests can be naturally portrayed to the faculty at RFUMS :)

The day consisted of a brief introduction, one on one interview with a faculty member, writing sample, group interactive session, lunch, and tour of the facility.

These are the questions below:

1) What interview questions that they asked you (if you don't mind to share with me)
Everyones questions differ with the faculty member they are assigned to. I was asked the typical questions: Why pharmacy, why RFUMS, what are the roles of a Pharmacist, how is the role of pharmacy changing, etc. Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with someone and what did you do to resolve it. Your interviewer would have seen your file so you may get questions on your grades, PCAT, what you've written in your PS, work experiences, and volunteer experiences.

2) What is the essay topic that they normally asked us to write about?
The writing portion of your interview will just be to respond to a topic on an ethical dillemma. You have 30 mins to respond. If you've taken the PCAT then you are already familiar with how to attack this. Create a standard 3-4 paragraph essay with your intro, body, and conclusion. You get scrap paper to help organize your thoughts, which I highly suggest you do so when you attempt to write your essay you have it well planned out already and your message gets translated across clearly.

3) How long the interview will be because I understand that the essay part will be 30 min.
The whole interview day was from 8:30-2:00. The interview with the faculty member was about 45mins long, which is plenty of time for them to get to know you and for you to get to know them and ask any questions.

I hope this information helps! Let me know if anyone has any other questions and post them on here so everyone can benefit! Good luck to all of you and I look forward to seeing you all this fall! :xf::)

Hey Everyone!! Congrats to those who have already received their acceptances for the Class of 2015. I got to talk to a few of you on the phone last week when we made calls and I am thrilled for all of you!!

Welcome to the Rosalind Franklin family! I can't wait to meet you this fall!

If your packet was missing the return envelope for the Declaration of Intent and deposit, you can send these materials back to us in a regular envelope with this mailing address:

Rosalind Franklin University
College of Pharmacy Admissions
3333 Green Bay Rd
North Chicago, IL 60064

For those of you still waiting -- keep in mind COP is using a rolling admissions process. Acceptances will start coming in "waves" over the next few weeks. Hang with me a little bit longer... we continue to review candidates each week and will continue to make decisions as such.

Best to you all!
Ask RFUPharmacy

Members don't see this ad :)
a question for mandy, do you review the whole application again after the interview or do u just evaluate a candidate based on their interview??? thanks

Hey there chicagopharma -- great question. The whole idea of the personal interview is that we get to meet the candidates and gather additional information that we can't get from the paper application... your professionalism, your speaking/communication abilities, how you handle yourself in "pressure" situations, interact with other candidates, and (my personal favorite:) how you treat the receptionist, etc.

These are all facets about your candidacy that we can't get from just reading your application... and so, our final review is a review of you, the whole package. Some of the interview is specifically social (do you fit with RFUMS and do we fit your needs) and some is to assess the soft skills mentioned above. A portion of the interview is also to assess your scientific background and practical knowledge of the profession.

Does that help? Let me know if you have any other questions!
Ask RFUPharmacy

Hi everyone! Just a quick update for you… I’m getting ready to take a short leave and have asked one of my colleagues to help out with our Ask RFUPharmacy thread while I am away.

Autumn has been working closely with applicants from the College of Pharmacy since she started with the University a few months ago… some of you may recognize her name from your interview day! She’s great to work with and knows an incredible amount about the Pharmacy program and faculty. Feel free to ask her the same questions you’d ask me.

I’ll be back in about 12 weeks and will look forward to catching up with you all then. In the mean time, good luck to you all in the application process!
Best
Mandy

As Mandy has informed everyone, I will be helping out with SDN and providing information about the College of Pharmacy. I am one of the new Admissions Recruiters hired on this fall, so you may have met me during interview days or out on the road representing Rosalind Franklin University. I have loved my role thus far and excited to talk to people through SDN! I welcome all questions and I look forward to helping you with your process of applying to pharmacy school.
Let jump right in!
I know many might have heard about the interprofessionalism scope of the pharmacy program and wonder how this will all work at RFUMS. You may ask, is it just one project that lets you claim that the school emphasizes their “interprofessional” approach? While the students from all the programs do work on a project together, there are many other opportunities to learn with, from, and about each other. Examples would include Body Systems (physiology) with the physical therapy students, General Medicine with the Physician Assistance students, Ethics with the medical students, and microbiology with the podiatric medical students.
We believe taking courses with students from other programs will aid in the learning and succeeding in a course. Students use their strengths within the classroom to enhance discussion and learn how their roles work with each other once out in the work place. How cool is it you can build your network across professions from day one in your program!
To see all the integrated courses yourself, take a look at the Curriculum –at- a- Glance http://rosalindfranklin.edu/DNN/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=kT4hXPkIBUY%3d&tabid=3550
(Integrated courses indicated in blue)
Hopefully this overview helps you understand the College of Pharmacy and Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science approach to interprofessionalism.

