Quit Research Position?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I quit?

• Yes

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
D

deleted868947

So, I've been a research assistant in this public health organization for about 9 months (12-20 hours a week depending on my course load). I initially joined because I met the PI who's fairly notable in his field. He encouraged me to apply, but since joining I've had no contact with him. I just work with other research assistants. Overall, it hasn't been a bad experience, but it hasn't been great either. I enjoy the people I work with, but I haven't learned a ton. The work is pretty repetitive. (I primarily conduct questionnaires to collect data.) RAs join and leave all the time, usually around 9-12 months. Few stay over a year. We all verbally agree to a one year commitment when we accept the position

I'm honestly just over the whole thing at this point. It is my first research position so it was interesting to me at first, but now I dread going in each time. There's really no room for growth (individual projects, publications, anything beside questionnaires). In addition, the RAs are all pretty replaceable. I probably won't ask for a letter of recommendation from this position if I leave early. Also, I'm 95% sure that if I were to ask for a letter of recommendation from this position it would be written by the RA "supervisor" rather than the PI.

Overall, I don't think I'm getting something worthwhile out of this experience anymore. I'm also working in another position right now that is on track for a 2nd or 3rd author publication and international conference presentation. It would be nice to have this LOR. Logically, quitting is option that makes the most sense. My time can be put to better use. But, a part of me feels bad about quitting?

Do y'all think its worth it to stick out for another 3 months? Will there be any major repercussions if I leave early? Would it still be okay to list this position on resumes/applications/etc? Let me know if y'all need any clarification.

Members don't see this ad.

No pubs? No posters even. Leave now

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you get to analyze the data, form narratives based on the analysis, and potentially present or publish the narrative? Do you learn any useful skills? Make meaningful connections?

Do you think there be any major repercussions if I leave a few months shy of my commitment?
As long as you didn't sign any legal contract binding you to the commitment there aren't "major repercussions."

No to analysis and no to meaningful connections. Useful skills; improved public speaking skills, but that's it.