Quitting a Post-Secondary Experience after an acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharo98

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Ok.....this is my first post to SDN, but I have been reading the boards for quite some time. I have been accepted to my first choice school (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill) a couple weeks ago and I have a dilemma. The acceptance form says that my acceptance is contingent on completing all coursework and PROGRAMS. Now, the coursework thing doesn't apply to me since I have already graduated.
BUT!.....On my AMCAS application I put down my employment at the NIH and volunteering at a hospital. Can I quit these obligations, now that I am accepted? Do I still have to continue these tasks?
I really, really don't like this job and I see no reason to continue it since I do not care about recommendations or getting my name on a paper. I wanna do something fun before I start med school like be a bartender ;)

Any advice would be much appreciated!!!! Thank you so much in advance!

~Pharo~

Members don't see this ad.

I don't why you couldn't quit if you wanted to, but if you are really concerned, just call them up and ask them. As long as you have an acceptance letter in hand, they cannot really retract it, unless there is a really good reason. Make sure you put a positve spin on the situation, though. Saying you want to quit a good NIH job to be a bartender will not be impressive. Make up another excuse.

I am sure that "programs" refers more to an academic program such as a Masters or PhD program. These are things they can verify that you finished (via a degree) but they are very likely not going to make sure you are employed at the exact same place until the day you matriculate! Congratulations on the acceptance:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to SDN, pharo98!! :) I think the "and programs" refers to academic programs. I don't think it's necessary to call or do anything at all. They are not going to be checking that everyone continues with all their EC's. The only thing they will check is your transcript to make sure you a) got the degree you were working on and b) maintained an acceptable GPA. Congrats on your acceptance!! :clap: :cool: :clap:

Yup - you can quit! The apps are all about what you are doing up to the point of submission & what you're contemplating doing until school starts in the fall. No one from admissions is going to stalk you and call you at home to make sure you're still volunteering at the hospital after you're accepted. They have way too much crap to do already.
Congrats! And, enjoy you're new found freedom - it'll be gone in a few months!

Thanks for all that advice! I think I will probably go ahead and quit within a few months. If I get overly worried, I may call UNC and ask them about it. I'll tell them I wanna be close to my family ;)

~Pharo~