Questions to ask on interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Oops

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking about what it was like when I was interviewing and some of the things that I know now and thought it would be good to write em down here so you guys could have an idea.

1. Whats the curriculum/Are classes recorded? I really wanted to do a systems based curriculum and am really glad that my school does it, I think its the best way to go.

2. How much dedicated boards study time/What board review does the school provide?
This will be important later on. The normal seems to be about 4 weeks, Id be more comfortable with 6. Some schools have free Qbanks and stuff.

3. Rotations sites-How many are close to the school, is housing provided etc. Are students generally happy with the sites? This will be the hardest question to have answered/understand. But at the very least if it seems that the majority of rotations are changing alot or have problems being set up it could be a red flag.

Dont ask the people giving tours how they like the school, find some random student if you can, which shouldnt be too hard.

Members don't see this ad.

I generally asked what direction the interviewers thought that osteopathic medicine was heading in the future due to its increasing popularity and overall acceptance. This is a pretty good stand-by if you dont have anything school specific. This can often be the case b/c schools usually do a pretty exhaustive job of informing you about their school during throughout the day.

Can also give you a chance to flex a little bit of your own knowledge or experience with osteopathic medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked my interviewers to tell me why I should want to go to their school.

:thumbup: that one makes them actually think for a second its kind of funny to watch

I was just thinking about what it was like when I was interviewing and some of the things that I know now and thought it would be good to write em down here so you guys could have an idea.

1. Whats the curriculum/Are classes recorded? I really wanted to do a systems based curriculum and am really glad that my school does it, I think its the best way to go.

2. How much dedicated boards study time/What board review does the school provide?
This will be important later on. The normal seems to be about 4 weeks, Id be more comfortable with 6. Some schools have free Qbanks and stuff.

3. Rotations sites-How many are close to the school, is housing provided etc. Are students generally happy with the sites? This will be the hardest question to have answered/understand. But at the very least if it seems that the majority of rotations are changing alot or have problems being set up it could be a red flag.

Dont ask the people giving tours how they like the school, find some random student if you can, which shouldnt be too hard.

Some of these questions they might actually answer prior to your interview, in info sites, meeting with current students, etc. What I ended up asking was about specific types of research projects available, international exposure, and the type of help they provide for struggling students.

Good luck!

Is that a banana in your pocket?
+1 for international exposure.