R.I.P. - Dr. George Tiller

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coprolalia

Bored Certified
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This man was gunned down at his church. However you personally feel about the abortion issue, I cannot stress enough how stupid it is for anti-abortionist/pro-lifers to stoop to this level. Talk about a contradiction.

In my mind, people who do such things are no different in principle than the Taliban and Al Qaeda.

WICHITA, Kansas - Dr. George Tiller, who remained one of the nation's few providers of late-term abortions through decades of protests and attacks, was shot and killed Sunday in a church where he was serving as an usher and his wife was in the choir.

The gunman fled, but a 51-year-old suspect was arrested some 170 miles away in suburban Kansas City three hours after the shooting, Wichita Deputy Police Chief Tom Stolz said. Johnson County sheriff's spokesman Tom Erickson identified the man in custody as Scott Roeder, who has not been charged in the slaying.

President Barack Obama said he was shocked and outraged over the killing.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31029377/

Well, at least we can thank goodness that Obama was "shocked and outraged." :rolleyes:

-copro

Members don't see this ad.

With respect, the Anesthesiology forum is not the appropriate forum for this topic.

With respect, the Anesthesiology forum is not the appropriate forum for this topic.

And who the hell are you? :laugh:

Buzz off, kid.

We talk about everything here.

-copro

Members don't see this ad :)
People like this (the murdering gunman) give pro-lifers a bad name.

I completely disagreed with Tiller's abortion stances and practice, but whoever murdered this guy should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

This man was gunned down at his church. However you personally feel about the abortion issue, I cannot stress enough how stupid it is for anti-abortionist/pro-lifers to stoop to this level. Talk about a contradiction.

In my mind, people who do such things are no different in principle than the Taliban and Al Qaeda.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31029377/

Well, at least we can thank goodness that Obama was "shocked and outraged." :rolleyes:

-copro

A little over 2 years ago, I took care of a woman who abrupted. You see, she had been turned-away for a late-term abortion (23 weeker) at another facility that doesn't do late-term or high-risk pregnancies. She was 23-years-old, gravida 5, para 1 with the one living kid in a foster home. The result of her being turned away?

She went home and drank a bottle of gin and did what was probably a pound of cocaine.

Fortunately, she messed-up her lady parts so bad in the process that a TAH/BSO was done after the emergency c-section that saved both her and the baby's life. The other result? A live birth to a <1000 g preemie with ROP, IVH, and necrotizing fasciitis that resulted in a substantial portion of his gut being removed.

Tiller mostly did late-term abortions on high-risk pregnancies, the kind that would produce what used to be called "monsters" that would've otherwise had a short, painful existence before an early demise.

Tiller began providing abortion services in 1973. He acknowledged abortion was as socially divisive as slavery or prohibition but said the issue was about giving women a choice when dealing with technology that can diagnose severe fetal abnormalities before a baby is born.

I'm not saying he was right or wrong for his chosen profession - I'm not judging him. But, someone who apparently knows the will of God and, most probably, confused their inner monologue with the voice of Christ sure did.

Now, I'm just waiting to see how this plays out with Sotomayor's confirmation hearings.

-copro

A little over 2 years ago, I took care of a woman who abrupted. You see, she had been turned-away for a late-term abortion (23 weeker) at another facility that doesn't do late-term or high-risk pregnancies. She was 23-years-old, gravida 5, para 1 with the one living kid in a foster home. The result of her being turned away?

She went home and drank a bottle of gin and did what was probably a pound of cocaine.

Fortunately, she messed-up her lady parts so bad in the process that a TAH/BSO was done after the emergency c-section that saved both her and the baby's life. The other result? A live birth to a <1000 g preemie with ROP, IVH, and necrotizing fasciitis that resulted in a substantial portion of his gut being removed.

Tiller mostly did late-term abortions on high-risk pregnancies, the kind that would produce what used to be called "monsters" that would've otherwise had a short, painful existence before an early demise.

