Questions for the girls interviewing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel bad for their 11 y/o child, who plays on the stripper pole, though. :barf:

FYI, a little tid bit for ya, the Mom's hubby, Bruce Jenner, has a son (Brody Jenner) who is also on the Hills! I just figured this out last week! :laugh:

Oh my gosh! I was just thinking about that today! I was so excited to see Brody on another show besides the Hills. He's so cute!
And I totally know what you mean about their daughter. That was pretty sickening with the pole and everything.:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm the classiest of you all b/c I watch America's Next Top Model.

And I love it. There. I said it. And I'm not ashamed any longer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I watch America's Next Top Model too!! Who do you think is going to get kicked next? :laugh:

I'm also looking forward to Project Runway starting up :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay I didn't want to let this thread die plus I'm leaving in a few minutes for the mall to find a suit. I would love any suggestions because I have no clue what I'm doing. At the mall there is a Dillard's, Macy's, JCPenney and Nordstrom. There's also a Nordstrom Rack by the mall. First I'm going to Nordstrom to get fitted for a new bra since, with the exception of nursing bras, I haven't bought a new one since well before my first child was born. I wish you guys could come with me because I'm going to be absolutely lost! :scared:

Okay I didn't want to let this thread die plus I'm leaving in a few minutes for the mall to find a suit. I would love any suggestions because I have no clue what I'm doing. At the mall there is a Dillard's, Macy's, JCPenney and Nordstrom. There's also a Nordstrom Rack by the mall. First I'm going to Nordstrom to get fitted for a new bra since, with the exception of nursing bras, I haven't bought a new one since well before my first child was born. I wish you guys could come with me because I'm going to be absolutely lost! :scared:

Good Luck with finding a suit. Narrow down by:
1.Color
2.Shirt to wear underneath
3. Number of buttons on jacket that looks the best on you 2 or three
4.Pads in shoulders
5.Remember to fit the widest part of you, all the rest can be taken in (people always forget that).....I dont care if someone is 5'7 and 100 lbs, theres some part thats wide (j/k).
6. Don't be afraid to use a tailor.
And lastly number 7.....::singing:::"you betta work, come on girl, work it now....do your thing"::: No matter what your budget, confidence adds value.:rolleyes:

EEL, you'll have to come back and report on what you got. I'm excited to hear. Too bad Texas is so far away or I would come and go shopping with you. :laugh:

Yes, give us the update! :) Hope you found one you like!

You got into IU!! How awesome! Congrats! :D:clap::banana:

So the shopping trip was awful! I don't really love shopping. I did decide that I like the way navy blue looks on me and gray makes me look washed out. No one even tried to help me. I did start out at Nordstrom getting fitted for a bra. I :love: stripping in front of strangers! :rolleyes: So then I looked there and didn't really find anything. So I go to Macys and find the suits on the bottom floor. The thing is I'm pretty sure all the shirts you would wear with them were on the 2nd floor. So I tried them on both with my t-shirt and without. Here's my problem. I wear one size on the bottom and apparently need a bigger size on the top. Let's just say my arms are muscular and I'm well endowed. I can't mix and match because the two sizes come from two different departments. Now I have no clue what to do but I found out my class for tomorrow night is cancelled so I will get to go back and do the fun all over again. By the way, what color shoes do you wear with a navy blue suit? Navy blue? I am willing to wear a black suit but I would definitely want a shirt color other than white. But like I said, the shirts were on a different floor and I was exhausted. I did go to Bath and Body Works and buy some stuff though. :D

Oh yeah and the bras were on the 3rd floor so that was fun as well.

EEL08 I feel you! You remember my suit adventure . . . 43 suits, yep! ;) You WILL find a suit that you love, don't worry! As for the navy suit, I think navy blue shoes or possibly light brown/cream shoes would look cute. Good Luck :luck:

I got totally exhausted too shopping for suits. I'm sorry you have to go back out again. You can always get your suit tailored if you have to. Good luck on finding the suit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! I'm just glad I have tomorrow evening to go back. My main concern is just getting two different sizes. Did you guys just buy one suit?

