Questions for the girls interviewing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hahaha I"ve had a great time reading this thread!!! Really helpful... and it's hilarious that the guys began writing but eventually got phased out!!

Anyways I have a question about interview attire! From everywhere that I've read it's always recommended that the dress shirt should be a pale colour or white, would it be really unprofessional to wear a coloured one? Say light turqouise? My suit's black and I'm usually not a black and white person because I love colour, but I just wasn't sure if it was appropriate!

P.S. EEL, I'm interviewing at DCOM on 11/30! I guess i shall see you there! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Anyways I have a question about interview attire! From everywhere that I've read it's always recommended that the dress shirt should be a pale colour or white, would it be really unprofessional to wear a coloured one? Say light turqouise? My suit's black and I'm usually not a black and white person because I love colour, but I just wasn't sure if it was appropriate!

I think a bit of color is fine . . . as long as it's not magenta! :laugh: I think a light turquoise, or any light pastel color, would look really nice with a black suit.

Good Luck :luck:

From everywhere that I've read it's always recommended that the dress shirt should be a pale colour or white, would it be really unprofessional to wear a coloured one? Say light turqouise? My suit's black and I'm usually not a black and white person because I love colour, but I just wasn't sure if it was appropriate!

Wear whatever makes you feel like a million bucks, within reason. Meaning that if there are sequins or rhinestones on it, or it's sharkskin, you'd better be able to really pull it off. And walk and sit and freeze and sweat in it. And pack it.

I think a color against black is a great idea, if you're comfortable and confident in the outfit, and if somebody who has the cajones to be honest with you says it looks great.

Personally I'm considering a dark maroon collared shirt, that I love, to go with my ultra-conservative navy suit. I feel like my grandma in a cream blouse.

Members don't see this ad :)
aww thanks guys, I appreciate the fast replies!! you guys are so on top of it!! :)

It's the SDN fashion consultants!

My shirts were turquiose and orange. Orange is my favorite color so I had to. I originally had a light pink shirt but it really drained the color from my face so that's when I went to NY and Co for help!!

P.S. EEL, I'm interviewing at DCOM on 11/30! I guess i shall see you there! :)

Woo hoo!! You know I was wondering what happened to you a while back because I think you were one of the few who didn't update on the AACOMAS verification thread. Are you going to stay at the Holiday Inn Express? Guess I should call and make a reservation. Is it going to cost you a buttload of money to fly in Knoxville too? You can be the one to report back to everyone if I actually managed to pull off looking decent. I'll be the one who looks Hispanic but isn't. :laugh:

I bought a little purse from NY bc it was cheap (only $7) but was looking for a larger one. They were way more expensive so I stuck with the little one. The girl at NY also said it was typical to have a watch to appear time-conscious and since I just use my cel phone to tell time, I had to buy one. I also bought a couple of sets of earrings and a necklace and had them pick out two shirts for me. I brought in the suit and they picked the best matching shirts since my pinstripes were cream and I didn't even know it mattered (I just thought they were white). I also got a large barette that they recommended but never wore it bc I couldn't get it to stay in. I got my shoes from JCPenny's on sale for $25 but I wish I would have looked around for something more comfortable. They had about three inch heels with little bows on the front and a more rounded look. I don't think I would have found something I liked better, appearance-wise. I think that's about all for me.
Thanks very much.

My shirts were turquiose and orange. Orange is my favorite color so I had to. I originally had a light pink shirt but it really drained the color from my face so that's when I went to NY and Co for help!!

Orange, nice! :) I wish I was brave enough for orange!

Yeah, I've worn each three times. I was going to wear the orange one if I got an OSU interview, but it looks as if that's not going to happen.

Oooh, that'd be a nice touch! Did you wear it for your KCUMB interview, too? It never hurts to show some school spirit! :love:

It's still early; you could still hear from OSU. :luck:

No, KCUMB was my first interview so I was very nervous and stuck with the turquoise for that one. I should've though.:p

Is there anyone else EXTREMELY short who has found a nice suit somewhere. I'm only 4'10 so it's really hard to find clothes that fit? I finally found a skirt suit at Ann Taylor today but really wanted a pants suit. The length always is too long though it seems and the crotch seems too low or something so I look like a ***** in pants suits that I've seen. Anyone have more luck with the pants?