I'm not saying he was right or wrong for his chosen profession - I'm not judging him. But, someone who apparently knows the will of God and, most probably, confused their inner monologue with the voice of Christ sure did.

Now, I'm just waiting to see how this plays out with Sotomayor's confirmation hearings.

-copro

I'm just a lowly white man so my opinion probably isn't worth much. Maybe you could find a Latina to speak up? Her opinion is superior I hear. :thumbdown:

I'm just a lowly white man so my opinion probably isn't worth much. Maybe you could find a Latina to speak up? Her opinion is superior I hear. :thumbdown:

:laugh: :thumbup:

-copro

an absolute travesty.

i think as a lesson, any crazy pro-lifers have to play parent to a kid with tay-sachs, prader willi, etc - pick some crappy ones from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICD-10...s,_deformations_and_chromosomal_abnormalities

until said kid suffers an inevitable demise, while personally covering all expenses associated with a teenage mom's 4th kid.

not sure the point they were trying to make by actually MURDERING in CHURCH.

i agree, these guys are likely christian extremists and are just as bad as any other type of religious violent fundamentalists.

Copro,

Been meaning to tell you that's one NICE profile photo of Cristo Redentor on Corcovado in Rio. Did you snap it yourself?

I know the place well, you see my boys are half Brasilian.
Ok, back to the thread at hand...

D712

i agree, these guys are likely christian extremists and are just as bad as any other type of religious violent fundamentalists.

I'm with you. Do you think that the person responsible will tried as a terrorist? The tactics aren't much different.

The other result? A live birth to a <1000 g preemie with ROP, IVH, and necrotizing fasciitis that resulted in a substantial portion of his gut being removed.

I've taken care of plenty of these kids, and still see them crash delivered where I moonlight. It's tragic for all involved, plus the medical costs associated with keeping those kids alive for just a few weeks. Or worse, when we get them out of the NICU and their families just check out, leaving them to chronic care facilities. Not pretty.

I'm with you. Do you think that the person responsible will tried as a terrorist? The tactics aren't much different.

The other result? A live birth to a <1000 g preemie with ROP, IVH, and necrotizing fasciitis that resulted in a substantial portion of his gut being removed.

I've taken care of plenty of these kids, and still see them crash delivered where I moonlight. It's tragic for all involved, plus the medical costs associated with keeping those kids alive for just a few weeks. Or worse, when we get them out of the NICU and their families just check out, leaving them to chronic care facilities. Not pretty.

First off, I meant necrotizing enterocolitis, not fasciitis. (Just wanted to be clear... little slip there.)

And, yes, I agree with the rest of your post. I did a NICU rotation. It's completely tragic a lot of the time. I admire those dudes who can go in there, day in and day out, and deal with that. It has to take a toll.

-copro

Been meaning to tell you that's one NICE profile photo of Cristo Redentor on Corcovado in Rio. Did you snap it yourself

No, I pilfered it from the web. But, I wish I had. That is one hell of a picture, pun intended. Never been to Rio de Janiero, or South America for that matter. It's (the continent) on my list of places to go once the coin starts to roll in.

-copro

Nah, but perhaps it could be classified as a hate crime.

Nah, but perhaps it could be classified as a hate crime.

Regardless, I think the suspect will be tried to the fullest extent. There are subtle differences between terrorism and hate crimes. Typically, terrorism is defined as an act performed by a non-governmental actor in order to change policy...(one big distinction here) using the media.

There's lots of grey area here, this intel dates to my undergrad days at Columbia when I studied terrorism and wrote a thesis on Kaczynski - whom I argued wasn't a terrorist, but a mass killer, up until the point he published his manifesto. My prof gave me an A on the thesis. :) Teddy K was a VERY interesting case indeed.

Either way, if the suspect ends up being the guy who dunnit, it was clearly premeditated and he'll be facing some stiff jail time. Get it? riiiiiiiight.

D712