Questions pertaining to selecting classes for re-take DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdog13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time poster.

Background: I graduated from UD this past may and am looking to apply for DO school not this cycle but the following one.

I need to retake orgo II seeing as I got a C-, and I want to retake another course that I didn't do so hot in.

My questions:

1) Must the class of interest, lets say orgo II , be listed in a transfer matrix between my 4 year university (UD) and the school I wish to take the course at?

2) If it does not need to be listed in a transfer matrix, then does that mean I shall choose the class that most closely resembles the course I am looking to retake?

My thought process is that I do not need to verify that the course appear in a transfer matrix between the university I graduated at, and the intended college of enrollment, seeing as I have already graduated and it shouldn't matter that my university accepts these as transfer credits.

My thought process also tells me that by it being in the transfer matrix, the class DEFINITELY will suffice as a retake of the course in the eyes of accomas.

Please shed some light and experience.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that it does not necessarily meet the criteria of 1), although if you can find a class that is convenient for you to take (proximity, schedule, etc) that does meet that criteria, it certainly couldn't hurt. However, the ability to replace classes ultimately resides with AACOMAS. As long as it is listed under the CHEM (or equivalent) department, is named similarly (organic chemistry II) for instance, and has a similar class description, odds are it will replace. You can always call AACOMAS and ask them if you're inclined to do so. Basically, 1) is not absolutely necessary, but couldn't hurt, and 2) would also likely suffice.

Good luck!

just curious- what is UD?
Also the above poster is spot on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would assume it's just the name of the college OP attended...my guess is University of Dayton or Delaware. Could be anywhere though!

yes, Univ. of Delaware

Thanks for the answer!