And might I also add I hate having small feet....I went to 8 stores today and couldn't find a single pair of shoes that fit let alone that I liked!!

Is there anyone else EXTREMELY short who has found a nice suit somewhere. I'm only 4'10 so it's really hard to find clothes that fit? I finally found a skirt suit at Ann Taylor today but really wanted a pants suit. The length always is too long though it seems and the crotch seems too low or something so I look like a ***** in pants suits that I've seen. Anyone have more luck with the pants?

And might I also add I hate having small feet....I went to 8 stores today and couldn't find a single pair of shoes that fit let alone that I liked!!

:laugh: I just have to say I was cracking up reading your post because I have the exact opposite problem! It was hard for me to find pants what weren't too short (I'm 5'7) and I can never find shoes because I wear a size 10! :laugh:

On another note, most of the pants I tried on were saggy in the crotch and very high waisted and I think that's just how they are supposed to be. I looked for more modern/stylish cuts and brands (like NY&Co, DKNY, etc) and the pants seemed to be a bit more fitted with a lower rise.

Good Luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
So this is a little late but I just saw this thread and decided I'd give my input. For all you girls out there you should always wear a skirt...I know it sucks and is uncomfortable and completely unfair and outdated and sexist and a lot of other things, but that's just how it is. You can't change the system, so don't try to fight it.

From Pre-med committee at my University

Tips for the actual interview:
1. Dress so that your attire is not an issue! Wear a conservative well-pressed suit in solid colors or with a very subtle pattern and polished dress shoes. If you have doubts, err on the side of being conservative. You may wish to consult someone in the Career Center on this subject.
  • Women: Wear a suit or dress with skirt below the knee when sitting and hose with conservative shoes. Slacks, tight skirts, or any skirt above the knee when you are seated will NOT make points for you. Keep jewelry simple; dangling earrings are a distraction. Only wear one pair of earrings, no nose/eyebrow/lip rings, etc.
  • Men: Wear a suit if you have one or a sport coat and slacks with a tie (plain or non-flashy pattern) and plain shirt. Wear dress socks that match your outfit and dress shoes. Take out all ear/eyebrow/nose/lip rings. Do not wear rings on your fingers except a wedding or class ring.

I disagree that a skirt is necessary. I wore a pantsuit, and I was accepted to 3/4 schools where I interviewed so far, so it must not have been an issue. In fact, more women when I interviewed were in pants than skirts.

I disagree that a skirt is necessary. I wore a pantsuit, and I was accepted to 3/4 schools where I interviewed so far, so it must not have been an issue. In fact, more women when I interviewed were in pants than skirts.

I agree with IUgrad. That's craziness to suggest all women should wear a skirt. Do you happen to go to Bob Jones University?

Nope, actually a liberal arts school...so not conservative at all.

Congratulations on getting so many acceptances IUgrad. I was not suggesting that wearing pants would automatically get you rejected. Just that perhaps taking the more conservative route might have some effect on how you are perceived and the impression people have of you during an interview.

I agree that it's stupid. What you wear should not be the deciding factor in being accepted or not, and honestly, in most cases, it probably isn't. But it does matter what you wear. I'm pretty sure everyone would agree that it would be stupid to wear jeans and a t-shirt to an interview, so why do you find it so difficult to believe that some med schools may prefer women in a more traditional skirt suit than pants?

so why do you find it so difficult to believe that some med schools may prefer women in a more traditional skirt suit than pants?

If I find out what schools have the preference that women should wear skirts, I will withdraw my application and expose them for being ignorant, outdated, sexist, chauvinistic pigs!! What freakin year are we in!?

Thanks for your congratulations.

In my opinion (as a lowly premed so take it for what it's worth ;) ), professionalism is professionalism. It can be reflect in a number of ways, not exclusively by wearing skirts. Yes, I agree that jeans and a t-shirt are stupid to wear to an interview, but I don't think that is comparable. I think that medical schools expect you to show a certain amount of respect by dressing appropriately, and beyond this, I don't think that there are any expectations/preferences as to how that is accomplished. Just my opinion, though, and I could be wrong...maybe there are schools that prefer skirts. I don't claim to know anything for sure about this quirky process. ;) Just wanted to let people know that I went with pants and that it didn't hurt me, to my knowledge.

