Quick question about the timeline of the application process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tegan05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I did a search and couldn't find anything relevant.

Do you have to have all prereqs finished before submitting the VMCAS application? If it is due in October and school doesn't start until the following year, is it normal to be finishing up classes in the time between that? Are most applicants rising seniors or have they already graduated with a degree?

Members don't see this ad.

Each school has requirements about how many requirements you can leave until after you submit your application. Generally, it's 1-3 courses. Most schools require you to have all of your prereqs finished the spring semester before you expect to matriculate. Many people apply following their junior year (although I am applying following my senior year). It's best to check with individual schools for their specific requirements, by email, their website, or the VMSAR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Excellent, thanks! That link was just what I needed.

I went over most of the US schools and it seems that the majority accept classes taken through that spring semester after applications. Here's a little summation though. There were a couple I didn't see but I'll admit I haven't search too hard.

WSU, NCSU, UF, Iowa, Wisconsin, Oklahoma- complete by Spring

Penn- Fall

Ohio- Fall, one class by Spring

Michigan- 50% science prereqs completed at application
.Cornell- all but twelve credits of the prerequisite course work must be .
.completed with one semester of any incomplete two-.
.semester series in progress at the time of application.

Purdue? Kansas? Tufts?

Excellent, thanks! That link was just what I needed.

I went over most of the US schools and it seems that the majority accept classes taken through that spring semester after applications. Here's a little summation though. There were a couple I didn't see but I'll admit I haven't search too hard.

WSU, NCSU, UF, Iowa, Wisconsin, Oklahoma- complete by Spring

Penn- Fall

Ohio- Fall, one class by Spring

Michigan- 50% science prereqs completed at application
.Cornell- all but twelve credits of the prerequisite course work must be .
.completed with one semester of any incomplete two-.
.semester series in progress at the time of application.

Purdue? Kansas? Tufts?

When you say "fall" not sure what you mean but for Penn, you only need to complete pre-reqs by matriculation time... So, you can finish up classes in the summer right before school (if you dare - I would highly discourage it). From the website:

"Yes, frequently prerequisites are being completed during the application year. All prerequisite courses must be completed by the time you register for classes at our school."

*By the way, that is true at Tufts as well.
*Similar at CSU (must be completed by 7/15).
*Used to be true at UCDavis as well but they have a new policy now. Please check on that.

One thing to consider is the competitiveness of your application. It is my understanding, albeit anecdotally, that an applicant with all their pre-reqs completed (and performed well in them) has a stronger app than an applicant who has pre-reqs pending. That is assuming all other things are equal- which they never truly are... Just food for thought.