RDickerson

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
Denton, Tx
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm at the point of deciding whether I want to become a DO or an MD. What I do know is that I want to become an anesthesiologist. I've done some research and most Anes. I've seen are M.D. I have found some D.O. Anesthesiologists, but I need some feedback.

Basically, I wanted to ask you all that have finished Medical School for input, I really don't want to ask on the pre-med boards because I don't feel like inciting any flame wars...enough of that goes on already.

I have no problem with either, I think that D.O.'s are just as qualified and I really think OMM is amazing and the results work, but MY concern is residency. Are my chances for residency second-rate because I will have graduated from a Osteopathic school?

And what about IN residency. Will an allopathic school better prepare me for what's ahead than an Osteopathic school?

I need about as much feedback as you all care to give me. Thank you for reading this.

--Ryan

drfeelgood

In Gas We Trust
15+ Year Member
May 4, 2002
Southern California
Status
Attending Physician
Everything being equal, I would choose the MD. (If you are sure you just want to pass gas) Why waste all that time learning OMM when you're not going to use it. (trust me, I'm a DO in an allopathic gas program) You'll have more time in an allopathic school to learn solid General Medicine. I think it might be a little easier getting into good programs from a US MD school, although I have classmates who matched into gas at UCSF, UCI and Penn.

P.S... Dr. Andrew Taylor Still would be rolling over in his grave if he saw what I did in the name of Osteopathic Medicine!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Good Luck, KP

IV Doc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2004
Status
In general I would choose a MD because while it may not be fair some programs would prefer a MD over a DO just out of familiarity assuming the same credentials. Having said this their are numerous DOs in anesthesia but why start one step behind unless you are devoted to OMM.

drfeelgood

In Gas We Trust
15+ Year Member
May 4, 2002
Southern California
Status
Attending Physician
IV Doc said:
In general I would choose a MD because while it may not be fair some programs would prefer a MD over a DO just out of familiarity assuming the same credentials. Having said this their are numerous DOs in anesthesia but why start one step behind unless you are devoted to OMM.
I was devoted to OMM, just turned out I wasn't very good at it. So I abandoned Family Practice/OMM and went into GAS. (and according to My Quarterly RRC reviews, I'm doing a decent job in anesthesia) ....not even a step behind my allopathic counterparts. :love:

Atropine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2004
Status
I don't think it necessarily depends upon which title you prefer; rather, it depends upon which title the residencies prefer. There is a very prevalent stigma against DOs in most residency programs of all specialties with the exception of FP. From their perspective(but not mine--just to clarify), most individuals who go to osteopathic schools are those who weren't qualified to enter allopathic schools. As a DO you are indeed starting at least two steps behind an MD when applying for competitive residencies. If you truly have a choice between the two(as you say) and you are aspiring to enter a competitive specialty, I think it is a no-brainer to go the MD route.

doc05

2K Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2003
U.S.A.
Visit site
Status
the question is not MD or DO (we all know that they are the same, but some residency programs are MD-biased). the question is how the heck does a premedical student decide on a specialty, least of all anesthesiology -- a field that most nonanesthesia physicians don't even understand.

OP
R

RDickerson

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
Denton, Tx
Status
Pre-Medical
Let's just say I study...alot.

I don't limit myself to books though, I also study people. When I walk into a hospital I look at the doctor's faces, their reactions, the way they talk, etc. It gives me an idea of how they view their jobs and how they view themselves (more or less)

I'm the kind of loser who can't do anything unless he has a set plan. I'm not saying the plan won't CHANGE, but it's something to always work for, to strive for. Out of all the fields I've researched, I think gas is amazing simply because of the fact you stated, not much is known about it. It's open for pioneers...there is so much to be learned, and it's where I want to base my study.