Good luck!

Well I think this is the argument my friend was trying to make for me wearing a skirt instead of pants. I wore the skirt because three different people told me that it looked better than the pants. I doubt that it really would make a difference but maybe there are one or two old fashioned interviewers somewhere and it might make a difference. I don't know but at this point I don't care about it so much.

Well I think this is the argument my friend was trying to make for me wearing a skirt instead of pants. I wore the skirt because three different people told me that it looked better than the pants. I doubt that it really would make a difference but maybe there are one or two old fashioned interviewers somewhere and it might make a difference. I don't know but at this point I don't care about it so much.

Trust me, I would have a harder time getting accepted if I wore a skirt. :laugh:

If I find out what schools have the preference that women should wear skirts, I will withdraw my application and expose them for being ignorant, outdated, sexist, chauvinistic pigs!! What freakin year are we in!?

I agree wholeheartedly!

I agree with IUgrad. That's craziness to suggest all women should wear a skirt. Do you happen to go to Bob Jones University?

By the way, hope I didn't offend anybody. I went to a conservative Bible College (which is kind of redundant) and we were not encouraged nor required to wear skirts for certain reasons such as this.

Trust me, I would have a harder time getting accepted if I wore a skirt. :laugh:

:oops: Well then don't wear one lol. I like what someone posted before wear what you like best because you will feel more comfortable blah blah blah

Can't we just get back to talking about the Hills?

:oops: Well then don't wear one lol. I like what someone posted before wear what you like best because you will feel more comfortable blah blah blah

Unfortunately I don't watch the Hills. I watch classy shows like The Girls Next Door and Dr. 90210. :laugh:

Yes we can. Hey, did you guys see the preview for next week's episode? Finally a Heidi-LC confrontation. There's so much anticipation! I'm excited but kind of nervous for it :p. Oh, and that purse Spencer gave to Heidi was really cute.

Unfortunately I don't watch the Hills. I watch classy shows like The Girls Next Door and Dr. 90210. :laugh:

Oh my gosh! LOL! I do too (Dr. 90210 rocks)! We're so classy.

I'm the classiest of you all b/c I watch America's Next Top Model.

And I love it. There. I said it. And I'm not ashamed any longer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, Meg!

Ok, I'll come out of the closet and say that I watched the America's Next Top Model marathon (I think it was on VH1) two weeks ago when I was home sick. I was surprised that it was so addictive! :)

Pretty sure I top all of you in classiness. For one, I use the word 'classiness' AND I watch all the reality love shows on Vh1. Flavor of Love 1 and 2, Rock of Love, I Love New York. However, unlike megboo, I remain ashamed of myself!:laugh:

I love I Love New York, Flava' o' Love, Rock of Love, Girls Next Door, Dr. 90210. I spent the last several weeks of my life watching and rewatching Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders. I'll probably watch them again if it's on tonight even though the finale was last week. Yes, I have no life. I'm glad I'm not alone though.

I watched all seasons of FOL and I:love:NY (this season is crazy). Plus I watch Celebrity Fit Club, Surreal Life, LA Ink, Miami Ink, Ghost Hunters, America's Most Smartest Model, Monster Garage, American Chopper, Hard Shine, Tattoo Wars, and a bunch of other reality shows on TLC/Cable channels.

I hate MTV though.

:laugh: I occasionally catch ANTM. I'm not really much of a VH1 connoisseur. Does anyone else watch Kimora: Life in the Fab Lane or Keeping up with the Kardashians? Do I just have way too much time on my hands? :D

I'm sad Midget Mac is gone. :(

I love I Love New York, Flava' o' Love, Rock of Love, Girls Next Door, Dr. 90210. I spent the last several weeks of my life watching and rewatching Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders. I'll probably watch them again if it's on tonight even though the finale was last week. Yes, I have no life. I'm glad I'm not alone though.

I'm fascinated by Girls Next Door. He is old enough to be their grandfather, maybe even great grandfather. If he would have hooked up with Kendra a few years earlier he would have been a pedophile! I don't get it but I can't tear my eyes away!