I bought a couple of suits on sale.

EEL - you know if you buy a suit at Macy's they have complimentary tailoring. Most higher-end department stores do, so if you bought sthg, save your receipt. I know Macy's does for sure though.

Thanks guys! I'm just glad I have tomorrow evening to go back. My main concern is just getting two different sizes. Did you guys just buy one suit?

I only bought one and got the top altered but I think some people buy separates.

Since I probably can't find separates that will match do you guys think I should just buy one size up and have the pants taken in and hemmed? By the way, how should a suit jacket fit?

Since I probably can't find separates that will match do you guys think I should just buy one size up and have the pants taken in and hemmed? By the way, how should a suit jacket fit?

That would probably work. I took my suit to a seamstress and she really seemed to know what she was doing and then I got it back and I tried it on the morning of my first interview and almost started crying. So then I took it to my grandma and she fixed it. I'm not really sure what it is supposed to look like but I'm sure you'll know if it doesn't look right. You could also ask someone at the stores who seem to know what they are doing.

Yeah if I don't get the tailoring done at a store I hope to find someone good and trustworthy to do it, and by next Thursday. :D I wish that there would have actually been someone there working, not to even mention someone who knew what they were doing. Some of these bigger department stores are more intimidating and seem a little less friendly.

Yeah if I don't get the tailoring done at a store I hope to find someone good and trustworthy to do it, and by next Thursday. :D I wish that there would have actually been someone there working, not to even mention someone who knew what they were doing. Some of these bigger department stores are more intimidating and seem a little less friendly.

just take it to MACY's

You got into IU!! How awesome! Congrats! :D:clap::banana:

Aw, thanks! :rolleyes: :D

So the shopping trip was awful! I don't really love shopping. I did decide that I like the way navy blue looks on me and gray makes me look washed out.

From your avatar, you look like you share the same complexion as me (very dark hair with fair skin) and I did read an article once that navy compliments that complexion best. I ended up with a black suit, just because I couldn't find a navy one that I really liked.

No one even tried to help me. I did start out at Nordstrom getting fitted for a bra. I :love: stripping in front of strangers! :rolleyes:

:laugh:

So then I looked there and didn't really find anything. So I go to Macys and find the suits on the bottom floor. The thing is I'm pretty sure all the shirts you would wear with them were on the 2nd floor. So I tried them on both with my t-shirt and without. Here's my problem. I wear one size on the bottom and apparently need a bigger size on the top. Let's just say my arms are muscular and I'm well endowed. I can't mix and match because the two sizes come from two different departments. Now I have no clue what to do but I found out my class for tomorrow night is cancelled so I will get to go back and do the fun all over again.

Ugh, I'm sorry you had such a rough time. This is why I hate shopping, too.

By the way, what color shoes do you wear with a navy blue suit? Navy blue? I am willing to wear a black suit but I would definitely want a shirt color other than white. But like I said, the shirts were on a different floor and I was exhausted. I did go to Bath and Body Works and buy some stuff though. :D

My mother, who is much more "fashion-inclined" than myself, told me when I was shopping to always choose a darker shade socks/hose and shoes than your slacks. I don't know if that helps or not. I used the salesgirls a lot when I went just because I'm not great with fashion. If they are not helpful at Macy's, maybe you could try another store tonight. Good luck, and don't despair -- it took me a few trips to find a suit that I felt comfortable in.

Good luck! :luck:

EEL08 - Hey chicka! I HATE clothes shopping as much as you do!! Uh, something to remember for us "well-endowed" gals, make sure you jacket and shirt don't bunch or pull in the wrong areas! Be sure to do a sit down test, as in, can you sit down, and how does it look sitting down? You can always buy the larger suit to fit your upper half and have a seamstress take in the difference. A suit should FIT, not skin tight, but it should curve with your body. You should not look like a straight board because your suit is too large. You may be lucky enough to find a suit straight off the rack like I did, but just like all the other ladies have said, it takes alot of trying on to find one that works!

