Questions for the adcoms out there: What is your opinion of Student-Athletes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

athlete1188

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. What is your honest opinion about NCAA D1 student-athletes?
2. What had your experience been like when you interviewed them?
3. If you went on to accept them, did your opinion about them change?

Thank you in advance from all the SAs out there.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
A multitude of different people become D1 athletes. Because D1 athletes are a diverse group, one particular label or characterization does not fit. Being a D1 athlete is an accomplishment to be proud of and it shows dedication and athletic talent. If you combine that with good grades, a good MCAT, good ECs, and other admirable traits (compassion, cultural competency, etc.), you—like many D1 athletes before—will make an excellent medical student and doctor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not an ADCOM, but my impression is that they are a dedicated and talented group of people who have demonstrated the perseverance necessary to hone a skill to near-perfection. If the academic record shows that they were similarly dedicated in the classroom, then I imagine they would be quite competitive applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
1. What is your honest opinion about NCAA D1 student-athletes?
2. What had your experience been like when you interviewed them?
3. If you went on to accept them, did your opinion about them change?

Thank you in advance from all the SAs out there.
1) Most of my Adcom colleagues think D1 is a vitamin
2) Academically, they're all over the place. They tend to interview well, and my wily old Admissions deans is fond of them.
3) It's hard to keep track of how they did.

Do NOT assume that a weak app will be made up for by being an athlete. This may sound a little harsh, but I would not call your athletic career an explanation for your GPAs. I would call it evidence that you chose to prioritize the short-term over the long-term, which is not a particularly appealing characteristic in a potential physician. You will simply get crowded out by applicants with stronger academic records.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
1) Most of my Adcom colleagues think D1 is a vitamin
2) Academically, they're all over the place. They tend to interview well, and my wily old Admissions deans is fond of them.
3) It's hard to keep track of how they did.

Do NOT assume that a weak app will be made up for by being an athlete. This may sound a little harsh, but I would not call your athletic career an explanation for your GPAs. I would call it evidence that you chose to prioritize the short-term over the long-term, which is not a particularly appealing characteristic in a potential physician. You will simply get crowded out by applicants with stronger academic records.

These are great answers. Thank you for sharing your perspective on this!

Reactions: 1 user