Honk if you're part of the reality shows cult! If it's a reality show, I've probably watched it or do watch it (Except I haven't been than into VH1). Thank God for MOXI (aka Tivo) because lately SDN has kept my attention. So, now when I'm not consumed with SDN I can go to my TV and reality binge.
Oh, EEL I definitely watch Kimora and Kardash but I'm behind because of SDN! Right now, I'm counting down the days until PROJECT RUNWAY!!!

Yeah, I think the girls are fun to watch. Kendra's hilarious and I think Holly is gorgeous. She's smart though, she knows what she's doing. The show makes me laugh and Hef is the exact same age as my grandpa and the girls are 5-10 years younger than me so it is gross and fascinating at the same time. I'm with ya'.

Honk if you're part of the reality shows cult! If it's a reality show, I've probably watched it or do watch it (Except I haven't been than into VH1). Thank God for MOXI (aka Tivo) because lately SDN has kept my attention. So, now when I'm not consumed with SDN I can go to my TV and reality binge.
Oh, EEL I definitely watch Kimora and Kardash but I'm behind because of SDN! Right now, I'm counting down the days until PROJECT RUNWAY!!!

Those shows are my Sunday night treat. My husband goes to see a movie every Sunday night and after the kids are in bed I get to watch my shows. Hey what happened to Girls Next Door and Sunset Tan? They used to be on Sunday evenings but I don't know if maybe they won't be on anymore. I've only been able to catch reruns.

I think Sunset Tan's season is over. Sometimes I still see reruns though.

Yeah, I think the girls are fun to watch. Kendra's hilarious and I think Holly is gorgeous. She's smart though, she knows what she's doing. The show makes me laugh and Hef is the exact same age as my grandpa and the girls are 5-10 years younger than me so it is gross and fascinating at the same time. I'm with ya'.

My favorite is Bridget. Holly is too serious. I wonder how long she will hold out hope that he'll marry her and/or get her pregnant.

So yeah next week's hills should be really good. I love the LC vs Heidi drama. I almost want to see them make up but that wouldn't be as good of tv as them fighting is.

I also usually watch a lot of reality shows but haven't kept up with too many lately. I did watch Rock of Love and thought was Jess was so cute and thank god she didn't stay with him because he's ugly.
The girl's next door is good but I never know when it comes on and when I do catch it it is always a rerun. I think I watch in order to figure out how someone could possilby be with someone so old.

I guess I'd have to say my favorite is Kendra just bc she's fun.

I am glad Jess left him too. He grossed me out. Hef is better than Bret!

Right now, I'm counting down the days until PROJECT RUNWAY!!!

[GASP!!!] Me too!!!!! I'm glad I have these days where TV is what I look forward to. I assume when I start med school in the fall I will be looking forward to things like sleep and showers. :)

Yes we can. Hey, did you guys see the preview for next week's episode? Finally a Heidi-LC confrontation. There's so much anticipation! I'm excited but kind of nervous for it :p. Oh, and that purse Spencer gave to Heidi was really cute.

Monday night is the highlight of my week (sad, I know)! I wish Heidi and LC would just get in a physical fight . . . now that would be good tv! ;)

I'm the classiest of you all b/c I watch America's Next Top Model.

And I love it. There. I said it. And I'm not ashamed any longer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me too Meg!! I freaking love that show and I've been watching since season 1! :laugh: :love:

:laugh: I occasionally catch ANTM. I'm not really much of a VH1 connoisseur. Does anyone else watch Kimora: Life in the Fab Lane or Keeping up with the Kardashians? Do I just have way too much time on my hands? :D

Ahhhhhh! I totally watch those!!! I love keeping up with the Kardashians! I feel bad for their 11 y/o child, who plays on the stripper pole, though. :barf:

FYI, a little tid bit for ya, the Mom's hubby, Bruce Jenner, has a son (Brody Jenner) who is also on the Hills! I just figured this out last week! :laugh:

Monday night is the highlight of my week (sad, I know)! I wish Heidi and LC would just get in a physical fight . . . now that would be good tv! ;)

LOL! A fight would definitely make for some good drama, but deep down I've been waiting for them to make up! It's like c'mon already! But, I'm not so sure MTV would let that happen. :laugh: