Quitting Job Before Acceptance (After Interview)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

americanm00se

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I quit my job before I got accepted, would the adcoms know and make it so that I am out of consideration for my spot?

I already interviewed with them.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been accepted to my absolute last choice school (DO), but I am pending on some MD interviews I haven't heard back from. If all else fails, I'll end up going there.

But I am very interested in going into ortho, and I would much prefer to go to an MD school. I'm so scared of quitting and having the schools find out, but the job is SO toxic and soul-sucking (Even though it looks good on the CV.) I just wonder if it's worth sticking it out for a few months in order to not screw up my trajectory the next 4 years, and potentially the rest of my life.

OP...why on earth would anyone care (especially if it isn't a healthcare job)? Last year, I straight up walked out on a job the second after I hung up with an acceptance call. My boss even knew where I got accepted. I didn't care one bit.

Unprofessional? Sure. But guess what...my mental health was more important and any school worth attending would understand that. Even if it got back to your school, do you know how many people out there try to step on people accepted to medical school? I had a few colleagues I thought were friends start treating me like garbage after I got accepted. Quitting would certainly be understandable under many circumstances.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They're not God, even pre-med have the delusion that they are.

I swear, some of you seem like you're afraid to tie your shoes, lest some Adcom not like it.

If I quit my job before I got accepted, would the adcoms know and make it so that I am out of consideration for my spot?

I already interviewed with them.

Reactions: 11 users
They're not God, even pre-med have the delusion that they are.

I swear, some of you seem like you're afraid to tie your shoes, lest some Adcom not like it.
I think it's just one of those things where you feel like your future depends on it. As if the adcoms decide your future which might be semi true however not all adcoms are built the same I would guess. I'm sure they are human and different than one another so what might be good for one Adcom doesn't suffice for another.

I think it's just one of those things where you feel like your future depends on it. As if the adcoms decide your future which might be semi true however not all adcoms are built the same I would guess. I'm sure they are human and different than one another so what might be good for one Adcom doesn't suffice for another.
Yeah this bothers me a lot lol.

OP, I'm currently in a similar situation. I actually have a follow up interview for a new part time position today.

In the end, its about your own mental health. I was super nervous that this would have a negative effect on my app, but no job is worth your sanity! I even talked about me leaving my job in my interview! I told them how my current job was toxic and I found a more clinically relevant job where I would be able to work with people. The interviewer was very understanding, they're humans too!

nice picture bro.

Reactions: 1 user
OP, I'm currently in a similar situation. I actually have a follow up interview for a new part time position today.

In the end, its about your own mental health. I was super nervous that this would have a negative effect on my app, but no job is worth your sanity! I even talked about me leaving my job in my interview! I told them how my current job was toxic and I found a more clinically relevant job where I would be able to work with people. The interviewer was very understanding, they're humans too!
Did you already quit? And did you notify your earlier interviews that you quit?

Did you already quit? And did you notify your earlier interviews that you quit?
Sorry that was unclear,

I had an MD interview yesterday, where I mentioned I was leaving my job. The MD interviewer was very understanding and I did say I would be leaving my job due to the toxic environment and focus on money over patient outcomes. They were very understanding.

I have the actual follow up interview to meet the team for the new job in about an hour. If they offer me the job (which I'm very sure they will since im the only one they've called back)
I will be handing in my 1 week notice either today or tomorrow.

I was too lazy to read what all has been said, but I saw your original question.

They're never going to know. Also, I doubt they'd care. However, if you haven't gotten a school you think you'd go to, you might want to consider if you were around another cycle. It may look bad if you leave your job and then don't replace it with something else meaningful before you apply again

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah this bothers me a lot lol.
Again, you are giving adcoms too much power. This is a free country, you can quit your job whenever and however you like (no matter how unprofessional). Out of my 5 acceptances last year, nowhere did I see that my acceptance was conditional upon working at my current jobs until the day I moved away.

Academic dishonesty, failing to finish your required degree, and crimes are essentially the only ways to get thrown out of the door. Worrying about any other reasons is simply paranoia. Even if your boss knew where you interviewed and wrote a nasty email, it's simply a game of he-said, she-said and would probably make your employer look bad (jealous, angry, immature, etc.).

Relax.

Reactions: 1 users