Quick questions about UIC Pre-Pharm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dszeliga

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys well im gonna be a new transfer at uic next year for my second year of prepharm...

i was just wondering how some of you liked the school and if you could help pick out some classes...

i was wondering if anyone knew the difference between mvsc 251 and mvsc 253 one is 5 credits and the other is 4 but with "extensive computer use required" also do you need to take both 1st and 2nd semester for pharm ..

also what comm should i take 100 or 102 any differences?

for physics should i take general or introductory or does it matter ... i am in genearl 1 right now at purdue and wondering if it would be really hard to take gen 2 at uic since im not really good at physics thanks guys !!!

finally what is a human anatomy class that i would take for say midwestern ...

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

i just came up with a schedule since im registering tomorow morning ... i was hoping someone could advise me how reasonable it would be and wheter it would be impossible or not

Chem 232 - 4 Org 1
Chem 233 - 1 Lab
Phys 142 - 4 Gen Phys 2
MVSC 251 - 5 Human anatomy
Stats 101 - 4 stats for midwestern

Hey. I transferred to UIC after two years at U of Iowa, and I'm glad I did. Iowa was great, and I love the university, but UIC has been especially good to me. My research experience at UIC was awesome, and I was just accepted to the College of Pharmacy. :)

I did not take any of my anatomy at UIC, so I'm not sure on that. A very useful resource is the PrePharm Coursework Guide located here
http://128.248.232.63/pharmacy/prePharmacyGuide/prePharmacyGuide_form.asp
That'll tell you what you need to take at UIC, and whether your courses from Purdue will meet UIC's requirements. I do know that you have to take both the first and second semester at UIC.

I also did not take any of my communication classes at UIC, so I can't give you advice from personal experience there either. However, the coursework guide should help you out. Just be aware that Midwestern wants 3 hours from a speech class, and UIC wants 2. I believe the intro speech class that UIC offers is only 2 hours, so if you plan to also apply to MWU, you may want to take your speech class at a community college for the 3 hours (that's what I did).

Physics 2 is probably the hardest pharm pre-req at UIC, but it's doable. It'll look better than introductory, and I'll bet that UIC will give you more points for it (their admissions decisions are based on a point system). Take it.

The two-semester anatomy sequence at UIC will satisfy MWU's requirements.

I like your schedule. My first semester at UIC was similar. I believe I took Gen Phys I, Org I, Org Lab I, and Calc III.

Welcome to UIC :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Comm 100 is a 3 hour course, and I believe Comm 102 is 3 hours, also. The difference is that Comm 100 is a true public speaking course. You'll give several speeches in the course. When I went through prepharm, Comm 100 was the only approved course.
For Mvsc 251, there is a computer option to it. It was not around when I took the course.
I took Phys 105-108. UIC doesn't care if you take the algebra based or calculus based course. Physics is murder at UIC. Average grade for Physics 2 is about 40%.
One of the two organic chem 1 lecture sections has already closed.
With MVSC 251, if you are not officially recorded as a pre-pharm student, the system will not allow you to register.
There are only two seats left in Stats 101.

will it look bad if i go from general physics 1 at purdue to intro physics 2 at uic?

also if say i only decide to take 14 credit hours next semester will that put me at a disadvantage as not having a hard course load? if i take engl over the summer i will only take chem, phys, and mvsc in the fall

thanks for all the info guys

MWU doesn't accept COMM 102 as public speaking course, I called and asked so either take COMM 100 at UIC or a community college, I hear its time consuming at UIC and they really don't care where u take it (thats what I'm doing, and I got in)

Also I'm almost positive it won't look bad to take physics I at purdue, its a 4 year university...just try to do good at physics 2 as well. I took physics I at a CC and physics II at UIC and it worked out fine. 14 hours sounds decent, just keep your extracurriculars and work/research commitments rounded out.

MWU doesn't accept COMM 102 as public speaking course, I called and asked so either take COMM 100 at UIC or a community college, I hear its time consuming at UIC and they really don't care where u take it (thats what I'm doing, and I got in)

Also I'm almost positive it won't look bad to take physics I at purdue, its a 4 year university...just try to do good at physics 2 as well. I took physics I at a CC and physics II at UIC and it worked out fine. 14 hours sounds decent, just keep your extracurriculars and work/research commitments rounded out.

sorry i think i made it confusing ... i meant going from a general physics course to a introductory physics course ...

Hey guys well im gonna be a new transfer at uic next year for my second year of prepharm...

i was just wondering how some of you liked the school and if you could help pick out some classes...

i was wondering if anyone knew the difference between mvsc 251 and mvsc 253 one is 5 credits and the other is 4 but with "extensive computer use required" also do you need to take both 1st and 2nd semester for pharm ..

for physics should i take general or introductory or does it matter ... i am in genearl 1 right now at purdue and wondering if it would be really hard to take gen 2 at uic since im not really good at physics thanks guys !!!

thanks in advance

Organic chem is a bitch at uic. I'm taking it right now and doing horrible. Study a lot.

will it look bad if i go from general physics 1 at purdue to intro physics 2 at uic?