I was ticked because I found my suit at Macy's but apparently no one sells blouses anymore!! I went to JC Penney's and found a PLETHORA of shirts to go underneath and settled on a sweater-type shirt that looks like a nice button up blouse in a soft fabric with a sweater over it... I rocked it, I felt comfortable in it and best of all, because it was only a button up to my cleavage line, there was no way to have that awkward pull between the buttons due to, ah, "the girls."

Anyway, if you need any other help, PM me...I'm happy to assist! Best of luck! :luck::laugh::D:p

Thanks everyone for commiserating with me! We ran to JCPenney last night so I could check out their suits. So I found one that's not too bad but I don't love in the "pleasingly plump" section but I nixed it when I realized that half the waistband of the pants is elastic! Just because people aren't thin doesn't mean they like to wear ugly clothes! Well other than my original dilemma now I'm confused about what size jacket I actually need. When I put my arms forward it kind of pulls across the back but I tried three different sizes and it all seems to do that. Should I just not pull my arms forward? I'm wondering how the arms should fit. So I'm going back today but will have to drag my children with me which will be loads of fun. :rolleyes: At least I can put them in the double stroller and toss any suits and stuff on top. Oh yeah and where are just plain, solid color blouse type shirts? I haven't really seen any yet. I will go back to Macy's today and try to find something. I just wish they had the one I like in my size. :( I'm starting to think the actual interview will be a breeze compared to finding a stinkin' suit.

:( I'm starting to think the actual interview will be a breeze compared to finding a stinkin' suit.

:laugh: In a way, that's almost a relief! Shopping can be a total drag especially when it's for suits, which aren't that exciting. I can't even imagine trying on thousands of suits (or even like ten). Don't worry EEL, I'm sure you will find a great suit!

I thought I would share with all of you my incredible shopping experience I had two days ago, in hopes of encouraging those of you in this annoying suit-shopping process. So, I went to Kohl's with my mom in attempts to begin my Christmas shopping. However, once I got there I got sucked into the forest of row upon row of clothing (which I began eyeing devilishly for myself). Might I mention, that pretty much all the entire store was on sale or clearance. Within a few minutes, my arms were full of clothes and I nonchalantly walked by the business/work attire section. Then I saw it... (cue the angels singing) an amazing, perfect, totally cute, exactly what I imagined interview suit. And, it was my size! Could it be true? (Actually I tried it on and ended up getting one size up in the jacket to ensure no 'busting' at the seems ;)) So, I ended up getting it! And, the best part is that it was on sale so it was less than $50! I still can't believe it!

I guess the moral of the story is that you may end up finding your suit in a time and place that you least expect it. Or maybe...the suit ends up finding you :D. Just keep your options open and remember to consider other stores besides just name-brand department stores. You never know, you may end up finding yourself in Kohl's Christmas shopping and soon come to realize that the perfect interview suit is staring you down from the rack. Now, I just have to get an interview invite! (That would be so sad-no interview and a perfect suit :laugh:) Anyway, good luck ladies! And, Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks for sharing that DancerDoc! I hadn't even thought about checking Kohls. I actually didn't get the chance to go today so picture me on Friday with a bunch of crazed shoppers trying to find a suit then waiting in line for forever to check out. :rolleyes:

Woo hoo!! You know I was wondering what happened to you a while back because I think you were one of the few who didn't update on the AACOMAS verification thread. Are you going to stay at the Holiday Inn Express? Guess I should call and make a reservation. Is it going to cost you a buttload of money to fly in Knoxville too? You can be the one to report back to everyone if I actually managed to pull off looking decent. I'll be the one who looks Hispanic but isn't. :laugh:

haha and I reply a month later!!

awww EEL you remembered me from the verification thread!! That's so sweet! I stopped updating because everytime I tried to copy and paste the info it wouldn't let me submit... and I have no idea why! I am staying at the Holiday Inn, but I'm gonna be driving in instead of flying! Are you going to the pizza thing the night before??

I'll keep an eye out for you now that you have your picture as your avatar! This is exciting!!! I however don't look like my avatar... cause I'm not a tree... haha!