Ask RFUPharmacy

I'm glad to see a lot of you got in. It looks like the inaugural class is rounding out nicely! Good luck everyone :)

Mandy had stated earlier that students are being accepted in waves.
Is this wave every week?
Also how many students are being accepted?
How many students were accepted so far?

Thanks in advance.

Good morning!

Please join us for the College of Pharmacy Open House. During this event you will be able to learn about the University overall and the services provided to students as well as meeting individually with faculty members from the College of Pharmacy.

The Open House will be on Monday, March 21st from 11:30 am- 1:30 pm. The first hour covers general University information and a campus tour and the last hour is spent with the College of Pharmacy. If you are interested in visiting the campus and learning more about the program, go to the College of Pharmacy webpage, http://rosalindfranklin.edu/dnn/administration/facultystaff/currentstudents/admissions/collegeofpharmacyadmissions.aspx, and click on the March 21st date. This will bring you to the webpage to register for the event. I want to let you know ahead not to be alarmed when you get to this page because it only indicates the College of Health Professions for the Open House at the top. We are bringing together the two college’s Open House events and we are still updating all the electronic pages for the event. But in the section to indicate your program of interest you have the option to highlight pharmacy.

Let me know if you have any questions about this event . I hope to see you there!

Ask RFUPharmacy

Mandy had stated earlier that students are being accepted in waves.
Is this wave every week?
Also how many students are being accepted?
How many students were accepted so far?

Thanks in advance.

The College of Pharmacy plans on reviewing applications on a regular basis as on-campus interviews are completed...likely through May this year. The Admissions Committee does meet weekly at this point to review both new applicants and candidates. With that said, the class is not yet full and we don’t expect to be for several weeks! We anticipate having 65 students in the inaugural class this fall.

For those of you who have supplemental still not submitted, we encourage you to send them in immediately so your applications can be reviewed!

Ask RFUPharmacy

Good afternoon!

The College of Pharmacy is pleased announce the supplemental application deadline has been extended to May 16th! The decision has been made in order to accommodate all the applications received near the end of the Pharmcas application cycle. This means if you have a supplemental still in your hands please send it in as soon as possible so we can review your application! And for those you have sent in a Pharmcas application but not have received a supplemental application, you still have time to be a part of the application process. But I will add applicants will only receive a supplemental application if you meet the minimum GPA requirements. If you have any updates from your courses which would bump you over the minimum GPA requirement, send the updated transcripts to our office. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions about the deadline extension.

Ask RFUPharmacy

How long after the interview will a decision be made? I have an interview coming up and I’m really excited. All the information posted here has been great. Thanks.

How long after the interview will a decision be made? I have an interview coming up and I’m really excited. All the information posted here has been great. Thanks.

during the interview they said that we'll hear from them within 2 weeks! good luck

Wooo hoooooooo

Congratulations UyenRita! I just had my interview this past Friday! Thank you for all of your helpful tips and wishes.

To everyone else who has interviews, I wish you the best of luck. The faculty and staff were very nice and welcoming. Also, spend some time talking with students and stay in the area for a few days if you can. It was a pleasant experience for me. If anyone has any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best Wishes!

I received my call on Monday and letter on Friday!!! I'm in!!! Whoohoo! :banana:

Good luck everyone! :xf: I've received some questions, let me know if anyone else has any.

Hi guys!!

I have an interview coming up and I am really freaking out about the writing part. Can anyone tell me specifically what the question was? I am super sorry if I am asking for too much but I am just really nervous and preparing ahead of time always helps me.

So please please please help me if you don't mind...please!!!!!

and thank you sooooooo much in advance!!!!

Hi guys!!

I have an interview coming up and I am really freaking out about the writing part. Can anyone tell me specifically what the question was? I am super sorry if I am asking for too much but I am just really nervous and preparing ahead of time always helps me.

:nono:

needhelp2day,

I understand your nervousness but the writing portion of the Interview Day is really just trying to see your critical thinking skills. And the question for the writing portion changes each time. We don't try to trick you the question, so just come into the session with a clear mind!

Ask RFUPharmacy

Hello everyone,

I will be in Nashville, TN tomorrow at Vanderbilt University's Health Professions Graduate School Fair from 2-6 pm. If your in the area make sure stop by and say hi!

Ask RFUPharmacy

Hi guys!!

I certainly hope that if you get in to pharmacy school and get through the 3-4 years, that when you prepare for the NAPLEX that you realize that this type of asking is considered misconduct and unprofessional.