It doesn't look bad if UIC doesn't consider it the point system, but there's no way it ever looks better than taking the full general sequence. I encourage you not to shy away from gen phys II just as a matter of principle. However, you may also want to consider that calculus is the true language of physics for a reason: it's the easiest, most proper, and most convenient way to describe the material if you take the time to get comfortable with it. Trying to learn physics using indirect means actually seems harder to me, and you probably can't gain the same understanding using simpler math. I don't know the exact details of the non-calculus approach to physics, but I have heard of some people taking the intro course who have been exposed to calculus saying that it's a hassle to avoid the calculus!

I thought Orgo was easier than physics. Both entry level physics are 100 level courses. Very few pre-pharms take 141/142. Both physics are hard. If you are good in math, you'll do fine in them.

thanks in advance

I'll have finished all of my pre-reqs at uic after this fall. I've taken all of those courses at UIC and could probably give you a heads up.

Comm 102 - This course is based primarily on the "nuances" of interpersonal communication rather than public speaking. You learn topics such as how to comfort others, how to listen, how to read body language etc. There are no speeches to give, but the topics are very interesting. Note that Midwestern WILL NOT accept this course as a public speaking course, only as a general ed.

Comm 100 - Public speaking course. 3 Speeches, 2 midterms. The difficulty depends on the professor that you get. If you PM me, I'll send you the name of my professor - who is one of the best and most laid back (in my opinion).

MVSC 251/252 - There are two sections for this course, one internet and one face to face. Lectures are posted online for both. There is a lot of course material to cover and two professors teach the course. One is an MD that teaches the physiology portion of the course and the other is a PhD that teaches the anatomy portion. Both anatomy and physiology are taught back to back for each unit; however, 252 is more physiology and 251 is more anatomy. The professors are great at what they do and you don't even need to buy the book! Cadaver labs are interesting, the TA's rock! Lastly, yes, you do need to take BOTH courses to fulfill the requirements for UIC pharm or Midwestern.

Physics is a different story, there are two courses dealing with the same materials. PHYS 105/107 is algebra based and 141/142 is calculus based. Which one you take is completely up to you as UIC and Midwestern accept both. Midwestern only requires one semester of physics.

If you have any other questions about the school, please let me know!

i just came up with a schedule since im registering tomorow morning ... i was hoping someone could advise me how reasonable it would be and wheter it would be impossible or not

Chem 232 - 4 Org 1
Chem 233 - 1 Lab
Phys 142 - 4 Gen Phys 2
MVSC 251 - 5 Human anatomy
Stats 101 - 4 stats for midwestern

Chem 232 -GOOD LUCK if you get Dr. Miranda for 232, you'll DIE with that course load. He is the BEST organic professor at UIC (I had him for 2 semesters) and also the HARDEST. He is loved by pre-medicine students because he prepares them THOROUGHLY organic wise.

Chem 233 - There is only 1 lab professor and he can be very mean and intimidating. This course is only 1 credit hour, but it has enough material to cover 3 credit hours. Also, Organic Lab is NOT like General Chemistry lab where the lab reinforces the material of the course. You need to not only be on top of, but AHEAD of the course material for Organic Lab if you want to take the courses simultaneously. They warn you about this the very first day of lab. Out of my Organic I Lab (which I took during Organic II), we had 3 students taking Orgo 1 lecture and lab simultaneously. This is out of several that dropped early on. Suffice it to say, they didn't do very well (I believe 1 failed).

Phys 142 - HEAVY load. That's all I have to say.

MVSC 251 - HEAVY. Read my post before this.

Stats 101 - Relatively easy, but again, it depends on the professor that you get. If you PM me, I'll tell you the name of my current professor. Great guy, laid back, easy.

I'm sorry, but you must be absolutely insane to take all of these courses together. That, or you're a genius. The credit hours listed are misleading. You have enough course material to cover 30 credit hours! DO NOT DO IT. I took Chem 232 with TWO Biology courses (4 and 5 credit hours) and a 3 credit hour economics course at the same time. It goes without saying that I absolutely DIED that semester and got my FIRST "B" (Organic) because of the amount of material. I couldn't even imagine physics, anatomy, and organic with stats at the same time. I know you're in a hurry to finish, but unless you've been getting straight A's your entire life and know you're a genius, I'd seriously say don't do it. Not that I'm saying you're not smart, but this will burn you out.

I was going through pre-pharm the first semester Miranda taught. I had the other professor though. The professor before Miranda left because he couldn't get tenure. For organic 1, I had Crich, and for Organic 2, I had Ghosh. I remember when MVSC was KINE.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chem 232 -GOOD LUCK if you get Dr. Miranda for 232, you'll DIE with that course load. He is the BEST organic professor at UIC (I had him for 2 semesters) and also the HARDEST. He is loved by pre-medicine students because he prepares them THOROUGHLY organic wise.

Chem 233 - There is only 1 lab professor and he can be very mean and intimidating. This course is only 1 credit hour, but it has enough material to cover 3 credit hours.

Phys 142 - HEAVY load. That's all I have to say.

MVSC 251 - HEAVY. Read my post before this.