Are you ready to rock and roll in a week? :) Wow that's so soon!!

haha and I reply a month later!!

awww EEL you remembered me from the verification thread!! That's so sweet! I stopped updating because everytime I tried to copy and paste the info it wouldn't let me submit... and I have no idea why! I am staying at the Holiday Inn, but I'm gonna be driving in instead of flying! Are you going to the pizza thing the night before??

I'll keep an eye out for you now that you have your picture as your avatar! This is exciting!!! I however don't look like my avatar... cause I'm not a tree... haha!

Are you ready to rock and roll in a week? :) Wow that's so soon!!

I wondered if you decided to leave us again. ;) Where are you driving from and what time do you plan to get there? My flight doesn't get in until about 6:15 that evening but I plan on heading to the pizza place as soon as I can get there. I'm starting to get really nervous! I don't have a suit yet and I have two papers and a presentation to finish before I leave next Thursday. Tonight I have to finish up a Genetics quiz and write my letter of interest for AZCOM. I'm doing my best not to freak out but I don't think it's working. :scared:

did you look at ann taylor? alot of peeps can find stuff there, how about nordstroms do you have one? They have a wide variety. I've also gotten alot of my suits at Express, they have lots of different fits as well and normally fairly affordable since they are always having sells

did you look at ann taylor? alot of peeps can find stuff there, how about nordstroms do you have one? They have a wide variety. I've also gotten alot of my suits at Express, they have lots of different fits as well and normally fairly affordable since they are always having sells

I've heard other people suggest Ann Taylor so I'll have to see if I actually have one around me that wouldn't require too much driving. I already checked Nordstrom and didn't find anything and I highly doubt Express would have the sizes I need, which is rather unfortunate. :( Would you guys suggest trying to go tomorrow or would it be any better to try on Saturday or Sunday? Of course keep in mind I'm almost positive I would have to have it tailored and back to me by Wednesday hopefully.

I've found that the crowds are not too bad if you go in the evening on day after thanksgiving, people are shopped out by about 4. So I would try that, but be prepared to not get any help from sells people if that is what you are looking for because they will be pooped or have the second shift take over.

You know if it makes you feel any better I believe that companies don't really make clothes that fit anyone I am very thin and what you would consider the typical 'size zero' template and I can never find anything that fits me either. It would be nice if they actually designed clothes to fit people

Sounds like a good idea. I think I'll go then. I'm not worried about not getting any help because when I went on Monday I didn't get any help then either and it was dead. It is really hard to find things that fit and it stinks doesn't it? Plus I'm only 5'2" so everything will be too long on me. Having to get two different sizes that are located in two different departments is my main problem right now. If only I would have started WW a month or so earlier I might not have that problem. Actually I could use some help at the store figuring out how the jacket is supposed to fit, especially on my arms or when moving my arms more specifically. Seriously this is fun times. :cool:

I wish I could come with you, it is super hard to do this stuff on your own especially for something so important. I just want to fly out there for a shopping trip

I wish I could come with you, it is super hard to do this stuff on your own especially for something so important. I just want to fly out there for a shopping trip

Sounds great! When can you be here? :laugh:

I would try Express and Limited if you have those by you. You can buy the pants and jacket seperate, and they have petite/short lengths for some of the pants styles. Limited carries packable travel suits, which might be a nice thing to get. You can usually get pants, jacket, AND skirt in the same fabric, and sometimes they have good sales.

Houston...

I have a suit!!!

Way to go, some dancing bananas for you girl:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

where did you get it

I got it at Macys. I worked hard to find one there so I didn't have to find someone random to tailor it. So I ask the girl about it at the counter and she says the only Macys around here that does tailoring is the one at the Galleria mall which is all the freak the way over in Dallas. Oh and I got a black one but I just bought a light pink shirt and blue/purple shirt to wear with it. I still have to get a new bra and new shoes so that will probably happen tomorrow after I meet with my group. I'll have to figure out what to do about tailoring.

nordstroms will do tailoring at a fairly low price with a fairly quick turn around even for merchandise bought elsewhere

Hey thanks! I will definitely have to check into that tomorrow. Okay I have another question. In order to accomodate, let's just say my "assets", I had to buy a bigger shirt. However my arms are short and so the sleeves are longer than they should be. If the arms of the jacket can be shortened, which they kind of need to be, then even more of my shirt will show and it won't look right. Would you suggest maybe trying to pin it inside to the jacket so it might bunch up slightly in the arm or fold it or what?