Congrats you guys on your acceptances and interviews. I have yet to hear anything :( (tear drop)

I interviewed on Friday and got the call today. I'm in! Pleased to answer any questions if I can.

Congrats you guys on your acceptances and interviews. I have yet to hear anything :( (tear drop)

When did you complete your supplemental?

I will have the interview on April 29.. I think it's really late, do I still have a chance to get in?? Do you guys know how many people they already accepted so far???

I will have the interview on April 29.. I think it's really late, do I still have a chance to get in?? Do you guys know how many people they already accepted so far???

That's exciting you have your interview lined up! The College of Pharmacy plans to interview until the class is filled, so you definitely have a chance to get into the program. Good luck with everything and we look forward to seeing you on campus!

Ask RFUPharmacy

Last edited:
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science recently held a ceremony to recognize outstanding instructors during the Fifth Annual Student-Sponsored Faculty Teaching Awards.

Congratulations to Dr. Abel and Dr. Harrison for being recognized as OUTSTANDING INSTRUCTORS!!!!!!

http://tinyurl.com/RFUNews420

Ask RFUPharmacy

Hello Everyone,

We will be posting the answers some frequently asked questions here for admitted students. Please feel free to add to the questions base, and we'll get the answers posted for you!

If you don't find the answer you're looking for here, try our Accepted Students Resource Page at: http://tinyurl.com/CoP-Admitted-2011

1) Which transcripts do you require? Where do I send them? When?
We require that an official transcript be sent directly from the issuing institution for each post-secondary institution from which you received course credit. We request that you arrange
for these to be received at RFUMS by July 15, 2011.

If the grades for any prerequisite coursework do not yet appear
on the transcript by that date, please send a transcript showing
the course in progress. Then follow up with the final graded
transcript no later than the first day of new student orientation
(August 9, 2011).

The address to which these should be sent is:
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
Admissions Office - College of Pharmacy
3333 Green Bay Road
North Chicago, IL 60064

Hi future RFUers!

My name is Amy and I am currently a P1 student over at CSU. I am an older nontrad student that owns a small house in the Zion, Illinois area. I currently have tenants in this house but their lease expires at the end of July. I am looking to find some new tenants. Being that this house in Zion is only a twenty minute drive from RFU I thought it might not be a bad idea to mention its availability and see if I could find a few mature RFUers to lease it during the next year's cycle.

Let me tell you about the house. It is a two bedroom one bath house with a decent sized kitchen, living room, and a side room that many previous tenants have used either for a dining room or office. It is 800 square feet in total. The kitchen has a brand new dishwasher, stove, refrigerator, and a built in microwave. There is a large front yard and a very large fenced in backyard. There is a tool shed and enough space to park two to three cars (tight) on the cement parking pad behind the house. Before you moved in the entire house would be cleaned, repainted, and new carpeting would be installed. I have pictures of the house if you are from out of state and want to see it.

Tenants would be responsible for paying for their electricity, gas and naturally phone, internet, and cable. I would pay for the water and trash bill. Snow removal is the responsibility of the tenant but I would handle keeping the grass mowed. It is a very nice and quiet area with nice neighbors. I would be looking to rent the house out to people that were able to maintain that same environment. Rent would be $900 a month with a $900 security deposit required upon move in. I would need to run a credit check and see that there are no judgements, liens, prior evictions, or other excessively negative credit information. I would be willing to rent the house out to more than one person so a roommate situation could be done with two to no more than three students. If you are interested and want further information feel free to message me.

Thanks!
Amy

Good morning,

The College of Pharmacy would like to welcome Jamie Holmes, PharmD, to Rosalind Franklin Univeristy of Medicine and Science!

Jamie is originally from Minneapolis, Minnesota and graduated with her Doctor of Pharmacy degree from Drake University College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences in Des Moines, Iowa. Upon completion of the program, she was accepted into the Institute for Pharmaceutical Industry Fellowships at Rutgers University Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy as a post-doctoral fellow in Medical Information in conjunction with Bristol-Myers Squibb.

Jamie continued her training at the Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy as a neuropsychiatry pharmacy practice resident with clinical sites at University of Medicine and Dentistry, New Jersey/Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital and Princeton House Behavioral Health, an inpatient psychiatric treatment facility. While training at Rutgers, Jamie was involved with lecturing and instructing several classes including Pharmacy Communications, Gerontology, Advanced Neuropsychopharmacology, and Neuropsychiatric Therapeutics.

Jamie is very excited to join the faculty at the College of Pharmacy while developing the clinical practice site in psychiatry at the Captain James A. Lovell Federal Health Care Center in North Chicago.