Stats 101 - Relatively easy, but again, it depends on the professor that you get. If you PM me, I'll tell you the name of my current professor. Great guy, laid back, easy.

I'm sorry, but you must be absolutely insane to take all of these courses together. That, or you're a genius. The credit hours listed are misleading. You have enough course material to cover 30 credit hours! DO NOT DO IT. I took Chem 232 with TWO Biology courses (4 and 5 credit hours) and a 3 credit hour economics course at the same time. It goes without saying that I absolutely DIED that semester and got my FIRST "B" (Organic) because of the amount of material. I couldn't even imagine physics, anatomy, and organic with stats at the same time. I know you're in a hurry to finish, but unless you've been getting straight A's your entire life and know you're a genius, I'd seriously say don't do it. Not that I'm saying you're not smart, but this will burn you out.

I have a question for you? What is the B usually at after the curve. Miranda told me it was a 70, but in the cutoffs for the test it is usually a 65. And if i took anatomy at another school can i finish anatomy at that school in order to get in UIC pharmacy. Apparently you can only take anatomy in sequence at uic

Luol Deng Fan, as far as anatomy goes, yes you can take it at a community college or what have you. It is probably easier too because most of them offer it in a 1 semester course. Breaking a sequence (1 semester at 1 school and the last at UIC or vice versa) is allowed, but NOT recommended. This is especially true for applying to pharmacy college because community colleges offer condensed materials in 1 semester that span both semesters of MVSC at UIC. Your best bet is to take the condensed 1 semester course to fulfill the requirements for UIC or midwestern pharm at a community college rather than doing a broken sequence.

As far as the curve goes, both semesters I've had with Miranda (Organic 1 + 2) it broke down to >65 was a B and >80 was an A; however, this depends primarily on how the class is doing. Unfortunately for me, I had most of the overachievers during both semesters. They would spend their afternoons in Miranda's office going over the material. I believe he even referred to them as "his kids" during class once (don't quote me). They basically ruined the curve for the rest of the class. For the most part though, the numbers I posted were the approximate cutoff's for most of the semester.

I was going through pre-pharm the first semester Miranda taught. I had the other professor though. The professor before Miranda left because he couldn't get tenure. For organic 1, I had Crich, and for Organic 2, I had Ghosh. I remember when MVSC was KINE.

Hmmm. I also had Crich and Ghosh. Did you take those in the Fall of 2004 and Spring of 2005? If so, we were in the same class! :laugh: You must have started pharmacy school right after that... Don't you have a degree though? I'm surprised that those were among your last courses if you completed a degree.

As far as the curve goes, both semesters I've had with Miranda (Organic 1 + 2) it broke down to >65 was a B and >80 was an A; however, this depends primarily on how the class is doing. Unfortunately for me, I had most of the overachievers during both semesters. They would spend their afternoons in Miranda's office going over the material. I believe he even referred to them as "his kids" during class once (don't quote me). They basically ruined the curve for the rest of the class. For the most part though, the numbers I posted were the approximate cutoff's for most of the semester.

i can confirm these grade cutoffs. i took orgo 1 last semester with miranda and A was ~80% (i think it might have been as low as 78%) and B was ~60%.

just to let you know, orgo 2 has a lot more material (probably 3x more). i'm taking it this semester with miranda again and i think i've screwed up my chances of getting an A. so far, average on the exams have been ~50% for all three.

CHM 234-Spring 2008-Exam 3
Average: 49
A: 100-80
B: 79-62
C: 61-44
D: 43-32
F: 31 and below
finals are next week. yippee.

i can confirm these grade cutoffs. i took orgo 1 last semester with miranda and A was ~80% (i think it might have been as low as 78%) and B was ~60%.

just to let you know, orgo 2 has a lot more material (probably 3x more). i'm taking it this semester with miranda again and i think i've screwed up my chances of getting an A. so far, average on the exams have been ~50% for all three.

finals are next week. yippee.

In all honesty, I found orgo 2 to be easier simply because it was all brute memorization. I had about 300 note cards that'd I'd flip through a few times a day! Reaction after reaction after reaction after reaction........

Hmmm. I also had Crich and Ghosh. Did you take those in the Fall of 2004 and Spring of 2005? If so, we were in the same class! :laugh: You must have started pharmacy school right after that... Don't you have a degree though? I'm surprised that those were among your last courses if you completed a degree.
I took it Fall 04/Spring 05. You had to love Crich's practice exams. I do not have a degree.

I took it Fall 04/Spring 05. You had to love Crich's practice exams. I do not have a degree.

Well that's an interesting coincidence. I thought Crich and Ghosh were both good, especially Crich. It's a shame that we've lost both of them =( You and I had them for their last semester of teaching.

Crich only left this past year. He taught afterwards in 2006 and 2007.

Ah yes, you're right. It was just Ghosh that we had for his last semester. I have a friend who TA'ed for Crich's last semester. That's probably what I was thinking of.

Yes i got a B in org 2. I had a 40 on the 3rd exam and still managed to pull it off.

w00t!

i'm glad the semester is over. vacation time!!!!