^^

Well I am going to be getting a suit now too!! And.. I think I am going to have the same problem as you EEL08, I have a pretty big chest area also and it does not work in shirts!! Im guessing that the pinning is a good idea.. unless you can somehow cut down the other shirt too?.. though, i dont really know what im talking about even, ive never owned nice clothes before..

:laugh: Yeah I'll probably end up pinning it. I'm glad someone else doesn't exactly know what they're doing. As it is right now I'm wearing pajamas and would for the entire day if I didn't have to go meet my group to work on our presentation. Oh and it's not just a Sunday thing, if I'm home I'm in pajamas.

I'm glad you finally found your suit. Good luck :luck::luck::luck: on Friday. You're going to love it!! I'm having a really hard time with the thought of giving up my DCOM acceptance bc I'm scared I'm going to change my mind.

I'm glad you finally found your suit. Good luck :luck::luck::luck: on Friday. You're going to love it!! I'm having a really hard time with the thought of giving up my DCOM acceptance bc I'm scared I'm going to change my mind.

I am currently going through the same thing t-funk. I am scared to turn down DCOM. I wish we could hold on to that acceptance a little while longer before deciding.

I'm with ya' there.

Woo Woo!!! :clap:I'm so glad you found one! I got mine at Macy's too ;) Best of luck to you on Friday! I'll be sending good thoughts your way! Make sure you come right back here and let us know how it went! :luck::luck:

YAAYYY you have your suit!!!!! :D

I'm driving up on Thursday morning and hopefully will get there before 6. If you're flying in, are you gonna rent at car from Knoxville and drive down to Harrogate? How long will that take?? I hope you can get to the pizza place there soon after you land! And no worries, i'll fill you in on anything that you may have missed! ;)

Sounds like that you have a busy week ahead of you! Try to relax before hand and boogie down in your new suit! You'll do great on the big day! :)

Yay! Congrats on the suit EEL! That's a huge hurdle to jump over. Good luck on your interview. From all of your posts, it sounds like you'll rock your interview with your personality! :)
Okay, for your sleeve issue I would cuff the sleeves of your blouse a few times or roll them up until they are the right length of your jacket, then safety pin them just inside the end of the jacket sleeves. Cuffing the sleeves will probably be the most comfortable rather than just pinning and no cuffs, because then you won't have extra fabric that feels baggy under the jacket sleeves. That should solve the length problem.

Woo Woo!!! :clap:I'm so glad you found one! I got mine at Macy's too ;) Best of luck to you on Friday! I'll be sending good thoughts your way! Make sure you come right back here and let us know how it went! :luck::luck:

Thanks prions! I will try to post here as soon after my interview as possible. I will be driving back to Knoxville to stay with a friend for the weekend and hopefully see a lot of other girls I went to school with. I'm so going to cry when my husband drops me off at the airport. :cry:

YAAYYY you have your suit!!!!! :D

I'm driving up on Thursday morning and hopefully will get there before 6. If you're flying in, are you gonna rent at car from Knoxville and drive down to Harrogate? How long will that take?? I hope you can get to the pizza place there soon after you land! And no worries, i'll fill you in on anything that you may have missed! ;)

Sounds like that you have a busy week ahead of you! Try to relax before hand and boogie down in your new suit! You'll do great on the big day! :)

I'm not flying in until about 6:15 or so. It's supposed to take 1.5 hours to get up to Harrogate. I plan on driving straight to the pizza place to see if I can catch anyone. Will you have a cell phone on you? To be honest I feel so much better that someone I "know" will be there too. :D