Ask RFUPharmacy

And yeap, i'm in!:smuggrin: Dang all the wait but it worthed!
I have question though:
-Where can i find the information about housing?

Dear vinapharm,

We are excited to have you at RFUMS! You should recieve an email with information about housing at RFUMS but you can also look on our website at: http://rosalindfranklin.edu/dnn/adm...g/ProspectiveResidents/tabid/612/Default.aspx.

Office of Student Housing is a great resource for information about living on or off campus. Please do not hesitate to contact them with any questions!

And don't hesitate to contact the Office of Admissions with questions about your transition to campus!

Ask RFUPharmacy

And yeap, i'm in!:smuggrin: Dang all the wait but it worthed!
I have question though:
-Where can i find the information about housing?

Dear vinapharm,

We are excited to have you at RFUMS! You should recieve an email with information about housing at RFUMS but you can also look on our website at: http://rosalindfranklin.edu/dnn/adm...g/ProspectiveResidents/tabid/612/Default.aspx.

Office of Student Housing is a great resource for information about living on or off campus. Please do not hesitate to contact them with any questions!

And don't hesitate to contact the Office of Admissions with questions about your transition to campus!

Ask RFUPharmacy
Sorry to ask you one more time, when i apply for FAFSA, under the question "what level are you when you begin your school?" Do i choose 1 year graduate for RFUMS COP or the 1st year of pharmacy are still undergraduate?" Just want to make sure cuz i already chose 1st year graduate school!:rolleyes:

Sorry to ask you one more time, when i apply for FAFSA, under the question "what level are you when you begin your school?" Do i choose 1 year graduate for RFUMS COP or the 1st year of pharmacy are still undergraduate?" Just want to make sure cuz i already chose 1st year graduate school!:rolleyes:

Great question!

You are considered a year 1 graduate student for the RFUMS College of Pharmacy. If you have any further questions about financial aid you can contact the Financial Aid Office at (847) 578-3217. They can help you with any questions about finacial aid and FAFSA.

Ask RFUPharmacy

Dear vinapharm,

Ask RFUPharmacy
I did not receive any email from RFUMS, i don't mind to call the office of the schools but do we have problems with the email system? Cuz i got promised that i will get other emails from RFUMS( like the back ground test) but never get anything. And i did check the spam folder so....yeah....! Should the school fix it?

How do you consider retakes? My pre pharm GPA is not very great which is why I had to retake my classes to meet the min req..so my question is do you average the classes or you take the grade recently made? also how would you evaluate this in the interview process if an applicant has almost retaken all the pre pharm classeS?
Thanks for your time!

Dear krishna1990,

The College of Pharmacy takes into account the GPA that is created through the PharmCAS application, which includes both the original grades and the retaken grades. But we do review at the courses that were retaken and take into account whether the grades improved. We recommend that if you are not satisfied with a grade; retake the course.

As an applicant, it is best to be prepared for any questions about your application in the interview process. Asking why most prerequisites courses were retaken would be a fair question for the interviewer; so be prepared to answer in a positive manner. The biggest influence from this type of background would more your ability to explain the situation, rather than the simple fact that many of the prerequisites were retaken.

I hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable Fourth of July weekend!

Ask RFUPharmacy

How do you consider retakes? My pre pharm GPA is not very great which is why I had to retake my classes to meet the min req..so my question is do you average the classes or you take the grade recently made? also how would you evaluate this in the interview process if an applicant has almost retaken all the pre pharm classeS?
Thanks for your time!

Thank you so much! also one more question, I am applying from texas and I wanted to make sure that the classes that I have taken over here would be applicable to your pre req. Would you suggest calling the school/advisor or emailing them?
Thanks for your time

Dear krishna 1990,

At this link, http://rosalindfranklin.edu/dnn/adm...fpharmacyadmissions/academicrequirements.aspx, you will find the pre-pharmacy coursework required by the College of Pharmacy. The Office of Admissions does not have restrictions on the institution in which you have attended to fulfill these requirements, as long as the institution is accredited, we will accept the courses. But if you do have further questions about the course requirements and your background specifically, you are more than welcome to call the Office of Admissions at 847-578-3204.

Don't hesitate to ask me anything that will help you prepare to apply to the College of Pharmacy. Its best to know all aspects well in advance so you don't run into any deadline complications.

Ask RFUPharmacy

Thank you so much! also one more question, I am applying from texas and I wanted to make sure that the classes that I have taken over here would be applicable to your pre req. Would you suggest calling the school/advisor or emailing them?
Thanks for your time

I had a quick question for the rep from RFU. What happens if you attend the COP the first year and it does not get accredited. Is there any information on this?